Record Keeping

The place to start if you are new!
customcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Record Keeping

Postby customcattle » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:11 pm

I'm wondering what people are using for record keeping systems, both in the field and at home? Do you use the trusty tried and true red calving books (mine's yellow). Do you use an app on your phone? If so what app are you using? If an app were available would you use it? Last question. What information do you feel is the most important in calving records, breeding cow records, and bull records?

I am an ag teacher/ FFA Advisor, and my Ag Entrepreneurship class is working on a project and thought that this would be a good place to answer some of their questions.

thanks in advance
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: Record Keeping

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:17 pm

customcattle wrote:I'm wondering what people are using for record keeping systems, both in the field and at home? Do you use the trusty tried and true red calving books (mine's yellow). Do you use an app on your phone? If so what app are you using? If an app were available would you use it? Last question. What information do you feel is the most important in calving records, breeding cow records, and bull records?

I am an ag teacher/ FFA Advisor, and my Ag Entrepreneurship class is working on a project and thought that this would be a good place to answer some of their questions.

thanks in advance

Sorry nothing exotic just a ledger book and sharp pencil
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:30 pm

I make notes on my phone when I'm in the field, then transfer the info to Word documents when I get home. All purchases goes into a Quicken ledger type of account.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:35 pm

I use cattlemax, have for 15 years or so. Field notes jotted on what's handy, when we work them I print out work sheets so I know what all needs done to each animal
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:46 pm

I have all my records in Excel and saved on the Cloud. That way I can access it from my phone or desktop. And I have backups because I don't completely trust the cloud.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

ccr
Beginner
Beginner

Postby ccr » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:49 pm

I keep a small notepad with me and jot info down in the field, then enter into a spreadsheet. Not the best like having a dedicated software program, but works for us. Don't have a smart phone for apps.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:01 pm

I keep a small calendar and make notes on it then transfer to sheets of notebook paper that are specific to each field or group of cows. I do not have smart phone and so many places we have very spotty reception anyway. It is a bit of writing, but I get very familiar with the cows and their calves etc and where they are. All preg checks etc are on a separate sheet, dated and pertinent info like what bull, when he went in, came out, how far preg the vet says they are. All the different info gets entered on to individual cow pages, along the lines of what dairy farmers do, but I can pull any cow's page and tell you any/every thing that has ever happened in her life. Yes, it is a fair amount of paperwork, and some seems repetitious, but as I said, I can remember it better when I actually write it down. It also can't crash, get erased, lost in the cloud, or anything like that. Not the most modern way to do it, but I am not the biggest fan of hi-tech computer stuff; nor am I very adept at using alot of it either.
0 x

WinterSpringsFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby WinterSpringsFarm » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:19 am

I do much like Jan does. I have a notebook I keep in the office that has a page for every cow. I write down everything done to that cow over her lifetime and date it was done (minus routine shots like Multimin or such)

It's a lot of writing but its not like I run 400hd, and it keeps me familiar with the cows and their productivity.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:16 am

ccr wrote:I keep a small notepad with me and jot info down in the field, then enter into a spreadsheet. Not the best like having a dedicated software program, but works for us. Don't have a smart phone for apps.

Same. Write it down, enter info on Excel. I do have a smart phone but don't use the apps.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:32 am

Any thing I think needs to be recorded I text to my wife.
2 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

bird dog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bird dog » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:38 am

I weigh every calf at weaning and divide the total number of days old into that figure to give a gain per day figure. For instance wean weight 660 lb + 210 days old give a figure of 3.14 lbs per day. All this goes on the cows sheet which is an individual page for each cow.
This figure takes out a lot of the argument of weather large birth weight calves are better or is rate of gain more important and gives you one figure to match up against other cows regardless of the calfs age.
Even though the number will change year to year based on conditions, the superior cows clearly stand out.
Some cows are very consistent regardless of conditions.
This figure also helps culling decisions and gives you another figure to look at when retaining heifers.

All my figures are wrote down in a spiral notebook when working calves and transferred to the cows permanent page later on. A computer program would be nice but sometimes its nice to just have it right in front of you for quick access. I also keep track of all shot records, buy and sale proceeds and the cows weight.
0 x

customcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby customcattle » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:18 am

If there was an app out there that you could record on your phone or tablet in the field with, then sync it to a computer at home and be able to print records off would any of you who are using paper be open to using it?
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:10 am

customcattle wrote:If there was an app out there that you could record on your phone or tablet in the field with, then sync it to a computer at home and be able to print records off would any of you who are using paper be open to using it?

Depending on cost I would.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:10 pm

have used excel spreadsheets for years....
i make notes in a field notebook but then enter it into the excel sheet.
have looked at commercial programs but none seem to give me what I want and seem to give me a lot of stuff I don't want.
1 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

customcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby customcattle » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:15 pm

pdfangus wrote:have used excel spreadsheets for years....
i make notes in a field notebook but then enter it into the excel sheet.
have looked at commercial programs but none seem to give me what I want and seem to give me a lot of stuff I don't want.

So what stuff would you want?
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”