Coyote or dog attack

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
gcreekrch
GURU
GURU

Re: Coyote or dog attack

Post by gcreekrch » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:04 pm

Been dealing with predators since I was a kid.
The old man had a bunch of sheep and as has been mentioned coyotes usually cleaned up a lamb overnight. Have personally witness packs of 5 to 8 coyotes killing calves and eating the back end out of cows having difficult births on a couple big outfits my wife and I rode for when we were first married.

As a rule, dogs will attack the back end of prey, bears over the back and neck and cats go for the throat. Having said that, canines will go for the throat on smaller prey like lambs and calves.

Wolves will eat everything but the teeth on calves up to 400 lbs, even licking the grass clean of blood. Bears will lots of times leave the whole hide with lower legs attached as their only evidence.

We have had 412 cattle not return home from range since spring of 2003. During this same time period, BC's wild ungulate populations have taken a huge beating also. Sad situation that those decision makers responsible for predator control are more concerned with votes than what needs doing.

Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:05 pm

76 Bar wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:42 am
FWIW My :2cents:
Coyotes are cowardly opportunists, beneficial to the eco system and highly adaptable survivors. Its a proven fact that aggressive attempts to terminate them is extremely counterproductive. As noted above, my cattle (who are very protective) pay scant attention to coyotes cautiously scavenging amongst them. Altogether different story when my stock dogs are present and yes they are dog broke and because the dogs are well trained I rely on them to assist me during tagging & weighing. YMMV
IMO Coyotes are a handy scape goat for man's cattle mgt screw ups.
For obvious reasons, sheep are a different deal altogether and in most cases nesesitate 24/7 protection via LGD's etc.
As to who to blame in the death of the calf...you needed to be at the scene but I'd put my money on dog(s). Lost several registered cows, pairs and yrlg replacements a number of years back. All signs (extreme harassment, bodies covered in bite marks, limbs & faces torn off but no sign of feasting)...were clearly the work of dogs.
And yes, the offenders were eventually disposed. Carefully I might add as the offending owner was a major meth and dope producer. :frowns:

I agree 100% dogs are the culprit 99 times out of a 100. People see the coyotes dining on Rovers work and blame the coyote.
If you learn to tell the difference in the tracks and you find any dog tracks at the scene, you can bet the dog was the killer.
No one wants to believe their dog will join in on the fun either!
Doesn’t matter if it’s a weeny dog and a Great Dane they get packed up with two or theee others and they become a killing machine. The next morning they are laying on the porch resting from wiping out the neighbors livestock 5 miles from the house.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

WinterSpringsFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by WinterSpringsFarm » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:28 pm

We had a first calf heifer that as harassed by dogs one night. She ran through our fence and over to a neighbors place. He was able to milk her and put her in a pen so we could load her. When we got her home we realized she would never be the same, she had lost all her marbles.

I've also watched 3 dogs run down and kill deer with incredible precision, but never consumed them.

I would say dogs are your culprit

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:44 pm

I will add that one of my dogs is a Lab/Greyhound mix that has killed & subsequently eaten freakin' beavers (or the majority thereof). 'Yotes will startle the bejesus outta me when they run in a pack by the house in the middle of the night and I don't doubt they prey on the weak but generally have enough rabbits, small vermin to eat. I don't like coyotes anywhere near the herd & have seen them chase calves but have to agree they are primarily opportunistic.

southalberta
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by southalberta » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:06 am

A couple longhorn cows pay for themselves mighty quick just for predator control