Our President calf lost his mommy today. Very sad moment for us at Brookhill

Cattle problems.
Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Our President calf lost his mommy today. Very sad moment for us at Brookhill

Post by Brookhill Angus » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:41 pm

This cow was absolutely fine last night, and has always been a healthy cow, no issues at all. Went to check cattle today and saw this. Nobody else in the group is sick or showing any problems.

She was an Edella cow from Stone Gate, still fairly young. :(

She will be taken to University of Kentucky in the morning for a necropsy

Here is a video of it all.

http://bit.ly/2I0rswb

"When someone tells you it can't be done, it's more a reflection of their limitations, not yours"

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Our President calf lost his mommy today. Very sad moment for us at Brookhill

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:00 pm

How tight is that collar?

Sorry for your loss.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Re: Our President calf lost his mommy today. Very sad moment for us at Brookhill

Post by wbvs58 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:09 pm

That's a bit of a bummer BH. The calf looks ready to do it alone OK with a little bit of help. It will be interesting to hear what they find with the autopsy, doesn't seem to be any struggle on the ground in the video. I have had a couple of sudden deaths like that which I put down to botulism, the last was when I had a load of chicken litter dropped off, always the chance of a carcase or two in that stuff.

Ken

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:09 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:00 pm
How tight is that collar?

Sorry for your loss.
Thank you.

You can put a fist with a glove on it through the bottom. They all get checks and readjustments on them several times throughout the year. We have them where they won’t drop off, but will stay on if they scratch or rub on other cows.

She had access to high quality mineral, nothing was altered on her diet, and she was not introduced to lush pasture yet.
"When someone tells you it can't be done, it's more a reflection of their limitations, not yours"

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:11 pm

wbvs58 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:09 pm
That's a bit of a bummer BH. The calf looks ready to do it alone OK with a little bit of help. It will be interesting to hear what they find with the autopsy, doesn't seem to be any struggle on the ground in the video. I have had a couple of sudden deaths like that which I put down to botulism, the last was when I had a load of chicken litter dropped off, always the chance of a carcase or two in that stuff.

Ken
Thank you Ken

I think it was sudden. I will share the results with everyone else on CT, maybe it will help others.

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Post by M.Magis » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:13 pm

Found the same thing a couple weeks ago. I was worried about getting the calf penned and eating I didn’t look into why the cow died. I wish I had now. She was only 5, always healthy before.

bball
GURU
GURU

Post by bball » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:42 pm

MI secondary to obesity, BMI >50. :hide:
In all seriousness Brookhill, very sorry for your loss. Hate to find any dead cattle. Interested to hear necropsy results.
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop
Exercising compassion provides the most linear and fulfilling state of happiness.

Redgully
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Redgully » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:06 pm

I lost one a few years back suddenly, never worked out why, we put it down to salmonella poisoning as we recently had a flock of ibis turn up in the paddock. 12 gauge sorted them out and no problems since but still not sure that was the cause. Vet said possibly a abcess near the heart the way it all happened.

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Post by gizmom » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:32 pm

So sorry BH horrible to find one, did y’all have bad storms come through last night? We found one like that once and she had been hit by lighting. Probably not lighting but just a random thought. Very sorry for your loss, it hurts.

Gizmom
Respect give it to get it!

snoopdog
GURU
GURU

Post by snoopdog » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:39 pm

gizmom wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:32 pm
So sorry BH horrible to find one, did y’all have bad storms come through last night? We found one like that once and she had been hit by lighting. Probably not lighting but just a random thought. Very sorry for your loss, it hurts.

Gizmom I believe they did, and sorry for your loss bh
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Post by gizmom » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:06 pm

Snoop
The one we found didn’t have a mark on her, and she wasn’t under a tree but the theory was she was the only one in the kill zone of the strike. At that point even though we lost one we realized we were blessed that it wasn’t a bunch more. We found it the morning after the storm we actually lost the heifer calf not the dam, when we called the cows up the dam was bawling for her baby went looking and found something very similar to the photo BH shared. It just makes you feel ill and I mean that literally.

Gizmom
Last edited by gizmom on Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Respect give it to get it!

W.B.
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by W.B. » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:08 pm

Did she possibly overcenter?

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:01 pm

That stinks.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:30 pm

Sorry for your loss. It sucks, but it happens.

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:51 pm

gizmom wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:32 pm

Gizmom
Thank you, I appreciate it, she was a really nice momma.