Banned Users

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Banned Users

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:24 pm

Apply lock now.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:31 pm

greybeard wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
greybeard wrote:Not to mention it would give you a personal platform from which to denigrate anyone that had any kind of personal religious belief as well as tearing down the belief itself, and that is the primary reason religion is off limits here.

Thoughts:

The rule banning discussions of religion preceded me. Rationally, The primary reason to ban discussion of religion is because of the controversial nature of the subject. Not everyone believes the same or in fact, not everyone believes.

There are many who need to look in the mirror. The ones that bristle when their religion is criticized, are the same ones who slander, insult, denigrate, disparage another religion such as Islam.
Hypocrisy?

It preceded you because of others like you.
Those that derived the same shallow pleasure & for the same reason you do.
Hypocrisy has nothing to do with why discussion of religion is taboo here.

If you can understand this, it might explain a lot:

Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:34 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:Apply lock now.

I will give whomever the last word. I am out before this gets worse.

It was a fun thread. Great distraction on a bad day.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:51 pm

It's not a religion.
"Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you." I refuse to harm anyone that's not out to harm me.
We just need to get back on track, I see where no harm has been done.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:58 pm

If tuxedo got to keep his handle the punishment Should be fitting.
Since someone is obviously got to do it due to recent events. I say he's the one . Tux you got less than three years to seduce Oprah.
#metoo
1 x
Always take care of your credit. When you need it. It will take care of you.

Tennessee Tuxedo

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:01 pm

callmefence wrote:If tuxedo got to keep his handle the punishment Should be fitting.
Since someone is obviously got to do it due to recent events. I say he's the one . Tux you got less than three years to seduce Oprah.
#metoo

I just threw up in my mouth a little.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:04 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
callmefence wrote:If tuxedo got to keep his handle the punishment Should be fitting.
#metoo

You can practice on your sister in law first.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:10 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
#metoo

You can practice on your sister in law first.

I'd sooner seduce the chubby one.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:01 pm

If I had to guess there's probably a couple or more around here with extra user names already created. :lol:
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:36 am

What this forum needs is a block like FB. Here, if you don't want to see what someone says, you can put them on foe..But, if someone quotes them, you see what they said. If you get put on block on FB, you do not see what they've typed, ever. You cant even find them and they cant find you. Maybe some day forums will have this also, it would quickly put a stop to someone who is disruptive. Just makes more sense.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

JWBrahman
GURU
GURU

Postby JWBrahman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:45 am

alisonb wrote:How to you all feel about a banned User coming back under another name, using a different IP address or proxy to fool the Mod? Am not sure how it works but think some get banned for a certain period and can then come back and others get banned permanently...according to the seriousness of offence. How about the User that operates under various names? Do you think that person should be banned immediately after it becoming clear who he/she is?

Some of the arguments that get people banned are a group of five or six egging each other on to be the dumbest. If someone needs CT that badly that he has multiple accounts and has been banned a few times...well, I guess we got a situation where someone might be shooting up a music concert if he wasn't fighting himself on CT. It's probably better to engage that person and let them stay around where we can watch 'em.
5 x

HSTexas
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby HSTexas » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:35 am

inyati13 wrote:
greybeard wrote:
Blue Dawg wrote:Ron has a vivid memory. He feels he has met a lot of people that are out of the ordinary, but Ron is the one that is out of the ordinary.

Ya think?

Blue Dawg: Thank you for that comment. I don’t know who you are but I appreciate your observations.

TO: GreyBerry, Police Chief of the Morality Patrol. A user makes a positive comment about another user. You blemish it with sarcasm.

GreyBerry: He who to get attention, he posts the daily headlines on the board.

There is a line in the poem, Birches, by Robert Frost:
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches.

JUST FOR YOU:

One could do worse than be a swinger of birches, they could be a hypocrite.
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches, they could be insecure.
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches, they could be disingenuous.
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches, they could be self-righteous.
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches, they could lack fortitude.

Seriously, GreyBeard. If anyone on this board is narcissistic, many of us are in their company, you right up with those of us at the top.
1 x

RayfromTX
Beginner
Beginner

Postby RayfromTX » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:33 pm

I am a moderator on a board that has 250,000 members and over 7,000,000 posts. Visitors outnumber members 10-1. The owner of the forum has a great philosophy that I'd like to share here as well as some experiences that we have learned form.

First off he thinks the most important thing is that the forum be friendly.

We don't moderate for content or truth. The members are trusted to be able to ferret that out and their collective brain always proves up to the task.

We moderate for tone. We don't tolerate insults and name calling and there are certain newbie forums called the green zones that have special rules to make sure people aren't afraid to ask what they may be afraid is a stupid question. Those forums are more tightly moderated while the more expert forums are mostly moderated only after a report is made and discussed in the back room among the mods. There is another forum on the board called the pub where pretty much anything but racism and bigotry is tolerated. Politics and religion are debated there as well as other hot button topics.

The worldwide diversity of knowledge is a valuable asset and we recognize that it is easy to lose that if we allow racism or xenophobia to flourish so we moderate closely for those things in all the forums. We also recognize that cultures in say Britain or the UAE are going to say things differently and what may offend us may be just normal banter to a Brit that hears things differently. In some of those cases a private message inviting a self edit is often the best route. We don't edit other peoples posts.

We have discussions in the back room and lots of history before anyone gets banned. Temporary bans have been tried many times but those members were never reformed and always ended up banned permanently because they were the same people when they came back. Mostly they are people that need to tear down others to have fun and feel smart. They sometimes come back multiple times under new names,(sock puppets) and they are eventually ferreted out in a game of wackamole. One in particular has returned and been banned with different member names perhaps 8 times.

Sometimes we have problem members that have lots of good information. Sometimes other members will proclaim that they shouldn't have been banned because they have so much valuable knowledge that is lost when they are no longer there. This is my opinion about that. There are many people that have knowledge and experience and are mild mannered and considerate and were raised right by their mamas and daddys. Many of those people refuse to get involved in forums because of the few members that cause rancor and discord. When a forum or board is kept cleaned up of trolls and bullies, the more mature and valuable members tend to come out to play. They invest their time in helping others because they are good people. By valuing them enough to ban the troublemakers and moderate out the insults and name calling, the discussions become more focused on interesting information and the power of the group starts to develop.

What has become apparent is that the problems usually start with posts that are in a gray area in terms of TOS violations. They are left and then others begin to try to one up the offender. By the time it becomes blatant and demands moderation, there are usually a few pages of bad posts mixed in with the good stuff and it takes a bit of work to clean it up. If we act too soon it may be less obvious that moderation was needed. It's a balancing act but erring on the side keeping it friendly has created an environment where the board has grown into the largest of it's type by far and other boards based on the same topic are smaller and more hostile.

I hope this helps and thanks for all the useful info that has been posted here. It has made getting started in the cattle business much faster, easier and less costly.
Last edited by RayfromTX on Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:46 pm

HSTexas wrote:
inyati13 wrote:
greybeard wrote:Ya think?

Blue Dawg: Thank you for that comment. I don’t know who you are but I appreciate your observations.

TO: GreyBerry, Police Chief of the Morality Patrol. A user makes a positive comment about another user. You blemish it with sarcasm.

GreyBerry: He who to get attention, he posts the daily headlines on the board.

There is a line in the poem, Birches, by Robert Frost:
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches.

JUST FOR YOU:

One could do worse than be a swinger of birches, they could be a hypocrite.
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches, they could be insecure.
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches, they could be disingenuous.
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches, they could be self-righteous.
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches, they could lack fortitude.

Seriously, GreyBeard. If anyone on this board is narcissistic, many of us are in their company, you right up with those of us at the top.

Whatever happened to Blue Dawg? He showed a lot of promise.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:55 pm

RayfromTx - thank you. That was very informative. I hope you enjoy your stay here.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Return to “Coffee Shop”