grass heading out

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Bright Raven
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: grass heading out

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:53 am

Bigfoot wrote:
wbvs58 wrote:I think grasses and especially clovers respond more to the weather that is ahead of us than what the weather is like currently, ie if my clover doesn't start to get going in autumn then I am sure that the next spring will be pretty ordinary, it just doesn't bother to germinate.

I think plants have a lot more intelligence than what we give them credit for.

Ken

I agree. I can't remember ever seeing a wild oat on my place. My hay fields are wrapped up in them. Im sure my pastures are to, the cows are just eating it as fast as it grows. I just don't know what it's sudden appearance means.

We've had wet weather, and we've had warm weather, but we hadn't hardly had a ray of sunshine all year. Usually, when your out early of a morning, and there's a heavy dew, the rabbit tobacco will almost be foamy with bubbles. I'm assuming with gasses put off from photosynthesis, or the crebs cycle (wish I'd paid attention in school now). Anyway, I've noticed all spring, it's just covered in dew, and no bubbles. I guess stuff ain't growing cause it's not sunny enough.

The sunshine has indeed been scarce in the last 6 months. Grass here is green, been warmer than normal, adequate moisture, etc. Yes, sunshine is what powers photosynthesis.
Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:06 am

My fescue seed heads are hardening
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

FiveOaksFarmGA
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby FiveOaksFarmGA » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:18 am

TANK30705 wrote:My fescue has started heading out also, within last week. We are still in drought, but got 1.75 of rain in last few days!
May cut hay Sunday/Monday. That would be first ever hay, cut on my farm in April!

Same here, though haven't had that good of rainfall. I gotta wait til the typical Mother's Day cut to avoid nitrate problems since I fertilized on that schedule. I've got some rye to cut now as soon as I get a window long enough.
Black Angus and Angus crosses
Custom Hay

Texasmark
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Texasmark » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:17 am

Same story here. Spring came early with soil temps over 55F. Grass shot up, sorghum-sudan was planted April 1, and is up about 6" now. April is forecast to be 2" over normal rainfall. Temps have been on a roller coaster ride but basically we are moving forward and rains are coming regularly. Mowing lawn every 2-3 days. Rye is going crazy.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:44 pm

I've got some sudex, that's been up about 2 weeks. I notice it's turning yellow. The sun is shining today, this is about the first day of sunshine, since last fall. Maybe things will turn around.
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”