Love Finding These

The place to start if you are new!
User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 24560
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 241 times
Been thanked: 760 times

Re: Love Finding These

Post by Caustic Burno » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:42 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:29 pm
We saved a calf today thanks to the dogs barking at the buzzards. I thought UPS was here the way the dogs were barking so much.
Ironic you say that about the dogs my SIL was attacked and mauled by a Labrador and Heeler making deliveries requiring transportation by ambulance.


Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9454
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 185 times
Been thanked: 574 times

Re: Love Finding These

Post by True Grit Farms » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:47 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:42 pm
True Grit Farms wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:29 pm
We saved a calf today thanks to the dogs barking at the buzzards. I thought UPS was here the way the dogs were barking so much.
Ironic you say that about the dogs my SIL was attacked and mauled by a Labrador and Heeler making deliveries requiring transportation by ambulance.
That's terrible CB, I have no use for a dog that bites unless it's told to.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 24560
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 241 times
Been thanked: 760 times

Re: Love Finding These

Post by Caustic Burno » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:56 pm

This was the other day.
The package required a signature, the lab broke off a chain and the heeler came out of the house.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

jschoolcraft86
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:13 am
Location: Seguin, Texas
Has thanked: 150 times
Been thanked: 30 times

Re: Love Finding These

Post by jschoolcraft86 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:51 pm

I’m over in Seguin and I’m just glad we haven’t had any problems with the birds here.

Good lookin cattle, that salebarn special is turning out pretty nice. I snagged a good dark grey with some ear a couple weeks ago I’m pretty happy with.

User avatar
farmerjan
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2736
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:54 pm
Location: Shenandoah ValleyVirginia
Has thanked: 348 times
Been thanked: 220 times

Re: Love Finding These

Post by farmerjan » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:41 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:56 pm
This was the other day.
The package required a signature, the lab broke off a chain and the heeler came out of the house.
Sorry for your SIL. Hope he will be okay and not have any lasting bad effects. I also don't like a dog that will bite unless told to. Have had German Shepards most of my life, and one time had one attack, and I shot it. Would never trust it after that. And a chain can break. Did have one that would bite, and there were signs to that effect. I kept him in the house or in a very STURDY pen. Never had a lab be aggressive, but a heeler will nip. Got bit by a standard poodle as a child, so any dog can bite.

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 24560
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 241 times
Been thanked: 760 times

Re: Love Finding These

Post by Caustic Burno » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:24 pm

It’s was bad Jan worst mauling I have personally seen. She has been off over a week.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 15074
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 827 times
Been thanked: 632 times

Re: Love Finding These

Post by Nesikep » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:06 am

I'll trust a pit bull before I trust a german shepherd, I've been bitten by them, my ex got severely bitten, and in all cases the dogs knew who they were biting
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
farmerjan
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2736
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:54 pm
Location: Shenandoah ValleyVirginia
Has thanked: 348 times
Been thanked: 220 times

Re: Love Finding These

Post by farmerjan » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:32 am

Sorry CB thought SIL was son in law... not sister in law.... How is she doing? As for the breeds of dogs that people dislike/hate.... I have been bitten by the standard poodle, and twice by cattle dogs. One aussy and one border collie. Never by a shepherd, but yes they will bite. Had a dalmation absolutely tear a friend into pieces before we practically killed it bashing it's head, to make it let go. Dobermans scare me, but a farmer had a 1/2 that was the lovingest dog I have ever seen. There's a pit bull that comes around a dairy I test, he is such a "baby" with everyone, and just wants attention. But a lab does surprise me a bit.

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 15074
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 827 times
Been thanked: 632 times

Re: Love Finding These

Post by Nesikep » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:49 am

Image

I've never had a problem with dobermans (dobermen? doberpersons?).. Rottweilers I'm pretty cautious about
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 24560
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 241 times
Been thanked: 760 times

Re: Love Finding These

Post by Caustic Burno » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:47 pm

farmerjan wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:32 am
Sorry CB thought SIL was son in law... not sister in law.... How is she doing? As for the breeds of dogs that people dislike/hate.... I have been bitten by the standard poodle, and twice by cattle dogs. One aussy and one border collie. Never by a shepherd, but yes they will bite. Had a dalmation absolutely tear a friend into pieces before we practically killed it bashing it's head, to make it let go. Dobermans scare me, but a farmer had a 1/2 that was the lovingest dog I have ever seen. There's a pit bull that comes around a dairy I test, he is such a "baby" with everyone, and just wants attention. But a lab does surprise me a bit.
Tomorrow will be two weeks still getting wound treatment.
The Labrador that attacked her broke a chain and climbed a six foot fence.
The dogs are in quarantine due to no vaccination records.
I found out that the dog had bitten before, I had her retain an attorney.
That dog should have been Gritted long ago.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

User avatar
farmerjan
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2736
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:54 pm
Location: Shenandoah ValleyVirginia
Has thanked: 348 times
Been thanked: 220 times

Re: Love Finding These

Post by farmerjan » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:08 pm

I am so sorry for your SIL. Yes, an attorney is essential at this point. For the dog to break a chain, and climb a 6 ft fence.... well you are right. It should have been disposed of before now. And to not have vaccination records on an animal that is known to be vicious is really plain stupid. The owners probably are the kind that don't have anything either.... Dam, I'd go after all I could for the "pain and suffering" as well as the actual damages. Has she had to do shots for rabies? Irresponsible owners.....

JMER1533
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:28 am
Location: TN
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: Love Finding These

Post by JMER1533 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:28 pm

I know there can be extenuating circumstances sometimes but I cannot stand these lazy, ignorant dog owners and it sounds like this is one. The owners should be taken out of the human breeding pool, just like cows. ...well, not JUST like cows but you know.

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 24560
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 241 times
Been thanked: 760 times

Re: Love Finding These

Post by Caustic Burno » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:05 am

farmerjan wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:08 pm
I am so sorry for your SIL. Yes, an attorney is essential at this point. For the dog to break a chain, and climb a 6 ft fence.... well you are right. It should have been disposed of before now. And to not have vaccination records on an animal that is known to be vicious is really plain stupid. The owners probably are the kind that don't have anything either.... Dam, I'd go after all I could for the "pain and suffering" as well as the actual damages. Has she had to do shots for rabies? Irresponsible owners.....
I will ask today about the rabies shots.
Heard there are going to be some criminal charges as well.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

User avatar
farmerjan
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2736
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:54 pm
Location: Shenandoah ValleyVirginia
Has thanked: 348 times
Been thanked: 220 times

Re: Love Finding These

Post by farmerjan » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:12 pm

JMER1533 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:28 pm
I know there can be extenuating circumstances sometimes but I cannot stand these lazy, ignorant dog owners and it sounds like this is one. The owners should be taken out of the human breeding pool, just like cows. ...well, not JUST like cows but you know.
Yes, just like cows. Make 'em steers and cull the cows........

User avatar
farmerjan
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2736
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:54 pm
Location: Shenandoah ValleyVirginia
Has thanked: 348 times
Been thanked: 220 times

Re: Love Finding These

Post by farmerjan » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:18 pm

CB; if there are no vaccination records, I would just be concerned about the rabies. Because I don't think you can "treat it" after the fact. Maybe if she is on anti-biotics that is enough? I am not well versed in it. Here it is the "wrong time of year" for rabies to be considered a problem. But there were several cases again in our area last year and 2 in cattle again. One of the reasons I am not very tolerant of wild animals like raccoons and possums and skunks around the chickens. They never get "relocated" they take a one way permanent trip.
Didn't want to scare you or her.... just one thing I always worry about. And even if the dog was known to have bitten before, why did it break the chain AND climb the fence to get to her.... scary behaviour to me.

Post Reply