fence tips and tricks

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
T & B farms
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: fence tips and tricks

Post by T & B farms » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:08 am

I very much appreciate the responses. I just set single hedge post (12-16”) 7-7.5 foot deep. Concerete and tamped the last 12” with dirt. Mostly heavy clay after the first foot. Longest stretch is 900’. Hope this is enough. Can I not twist HT together to make a splice?

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Post by callmefence » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:26 am

T & B farms wrote:I very much appreciate the responses. I just set single hedge post (12-16”) 7-7.5 foot deep. Concerete and tamped the last 12” with dirt. Mostly heavy clay after the first foot. Longest stretch is 900’. Hope this is enough. Can I not twist HT together to make a splice?

You can. The wire will be very stiff compared to what your used to. The good old Western Union you probably use will work just spread it out over about 18". The reef knot is good. But I still highly recommend crimps or gripples. Especially gripples. You'll save lots of time and cussing.
If you want to pm your address I'll mail you a few. No strings
It ain't bragging if you can do it.
Red Bull Breeder.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

T & B farms
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by T & B farms » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:41 am

callmefence wrote:
T & B farms wrote:I very much appreciate the responses. I just set single hedge post (12-16”) 7-7.5 foot deep. Concerete and tamped the last 12” with dirt. Mostly heavy clay after the first foot. Longest stretch is 900’. Hope this is enough. Can I not twist HT together to make a splice?

You can. The wire will be very stiff compared to what your used to. The good old Western Union you probably use will work just spread it out over about 18". The reef knot is good. But I still highly recommend crimps or gripples. Especially gripples. You'll save lots of time and cussing.

Do you have to have a special tool to use them?

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Post by callmefence » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:56 am

T & B farms wrote:
callmefence wrote:

We have a special tool for using them to tension. It's not necessary to do a splice.
I use the tool very very often. I've worn out several ..lol.
The gripples.... every morning a couple of medium and a couple of Barbwire gripples go in my pocket right beside my pocket knife.
Red Bull Breeder.

David Crockett

T & B farms
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by T & B farms » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:15 am

callmefence wrote:
T & B farms wrote:
callmefence wrote:

We have a special tool for using them to tension. It's not necessary to do a splice.
The gripples.... every morning a couple of medium and a couple of Barbwire gripples go in my pocket right beside my pocket knife.

Good info, thank you much. I’m going to order me some to try if I can figure out the correct size

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Post by callmefence » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:30 am

T & B farms wrote:
callmefence wrote:
T & B farms wrote:Do you have to have a special tool to use them?

Good info, thank you much. I’m going to order me some to try if I can figure out the correct size

For 14 gauge you need the Barbwire gripple. I've got several tools and contractor kits in stock. I'll be happy to send you one to mess around with.
If you don't like it send it back. ...no worries.
Red Bull Breeder.

David Crockett

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Post by callmefence » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:35 am

callmefence wrote:
T & B farms wrote:
callmefence wrote:

For 14 gauge you need the Barbwire gripple. I've got several tools and contractor kits in stock. I'll be happy to send you one to mess around with.
If you don't like it send it back. ...no worries.

I'm going be splicing in about 20 minutes. Ill snap a pic.
Red Bull Breeder.

David Crockett

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Post by ddd75 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:52 am

i'll take the free gripples and use of the tool to try.

thanks fence :wave:

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Post by callmefence » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:03 pm

ddd75 wrote:i'll take the free gripples and use of the tool to try.

thanks fence :wave:

Send me your address. I'll give you 5 free gripples. And yes if you don't like the tool send it back. If you like it, send me a check.

You can call me for the details
254-258-9868
Red Bull Breeder.

David Crockett

T & B farms
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by T & B farms » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:04 pm

I got distracted today, I will give you a call tomorrow

libertygarden
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by libertygarden » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:57 am

Good morning gentlemen, I figured this thread has been without activity in 2019 so here is a technical question for those that know.

Gauge being the same, does HT barbed wire exert less pull pressure on brace assemblies than low carbon wire since it does not stretch much?

Good day.
My adventures in ranching and gardening.
http://www.youtube.com/c/LibertyGarden

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:29 am

Tension is tension. You pull them both TIGHT, putting the same strain on the corners for each type. One stays tight, the other continues to stretch over time, loosens and puts less strain on the corners, allows cows out, looks like crap and allows you to waste time going back and re-tightening it later, and again, later and again.......later.
There IS a difference tho, in psi rating depending which wire you use in regards to it's manufacturers' label.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

fence_it
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by fence_it » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:57 pm

The big difference is breaking strength. You can get high tensile tighter, and it will stay tight. Low carbon wire is prone to sagging if not properly pre-tensioned. It should initially be over tensioned, and then backed off, to prevent sagging in the future. I'm not an expert, but I would say HT exerts more force. I've seen way more braces pulled out of the ground with HT than low carbon.
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

libertygarden
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by libertygarden » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:45 am

Interesting. I thought that HT, not giving much, could be simply tightened and then held in place by the t-post clips. Whereas low carbon has to be over tightened to take out the give thus creating more pull on the corner assembly.

libertygarden
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by libertygarden » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:15 am

In a barbed wire fence stretch of 225 yards with double H assemblies on both ends and using 1.33 T-Posts pounded 2' deep and spaced 10' apart, is a strong post needed every 5th T-Post? If so, will a 2 7/8" pipe pounded 2' deep suffice? The H assemblies are 6" treated pine posts, 4' deep, 8' apart, with 60 pounds of concrete per post and the rest back filled with road base.

Thank you.