3mo old calf with pneumonia

Let us know who you are.
Mattie4life
Beginner
Beginner

3mo old calf with pneumonia

Postby Mattie4life » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:28 pm

My calf has been sick with pneumonia, lethargic, distressed breathing, runny nose. She has been vaccinated via a vet and instructed us not to give her anything but hay. Is there anything (home remedy) we might be able to try to nurse her back to health?

B.
0 x

MRRherefords
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: 3mo old calf with pneumonia

Postby MRRherefords » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:31 pm

A little TLC and listen to your vet.
0 x

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:28 pm

One dose of Resflor will set it straight. If not, you'll either have a dead calf, or worse, a chronic.
1 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:39 pm

Draxxin
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:23 pm

Used Nuflor or the newer Resflor for years, with pretty good success, but now Draxxin is my go too. Also, something that I try to do for sick calves is to give them electrolytes if they are weak.
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:51 am

Yes with home remedies you will be burying it. I think you need some of the top shelf stuff that has been mentioned. That is if your diagnosis is correct.

Ken
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:26 am

If it is pneumonia the only home cure is a bullet
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:20 am

What did your vet give her? And how high is her temp? I agree with Resflor Gold (has Banamine in it) or a combo of Draxxin & Banamine and definitely electrolytes.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:31 pm

Not sure of what benefit a vaccine would be while the calf is actually that sick. What vaccine? I don't know of any home remedy that will do more than maybe help relieve the dehydration; ie. any electrolyte formula to give it more fluids and some energy. If it has labored breathing, snotty nose and all that you described, then anti-biotics are the only way to go to try to save it. Hay will do nothing except keep it's gut tract filled but if it is having trouble breathing, eating hay will only wear it out from expended energy with little or no putting back the protein and such to give it some energy. When not eating well, concentrates will help to keep up their strength. You could try some of the molasses based drenches that can be mixed in their water bucket if it will drink it.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:13 am

farmerjan wrote:Not sure of what benefit a vaccine would be while the calf is actually that sick. What vaccine? I don't know of any home remedy that will do more than maybe help relieve the dehydration; ie. any electrolyte formula to give it more fluids and some energy. If it has labored breathing, snotty nose and all that you described, then anti-biotics are the only way to go to try to save it. Hay will do nothing except keep it's gut tract filled but if it is having trouble breathing, eating hay will only wear it out from expended energy with little or no putting back the protein and such to give it some energy. When not eating well, concentrates will help to keep up their strength. You could try some of the molasses based drenches that can be mixed in their water bucket if it will drink it.

First time poster... so everything has to be taken with a grain of salt.
She didn't say calf was vaccinated while sick or even when it was vaccinated.
No Vet worth their salt would vaccinate a sick animal instead of treating nor would they advise a hay only diet for a
90 day old baby calf. A lot of missing info. Based on symptoms 1st step, treat with a prescription medicine, NuFlor ect.

p.s.
Grandma has pneumonia.... any home remedies to try instead of taking her to a doctor? :)
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:02 am

[quote="Son of Butch"

p.s.
Grandma has pneumonia.... any home remedies to try instead of taking her to a doctor? :)[/quote]
My 87 year old mother in law swears by coating your chest & back with Vics then sealing it with wax paper.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:46 am

A cold.... yes..... pneumonia (a life threatening disease) no.
0 x

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”