Selling a stag

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Selling a stag

Postby TCRanch » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:46 am

Ethical question: Discovered a steer is actually a stag during weaning. It's not visible but you can definitely feel the nut. Elected not to perform surgery to castrate because of the concern of too much stress coupled with weaning.

I always provide all health information to the Sale Barn prior to taking any of my cattle in but a lot of locals have told me to just take him in, don't point it out, buyers will automatically either know or suspect because he looks a little bullish. Maybe it's just me but that doesn't seem right.

For those of you that buy from Sale Barns, would you know &/or think it should be disclosed? Or do you agree with caveat emptor?
0 x

SchenkAngusFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Selling a stag

Postby SchenkAngusFarm » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:02 pm

I would disclose it but that's just me. You would think caveat emptor would come in but I've seen some buyers play some trick things lately at sales that I would rather be safe than sorry with.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:13 pm

TCRanch wrote:Ethical question: Discovered a steer is actually a stag during weaning. It's not visible but you can definitely feel the nut. Elected not to perform surgery to castrate because of the concern of too much stress coupled with weaning.

I always provide all health information to the Sale Barn prior to taking any of my cattle in but a lot of locals have told me to just take him in, don't point it out, buyers will automatically either know or suspect because he looks a little bullish. Maybe it's just me but that doesn't seem right.

For those of you that buy from Sale Barns, would you know &/or think it should be disclosed? Or do you agree with caveat emptor?

As for what you want to do its completely up to the person. The barn is definitely CAVEAT EMPTOR
1 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:11 pm

I believe that anyone who buys an animal at the auction barn and gets upset when it turns out to not be perfect shouldn't be allowed out of the house alone with a checkbook, but that's just me (unless the seller or barn directly lied about it). Now that I've said that, you have to decide what you feel okay about. For example, it doesn't bother me a bit to have a cow palpated at the barn if she's a slow breeder, or her bag isn't as nice as I'd like, but if she's prolapsed and sewed up I'll tell them she has to go to slaughter. And I'm so honest that when I've accidentally gotten two newspapers out of the machine and not noticed it until later I've put in extra money the next day.

In your case I'd send it and not worry about it.
5 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:46 pm

Rafter S wrote:I believe that anyone who buys an animal at the auction barn and gets upset when it turns out to not be perfect shouldn't be allowed out of the house alone with a checkbook, but that's just me (unless the seller or barn directly lied about it). Now that I've said that, you have to decide what you feel okay about. For example, it doesn't bother me a bit to have a cow palpated at the barn if she's a slow breeder, or her bag isn't as nice as I'd like, but if she's prolapsed and sewed up I'll tell them she has to go to slaughter. And I'm so honest that when I've accidentally gotten two newspapers out of the machine and not noticed it until later I've put in extra money the next day.

In your case I'd send it and not worry about it.

Yup! And I always tell them if it's a slaughter cow; even if she looks great, there's a reason I'm selling her. Thanks for the input.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:31 pm

It's buyers beware at a sale barn, IMO. Those same buyers will screw you over for any reason possible. He'll bring what he's worth, and not a dime more.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:57 am

They do expect a certain amount of stags. That is the reason they will pay a little more for knife cut calves over banded. Not a lot more but they are pretty certain that it is not an issue with knife cut.
0 x

BrandX
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BrandX » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:44 am

I would like to remind you that not everyone at the sale barn is an old hand. sale barns do attract the new beginners also. I think that if they get a raw deal a few times or feel deceived than they may quit or worse share their stories of misfortune and mistreatment with others.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:20 pm

Mistreatment, BrandX? Or perhaps they will use it as a learning experience?

I'm going with disclosure and what they do with that information is up to them.
1 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:23 pm

Dave wrote:They do expect a certain amount of stags. That is the reason they will pay a little more for knife cut calves over banded. Not a lot more but they are pretty certain that it is not an issue with knife cut.

Dave don't you remember that there is not a buyer in the US that can tell a banded calf from a knife cut one. We have been told that from the expert.
3 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:50 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
Dave wrote:They do expect a certain amount of stags. That is the reason they will pay a little more for knife cut calves over banded. Not a lot more but they are pretty certain that it is not an issue with knife cut.

Dave don't you remember that there is not a buyer in the US that can tell a banded calf from a knife cut one. We have been told that from the expert.

Opps, I forgot.
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:59 am

TCRanch wrote:Mistreatment, BrandX? Or perhaps they will use it as a learning experience?

I'm going with disclosure and what they do with that information is up to them.

I think it is what ever you are comfortable with TC. The monetary difference in the long run will probably be very little difference when averaged out and your reputation stays intact.

Ken
2 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:16 pm

Ouch! I did get what he was worth and not a dime more. Weaned just over a month, 2 rounds of shots, 715 lbs at 7 months for 1.31 per. Sale Barn posted results for 700 - 800 lb steers was 1.40 - 1.62. "Steers" being the operative word. :roll:
0 x

Chocolate Cow
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Chocolate Cow » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:38 pm

TC-you did the right thing. You can walk back into that barn without any fear of someone coming at you-pointing their finger and screaming 'you know what you did to me?' You took a little less for him but were totally honest. That will pay big in the future. I still remember the calves I've bought (and who the sellers were) that had a nut up and no one was honest enough to care. You have my respect for stating his problem. And, it was way better to claim it up front than to be confronted with it during the sale.
2 x

mwj
GURU
GURU

Postby mwj » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:47 pm

If you consider what the vet bill is to get that other ''nut'' out, they still paid a fair price. I think you did the proper thing and should not second guess your decision!
2 x
never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!!!!!!!

Return to “Cattle Sales”