Today's workshop

The place to start if you are new!
Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Re: Today's workshop

Postby Workinonit Farm » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:07 pm

Lucky_P wrote: - NY journalists, LA chefs, animal rightist vegans all spouting BS about public lands grazing, desertification, CAFOs, water use, decimation of predators, 'climate change'...

The really sad, bad and unfortunate thing is, all the people that read/listen to the folks you have listed, actually believe all of it. :mad:

Even worse, more people than I realized, in my own part of the great state of Va. (lots of Ag here) subscribe to that way of thinking.

If I had a dime for every time I heard that crap, or did my best to "educate", I could sell it all and retire.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Karin
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Karin » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:46 pm

Lucky_P wrote:Holy crap, Karin. The comments following that MJ article you linked almost made my head explode - NY journalists, LA chefs, animal rightist vegans all spouting BS about public lands grazing, desertification, CAFOs, water use, decimation of predators, 'climate change'... from their major metropolitan penthouses, as if they actually had a clue... (tic)How dare you challenge them!

:) I know, right? Too bad MJ deleted all my comments on that one article, otherwise you would have to sit through with :pop: just to enjoy the fur flying.
0 x
If you want something bad enough, you'll work your rear off to get it. Still in progress on that though...

Formerly known as "IluvABbeef"

--> Range nerd, and agvocate.

Karin
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Karin » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:57 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:
Lucky_P wrote: - NY journalists, LA chefs, animal rightist vegans all spouting BS about public lands grazing, desertification, CAFOs, water use, decimation of predators, 'climate change'...

The really sad, bad and unfortunate thing is, all the people that read/listen to the folks you have listed, actually believe all of it. :mad:

If I had a dime for every time I heard that crap, or did my best to "educate", I could sell it all and retire.

I see too much of it myself, but I can't help but get involved in these discussions because these knee-jerk believers need to see just how flawed a lot of the stuff actually is. What's worse is they rely on propaganda pieces and "sources" like Earthlings and Cowspiracy (let's not forget the erroneous book on GHG emissions Livestock's Long Shadow), not to mention other "scientists" that aren't even scientists in the field of "interest" (I could name several!) that consider themselves "experts" on livestock production but don't know squat when their ideologies are challenged.

What's maddening is how people are less and less inclined to be critical thinkers and more and more like knee-jerking button-pushers, wanting the one-second one-liner than the essay that's been well-researched and based not only on a bunch of scientific papers that may or may not be legit, but personal experience too. Like with several individuals I've encountered, when their little bumper-sticker ideologies get challenged and shot all to the Underworld, they get real mad. Especially if they're the ones that have been touting the same ignorant rhetoric for quite some time.

And these individuals call me the ignorant one who needs to be "educated"!
0 x
If you want something bad enough, you'll work your rear off to get it. Still in progress on that though...

Karin
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Karin » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:07 pm

highgrit wrote: I don't care for grass finished beef myself but to each their own. Canadian beef is better than Mexican beef but not anywhere as good as corn feed American beef.

I dunno highgrit, don't think I had any American beef before, but the best tasting beef I've ever had was not grass-fed, but finished with barley for a few weeks while on ad libitum hay and some grass before being sent to the local butcher. I think I'll have to try some US corn-fed before I can officially say which is best, but that one steer we had, I've never tasted better beef since then.
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:10 am

Karin wrote:And these individuals call me the ignorant one who needs to be "educated"!

:nod: :nod:

I know. Its so frustrating and aggrevating. I am often though of as "just a dumb farmer". Fortunately there are a few (too few really) who have an open mind, ask good questions and actually are willing to learn.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

long123
Beginner
Beginner

Postby long123 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:31 am

This world is not my home i'm just passing through.
0 x

long123
Beginner
Beginner

Postby long123 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:33 am

Just hold on a little while is prices start declineng you will see some panic selling and can get some good ones at a reduced price.
0 x

NEKid
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby NEKid » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:40 pm

long123 wrote:This world is not my home i'm just passing through.

AMEN!! :cboy:
0 x
Never spend more than you make and always ask questions.

tuongtrante1
Beginner
Beginner

Postby tuongtrante1 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:51 pm

Like everybody, I know they will go down, and I'm not looking forward to it. Has anybody figured the break even point on a 550 pound weaned calf. It's up there these days. Luckily fuel, and grain are cheap at the moment. My other inputs are not though.
0 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:55 am

tuongtrante1 wrote:Like everybody, I know they will go down, and I'm not looking forward to it. Has anybody figured the break even point on a 550 pound weaned calf. It's up there these days. Luckily fuel, and grain are cheap at the moment. My other inputs are not though.

Thats going to completely depend on how you run your operation. I have tightened things up quite a bit this year compared to the past 2. All my hay is up, grain's in the wagons, bills are all paid, and if nothing changes (barring unforeseen problems) $442 will be my break even for each calf weaned. Some folks will be under that, and some will be over. Everything over 442 will be gravy for me. I dont fudge the numbers. I try to be precise as i can with expenses. Can't run welfare beef. Had a good run on hay and caught a super deal early. Geography matters also. Folks farther south can do it for cheaper usually..only help we get up here is corn stalks and bean stubble til the snow gets too deep, but every month i dont feed an abundance of hay is money saved.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:37 am

Mine is going to come in low due to all the rain and not being able to fertilize or lime. That will have a later cost.
I will run the numbers for the first half in a few days. Rough estimate close to a dollar a day .
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:53 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:Mine is going to come in low due to all the rain and not being able to fertilize or lime. That will have a later cost.
I will run the numbers for the first half in a few days. Rough estimate close to a dollar a day .

With the fall projections, that shouldn't be too rough. Getting down under 1.30 a day is a best for me. Was worried my heifer buyer wasn't going to be in for it this fall, but he has assured he still wants all the heifers.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

Return to “Beginners Board”