I bred an enviromentalists dream....

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Rydero
Cowhand
Cowhand

I bred an enviromentalists dream....

Post by Rydero » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:54 am

Had a beef animal with no methane emissions over the weekend but it wasn't meant to be. Cow calved in the back pen on Friday where the ones who aren't "supposed" to calve yet are kept. No big deal it happens. Calf looked good, monitored it got up and sucked no problem. Left it back there with momma as the calving pen was pretty full with pairs waiting to get processed. During a break in processing calves on Saturday took a walk around looking for cows calving/new calves and the calf is laying close to the same spot as the night before. Thought I better check it out. Get close to the calf and it's on it's side and a little bloated and straining. Thought that was odd, maybe it's constipated or something. Lift the tail and it doesn't have a butt hole! :o . Called the vet and was told to put it down. :(

Silver
GURU
GURU

Re: I bred an enviromentalists dream....

Post by Silver » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:33 am

Holy! Never heard of such a thing. Sorry about your luck.

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Post by Aaron » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:16 am

Yep, happens every once in a while. See quite a few with the internet/social media nowadays. Never happened here, yet.
cor durum laborem

Rydero
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Rydero » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:17 am

Silver wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:33 am
Holy! Never heard of such a thing. Sorry about your luck.
Thank you. If you have livestock, you have deadstock. When it's like that I'm ok with losing one, nothing I could've done about it, not my fault. It went about as well as it could. I brought them up, penned the cow and took the calf away and took care of it. After we finished processing I skinned the calf and made a little coat for one of my extra calves. Put them together and neither of them were very sure about each other. After a bit I put the cow in the headgate and re-taught the calf how to suck a cow (he hadn't for a week), he got pretty excited when he figured it out! She was too worked up in the mat pen and seemed to like him so I let them go. He was trying to suck everyone! Had to pen him for the night, lol. Next morning I put them together again and after he chased her enough she let him nurse again. Put them in another pen w/ a couple yearlings so no other cows or calves to confuse things. She knew something wasn't quite right and wasn't sure about him till the dog walked by, then she decided it was her calf after all.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:30 am

wow, strange one!... If you're on facebook there's a group called "Livestock born different" dedicated to these kinds of anomalies.
Sucks to lose it anyhow but glad you got an orphan adopted.
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Post by wbvs58 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:08 pm

I had one about 10 yrs ago when I was putting my herd together. A 2nd calf cow had a very weedy calf that had no anus. I am certain it was a result of BVD, either a PI or one affected a bit later in gestation. I did have some BVD issues at that time as I had sourced cattle from several sources and had at least one other PI born that year.

Ken

Rydero
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Rydero » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:36 pm

wbvs58 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:08 pm
I had one about 10 yrs ago when I was putting my herd together. A 2nd calf cow had a very weedy calf that had no anus. I am certain it was a result of BVD, either a PI or one affected a bit later in gestation. I did have some BVD issues at that time as I had sourced cattle from several sources and had at least one other PI born that year.

Ken
Interesting. This calf was otherwise a very good calf. Cow vaccinated for BVD so doubt it's the case here. Vet had seen before and didn't indicate I should be concerned about anything.

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Post by pdfangus » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:26 am

Democrats are branching out into the livestock business.....didn't think that ocassio -cortez gal was smart enough to actually be walking the walk.....I thought she was all talk....

no methane emissions and full of bovine rumination nutritional byproducts.

Sorry I just could not resist.....
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Post by wbvs58 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:51 am

Rydero wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:36 pm
wbvs58 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:08 pm

Ken
Interesting. This calf was otherwise a very good calf. Cow vaccinated for BVD so doubt it's the case here. Vet had seen before and didn't indicate I should be concerned about anything.
Yes I would say you are all good there, it can just happen.

Ken

T-Wacker
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by T-Wacker » Fri May 03, 2019 7:18 am

I had my first yesterday in the history of this farm that I am aware of, since 1966. Appears to be not only no tail or anus, but walked like a Bison calf, all humped over and also seemed to have a slight cleft palate. Bulldog Calf maybe? Poor thing kept wondering around to try and feed but never seemed to be able to find the udder. Young cow with a great udder of course and nothing to feed this year.

T-Wacker
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by T-Wacker » Fri May 03, 2019 7:21 am

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Post by pdfangus » Fri May 03, 2019 7:44 am

Did you get a grant from Ocassio - Cortez to work on non farting cattle?
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

T-Wacker
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by T-Wacker » Fri May 03, 2019 8:07 am

pdfangus wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:44 am
Maybe I could sell it in California. Isn't there a push to charge a tax on cow farts in that state? I can make them a package deal with the dwarf bull I have, one with zero emissions and one with lower emissions.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Fri May 03, 2019 9:43 pm

T-Wacker wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:07 am
pdfangus wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:44 am
Maybe I could sell it in California. Isn't there a push to charge a tax on cow farts in that state? I can make them a package deal with the dwarf bull I have, one with zero emissions and one with lower emissions.
A dwarf too? You can name your price out there in lala land too since those out west have been screaming about 'embracing diversity'...it don't get much more diverse than what you're talking about.
(California needs fewer buttholes anyway)
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.