The right to protest?

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: The right to protest?

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:19 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:I was wondering where the heck was the cops? And did the vehicle intentionally run folks over or were they just trying to get the heck out of town? Was the driver was a protester or anti - protester?
Everyone has the right to protest and the right to protection while doing so.

By the accounts given by witnesses, and the video that was taken, as well as the location of the incident, it appears to be intentional. (I viewed video, and read several eye-witness accounts, and am familiar w/the area) :( The car came down a pedestrian "mall", at a relatively high rate of speed (for that area). It plowed into the people, then slammed it into reverse and backed up, out of the area rapidly. This occurred on "the Downtown Mall", which is a pedestrian mall. The folks that were struck, were bystanders and protesters, protesting the White Supremacy people.

I don't care who the people were, or what they were observing or protesting, they did not deserve to die. :( None of those folks deserved to be mowed down by that car.

I agree a 100%. So now I really want to know where the cops were?
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:24 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:I was wondering where the heck was the cops? And did the vehicle intentionally run folks over or were they just trying to get the heck out of town? Was the driver was a protester or anti - protester?

Here is a picture showing one officer. I think if you look in the background you can see where a lot of the problem lies. Nazi extremists. Take note of the sign. These troublemakers weren't demonstrating for any monuments they were just spewing hate.

No doubt about that Jogeephus. But I didn't see any looting or burning of cars and the rest of the crap that went on in Ferguson, Baltimore, or LA.
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:24 pm

Jogeephus wrote:

Here is a picture showing one officer. I think if you look in the background you can see where a lot of the problem lies. Nazi extremists. Take note of the sign. These troublemakers weren't demonstrating for any monuments they were just spewing hate.

Jogee---- You are correct! Many of the protesters were from out of town/out of state. Just looking for a place to cause trouble and wreak havoc. As for police, there were campus, city and state police, as well as Sheriffs/deputies all over Charlottesville.

:frowns: :(
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:30 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:No doubt about that Jogeephus. But I didn't see any looting or burning of cars and the rest of the crap that went on in Ferguson, Baltimore, or LA.

I hope you are not suggesting the bar we set for our civility should be based on how those animals acted in Fergusen or Baltimore.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:33 pm

Jogeephus wrote:

Extremism is epidemic. We have lost the strength of the middle. The force has moved to the polar extremes!
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:38 pm

Terrible situation. In regard to the statement that we will lose some freedom over that, I believe that with freedom comes responsibility. No matter the perceived injustice, reacting with hate and violence solves nothing.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:42 pm

Ky hills wrote:Terrible situation. In regard to the statement that we will lose some freedom over that, I believe that with freedom comes responsibility. No matter the perceived injustice, reacting with hate and violence solves nothing.

I feelings exactly. This extremism is turning into the Hatfields and McCoys. These Nazis need to put down the confederate flag and stop soiling it with their filth.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:43 pm

Well the cops sure didn't protect and serve. I can't believe that the driver wasn't shot - killed when they were backing up. The cops and everyone there was very lucky that the driver didn't really want to cause mass casualties.
I'm not sure what I'm suggesting, I can't believe that this stuff is still happening. We have the freedom of speech and the right to protest - assemble. We have no right to harm, kill, loot and burn places to the ground.
0 x

SmokinM
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SmokinM » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:44 pm

TB ,I re-read your second post again. Can't tell if you are picking a fight or not so I may have fussed at you for nothing and if so I apologize. I agree this isn't about monuments, especially for me. I have young kids and I see this constant spiral out of control and people as a whole are to worried about making right how they feel they were wronged by history than learning so as not to repeat it. Worried what the future holds for us all. If equality is the goal we aren't going to get it this way. Also people need to realize just because it isn't easy doesn't mean you aren't getting a fair shake. Life is hard and making your situation better is even harder, if you want to go up you gotta climb.

Everybody in that war was fighting for what they believed was right. That alone is something to learn from.
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:53 pm

The young officer, in the photo that Jogee posted, I can only imagine the thoughts going through his mind. He shows professionalism. I can't imagine being in his shoes, remaining neutral and protecting the very people who wish me harm.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:31 pm

We went last year to the alabama capitol building. We were lucky enough to have personal tour guide who was with MLK Jr on the walk from Selma to Montgomery. If you don't know the story Google it. Those people were treated bad to say the least. I will never forget what he said though. The thing that made that march effective and is diffrent from what we have been seeing recently is that no matter what was done to them they never fought back and remained peaceful. That is what caught the attention of the nation and brought the change they wanted. Peaceful protest.
0 x

larryshoat
GURU
GURU

Postby larryshoat » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:09 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
SmokinM wrote:Black lives matter protest gets violent and are destructive and we have to do more, police told to stand down. Whites show up to protest their heritage and they are disgusting and need to go home. Boy am I glad this clown only runs our state for another year. Not a good thing that happened and thoughts and prayers to all the families of those injured. However I think it is pretty obvious we are protesting to late and our rights dont matter. I am not about supremacy but had enough of the inequality b.s. Don't think the inequality runs the direction they try to sell you.

War is coming and it isn't going to be north and south this time.
History repeating itself with the rhetoric

I think you may be very right about that.

Larry
0 x
There are two ways to do anything........ the right way and all the others.

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:27 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:The young officer, in the photo that Jogee posted, I can only imagine the thoughts going through his mind. He shows professionalism. I can't imagine being in his shoes, remaining neutral and protecting the very people who wish me harm.

That struck me as well.
0 x

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:59 pm

boondocks wrote:
Workinonit Farm wrote:The young officer, in the photo that Jogee posted, I can only imagine the thoughts going through his mind. He shows professionalism. I can't imagine being in his shoes, remaining neutral and protecting the very people who wish me harm.

That struck me as well.

I'm not in any trying to take away from what y'all are saying. You actually made me think of this.
Think of the flip side of that. The right to peacefully protest is what laid the way for him to be in the job he's in.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:23 am

jedstivers wrote:
boondocks wrote:

That struck me as well.

I'm not in any trying to take away from what y'all are saying. You actually made me think of this.
Think of the flip side of that. The right to peacefully protest is what laid the way for him to be in the job he's in.

That is true and had those protests not been successful he would not have been standing there but they were successful and institutional discrimination ended. However, in our attempt to make up for - for lack of a better term - our past sins we are replacing this form of discrimination with yet another form of discrimination that many know as reverse discrimination. Any form of discrimination is wrong.

Just like SmokinM pointed out about our unity during the war, we are a nation of people and we are stronger as a people. Trump's recent Tweet regarding this tragedy says just that and echoes what SmokinM says. We need to unite as a nation and find common ground rather than focus on our differences. Our differences is what makes america great. The division and compartmentalization of people into groups by Obama was terrible for the country. If you stop and think about it, compartmentalization into "identities" or socio-economic groups magnifies the number of people who feel marginalized by society and breeds hate and contempt. You'll never destroy America as a unified people but its people can definitely destroy America.
0 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”