Branding Cattle

The place to start if you are new!
Stepbystep
Cowhand
Cowhand

Branding Cattle

Postby Stepbystep » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:43 pm

It is my understanding that branding is done with hot iron or liquid Nitrogen or ear tags. Any thoughts?
0 x

HEREFORD ROADHOG
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Branding Cattle

Postby HEREFORD ROADHOG » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:03 pm

Yes ,hot iron or liquid nitrogen, (freeze branding). Ear tags are just that =ear tags. I have only used liquid nitrogen, I think it would be less stressful to the cattle.
0 x
Your dollars will go farther when they are accompanied with some sense.

JSCATTLE
GURU
GURU

Postby JSCATTLE » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:19 am

I use an electric iron takes about 8 seconds . I'd like to try freeze branding just seems like to much trouble to keep the liquid nitrogen if you Only need it once or twice a year
0 x
What Obama should have said: you see this food stamp ? You didn't work for that someone else did !!!

Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU

Postby Red Bull Breeder » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:51 am

Only buy the liquid nitrogen once a year when you need it. Been some talk on branding on here before, Freeze branding is not excepted as a legal brand in some states.
0 x

bse
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bse » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:54 am

I just started freeze branding this year got tired of loosing tags. I use methanol and dry ice i have access to liquid nitrogen but the folks around here i talked to about it say methanol seems to work better. The ones i did in Oct are looking good but time will tell.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:15 am

Im curious if freeze branding leaves a telltale scarring on the hide so that it can be seen when the hide is off.
0 x
“The only difference between a rut and a grave are the dimensions.” ― Ellen Glasgow

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:03 pm

dun wrote:Im curious if freeze branding leaves a telltale scarring on the hide so that it can be seen when the hide is off.

I am not sure Dun but I am sure it's a pain in the butt and takes 3 times longer and seems to work only once in a while.

I did several older cows and all my calves this year and some took great and others barely show up. Definately the calves took the brand better.
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

JSCATTLE
GURU
GURU

Postby JSCATTLE » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:15 pm

I'd like to have my horses freeze branded . When it works doesn't it just turn the hair white? I don't think you can see it with the hide turned inside out like a fire brand .
0 x
What Obama should have said: you see this food stamp ? You didn't work for that someone else did !!!

hrstrader
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby hrstrader » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:51 pm

I freeze brand lots of horses and cows. I use dry ice and acetone. Pure 99% alcohol works well too but is hard to find. Acetone can be gotten anywhere. The key to a good brand is clipping the hair, spaying some acetone on just before you brand and hold it for 25 seconds. I've had a 100% success rate on a lot of animals. I have only had two horses ever need anything other than a twitch. The hair does just come back white, but is easily visible.
0 x
A few cows and a few horses. Work to enjoy them.

John SD
GURU
GURU

Postby John SD » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:21 pm

Red Bull Breeder wrote:Only buy the liquid nitrogen once a year when you need it. Been some talk on branding on here before, Freeze branding is not excepted as a legal brand in some states.

As far as I know freeze branding is NOT acceptable in SD as legal proof of ownership. Only registered hot iron brands specific for species and location.
0 x
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness
copyright July 4, 1776

Smile and do something nice for a liberal today. It will drive them nuts!

Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU

Postby Red Bull Breeder » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:21 pm

Thats what i was talking about John, think its that away in more states than SD.
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:43 pm

We freeze brand also. We use liquid nitrogen. We've used dry ice and alcohol too. It is easier to brand a horse than cow because horses have a finer skin.
You can leave the brand on long enough to scar the skin. We have a grey mare that has a scarred brand.

This is a sequence of branding our oldest daughter's horse. It was done with 2 irons - the rocker and the penguin.

Immediately after branding. It is indented and the area will feel cold/frozen.

After it thaws, the branded area will swell. (I don't have a picture of that). After the sweling disappears, it may scab and it will peel in about 2 weeks.
Two weeks after branding.

and several months after the white hair has grown in.

As far as branding cattle, I believe that hot brands are the best. It only takes a few seconds. The heat kills the nerve endings so the pain is quick. With a freeze brand, you have to hold it on for a longer time and the chances of the animal moving are greater.
A freeze brand does hurt. It is a freezing burn. I know from first hand experience.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

hrstrader
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby hrstrader » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:39 pm

The swelling. Not sure how to post. https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/K ... directlink
0 x
A few cows and a few horses. Work to enjoy them.

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:50 am

here you go hrstrader

0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:26 am

Red Bull Breeder wrote:Thats what i was talking about John, think its that away in more states than SD.

Either is accepted down here:
Specified as "fire or electric heat brand, freeze brand, acid brand, or hoof brand; earmark, tattoo or electronic device.
0 x
You look like I need a drink.

Return to “Beginners Board”