Branding Cattle

The place to start if you are new!

Branding Cattle

Postby Stepbystep » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:43 pm

It is my understanding that branding is done with hot iron or liquid Nitrogen or ear tags. Any thoughts?
Stepbystep
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Branding Cattle

Postby HEREFORD ROADHOG » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:03 pm

Yes ,hot iron or liquid nitrogen, (freeze branding). Ear tags are just that =ear tags. I have only used liquid nitrogen, I think it would be less stressful to the cattle.
Your dollars will go farther when they are accompanied with some sense.
HEREFORD ROADHOG
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby JSCATTLE » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:19 am

I use an electric iron takes about 8 seconds . I'd like to try freeze branding just seems like to much trouble to keep the liquid nitrogen if you Only need it once or twice a year
What Obama should have said: you see this food stamp ? You didn't work for that someone else did !!!
JSCATTLE
GURU
GURU

Postby Red Bull Breeder » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:51 am

Only buy the liquid nitrogen once a year when you need it. Been some talk on branding on here before, Freeze branding is not excepted as a legal brand in some states.
Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU

Postby bse » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:54 am

I just started freeze branding this year got tired of loosing tags. I use methanol and dry ice i have access to liquid nitrogen but the folks around here i talked to about it say methanol seems to work better. The ones i did in Oct are looking good but time will tell.
bse
Rancher
Rancher

Postby dun » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:15 am

Im curious if freeze branding leaves a telltale scarring on the hide so that it can be seen when the hide is off.
A poor workman always blames his tools
dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:03 pm

dun wrote:Im curious if freeze branding leaves a telltale scarring on the hide so that it can be seen when the hide is off.

I am not sure Dun but I am sure it's a pain in the butt and takes 3 times longer and seems to work only once in a while.

I did several older cows and all my calves this year and some took great and others barely show up. Definately the calves took the brand better.
There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those who can do math and those who can't
3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby JSCATTLE » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:15 pm

I'd like to have my horses freeze branded . When it works doesn't it just turn the hair white? I don't think you can see it with the hide turned inside out like a fire brand .
What Obama should have said: you see this food stamp ? You didn't work for that someone else did !!!
JSCATTLE
GURU
GURU

Postby hrstrader » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:51 pm

I freeze brand lots of horses and cows. I use dry ice and acetone. Pure 99% alcohol works well too but is hard to find. Acetone can be gotten anywhere. The key to a good brand is clipping the hair, spaying some acetone on just before you brand and hold it for 25 seconds. I've had a 100% success rate on a lot of animals. I have only had two horses ever need anything other than a twitch. The hair does just come back white, but is easily visible.
A few cows and a few horses. Work to enjoy them.
hrstrader
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby John SD » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:21 pm

Red Bull Breeder wrote:Only buy the liquid nitrogen once a year when you need it. Been some talk on branding on here before, Freeze branding is not excepted as a legal brand in some states.

As far as I know freeze branding is NOT acceptable in SD as legal proof of ownership. Only registered hot iron brands specific for species and location.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness
copyright July 4, 1776

Smile and do something nice for a liberal today. It will drive them nuts!
John SD
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Red Bull Breeder » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:21 pm

Thats what i was talking about John, think its that away in more states than SD.
Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:43 pm

We freeze brand also. We use liquid nitrogen. We've used dry ice and alcohol too. It is easier to brand a horse than cow because horses have a finer skin.
You can leave the brand on long enough to scar the skin. We have a grey mare that has a scarred brand.

This is a sequence of branding our oldest daughter's horse. It was done with 2 irons - the rocker and the penguin.

Immediately after branding. It is indented and the area will feel cold/frozen.

After it thaws, the branded area will swell. (I don't have a picture of that). After the sweling disappears, it may scab and it will peel in about 2 weeks.
Two weeks after branding.

and several months after the white hair has grown in.

As far as branding cattle, I believe that hot brands are the best. It only takes a few seconds. The heat kills the nerve endings so the pain is quick. With a freeze brand, you have to hold it on for a longer time and the chances of the animal moving are greater.
A freeze brand does hurt. It is a freezing burn. I know from first hand experience.
What is this hand basket and where are we going?
chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby hrstrader » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:39 pm

The swelling. Not sure how to post. https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/K ... directlink
A few cows and a few horses. Work to enjoy them.
hrstrader
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby chippie » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:50 am

here you go hrstrader

What is this hand basket and where are we going?
chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby TexasBred » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:26 am

Red Bull Breeder wrote:Thats what i was talking about John, think its that away in more states than SD.

Either is accepted down here:
Specified as "fire or electric heat brand, freeze brand, acid brand, or hoof brand; earmark, tattoo or electronic device.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough !!!!
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Next

Return to Beginners Board