Well I hope all you other hobby

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Re: Well I hope all you other hobby

Postby wbvs58 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:31 pm

Bright Raven wrote:Whether it is hobby or the main livelihood; work is work. I only have 14 fall calves but halter breaking calves by yourself at age 67 is as rigorous as any work a professional farmer does. I was thinking this morning, the number of years I can continue this are probably no more than the number of fingers on one hand. Damm, it takes a toll on your body!

You will find a way Ron.

Ken
1 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:34 pm

Nesikep wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:Whether it is hobby or the main livelihood; work is work. I only have 14 fall calves but halter breaking calves by yourself at age 67 is as rigorous as any work a professional farmer does. I was thinking this morning, the number of years I can continue this are probably no more than the number of fingers on one hand. Damm, it takes a toll on your body!

I find halter breaking the calves is by far one of the easiest chores I have... it's all the rest of it that's hard on the body.. haying, irrigation, field work, feeding, etc.
Do you have a "control" halter? the "cow" size works well on big weaned calves up to 18 months from my experience... makes a world of difference for cooperation.

Tell me what you mean-Control halter.  What takes a beating is my hands.  The next day all my joints ache.  I actually enjoy the halter training.  I enjoy the young calves. Each one is different.  I got a good group.  Well behaved but those bigger ones can give you a good wrestling match.
1 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:48 pm

callmefence wrote:
Dave wrote:Being retired and presently not owning any cows at all I don't even qualify as a hobby rancher. But for something to do I have been helping a friend who ranches full time for a living. He runs about 400 cows on I don't know how many thousand acres (30-40 acres per pair). We have gathered, sorted, hauled, and vaccinated cows, built fence and corral. He is a full time cattleman. Being his assistant, does that make me a cowboy? The trouble is he doesn't pay me. Just buys my lunch. Dang, that means I am not a professional cowboy. Just a dang gum hobby cowboy.....
Can't wait to get my own place again so I can be promoted to hobby rancher.

Your what they call a hangaround .... :D

A hangaround!!!! That sounds worse than a hobby farmer/rancher/cowboy. I get lunch doesn't that promote me above a hangaround? Heck on Veterans Day I got paid double time for working on a National Holiday (a double burger with fries).
2 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:32 pm

Dave wrote:
callmefence wrote:
Dave wrote:Being retired and presently not owning any cows at all I don't even qualify as a hobby rancher. But for something to do I have been helping a friend who ranches full time for a living. He runs about 400 cows on I don't know how many thousand acres (30-40 acres per pair). We have gathered, sorted, hauled, and vaccinated cows, built fence and corral. He is a full time cattleman. Being his assistant, does that make me a cowboy? The trouble is he doesn't pay me. Just buys my lunch. Dang, that means I am not a professional cowboy. Just a dang gum hobby cowboy.....

A hangaround!!!! That sounds worse than a hobby farmer/rancher/cowboy. I get lunch doesn't that promote me above a hangaround? Heck on Veterans Day I got paid double time for working on a National Holiday (a double burger with fries).

Hangaround sounds better than a groupie.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:03 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Dave wrote:
callmefence wrote:

Hangaround sounds better than a groupie.

Well I darn sure ain't no groupie.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:17 am

Wish I had a few hangarounds right now,,to help me play catchup.....
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:31 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Nesikep wrote:

I find halter breaking the calves is by far one of the easiest chores I have... it's all the rest of it that's hard on the body.. haying, irrigation, field work, feeding, etc.
Do you have a "control" halter? the "cow" size works well on big weaned calves up to 18 months from my experience... makes a world of difference for cooperation.

Tell me what you mean-Control halter.  What takes a beating is my hands.  The next day all my joints ache.  I actually enjoy the halter training.  I enjoy the young calves. Each one is different.  I got a good group.  Well behaved but those bigger ones can give you a good wrestling match.

Halter with a chain under the chin rather than nylon web... when using one I rarely need to hold the rope with two hands.. I've posted links to them on Amazon before
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:21 am

I've used the control halters before. The chain gets 'their attention' a little better. Get 'em broke to it then transition to a regular rope halter. A thicker softer lead rope can help with the abuse your hands take..spreads the friction out over a wider area of your fingers and palm.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:26 am

Dave,

It sounds to me like you're the Assistant Manager.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:17 pm

Rafter S wrote:

Dave,

It sounds to me like you're the Assistant Manager.

I do like that title. I might have to ask for a pay raise. Actually going from a full time job and running 60-70 head to retirement, no cows, and living in a new place with little to nothing to do I could go crazy in a hurry. So I am happy to help this guy. It gives me something to do. And it helps him. I work cheap, just not fast. He has enough cows to make a living but not enough to pay a hired hand.
0 x

ChrisB
GURU
GURU

Postby ChrisB » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:22 pm

Well Dave you can get a pay raise OR the new title of Assistant Manager. With the new title comes a lot more respect and you will always be able to say you were the assistant manager on a large ranch. With the pay raise you get what? A couple beers on Saturday night and then it's gone? Seems like an easy decision to me.

My Dad helps me out a lot with no pay. If he has something going on one day and can't help me, I tell him since he's employee of the week he gets the day off without having his pay docked.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:11 pm

Dave wrote:
I do like that title. I might have to ask for a pay raise. Actually going from a full time job and running 60-70 head to retirement, no cows, and living in a new place with little to nothing to do I could go crazy in a hurry. So I am happy to help this guy. It gives me something to do. And it helps him. I work cheap, just not fast.[/u] He has enough cows to make a living but not enough to pay a hired h[u]and.

Not fast and not slow, does that make you just a cheap halfast rancher?
(im 1/4 assed myself)
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

NEFarmwife
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby NEFarmwife » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:07 pm

callmefence wrote:

Or a wife. :cowboy:
2 x

MRRherefords
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MRRherefords » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:29 pm

Halter breaking calves is one of my favorite jobs. Always pays for them to have a good disposition for the future.
1 x

Old Hat
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Old Hat » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:38 am

Hobby my big toe...nobody works this hard on no hobby!
0 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”