Clearing land

The place to start if you are new!
CCFARMS
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:17 am

Clearing land

Post by CCFARMS » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:57 pm

I have recently concentrated on clearing my land 40 acres. I have owned it about 5 years and have used it for hunting. Its rough and hard to find a level spot on it. I have a spring fed creek that runs through it that just about splits the land up 60/40. This creek averages about 40' wide and 3' deep and as deep as 12'. I would say the creek is as long as 1/4 a mile just guessing. This land is all sloping and has had terraces in place at one time. There is a flood control lake right next to it that my creek feeds and was excavated back in the day for the runoff of this lake, (pond more like). Plumb thickets and Ivy are my enemy, sumac too. I have brush mowed what i can short of a dozer and recently sprayed some Benvin 2-4-d where i hogged. I was wondering what is the best way to clear land. Should i brush mow then plow then spray after the weeds start growing and then plant grass after and few weeks? I'm currently trying to keep it beat back until fall then jump on it before spring. Should I just wait until spring to battle this because i'm wasting my time now? Thanks for any advice.



User avatar
OLF
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 153
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:49 am
Location: Peterborough, NH

Re: Clearing land

Post by OLF » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:17 pm

Welcome, where abouts are you located? It helps to visualize your terrain, soil and seasons.

Is the perimeter fenced? It sounds like tough terrain for bushhogging. Disregard this suggestion if you don't like it, but it sounds like a pretty good job for goats. Put goats in there for two or three years, they will attack the ivy and any brush they can reach. Just a thought.

CCFARMS
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:17 am

Re: Clearing land

Post by CCFARMS » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:25 pm

OLF wrote:Welcome, where abouts are you located? It helps to visualize your terrain, soil and seasons.

Is the perimeter fenced? It sounds like tough terrain for bushhogging. Disregard this suggestion if you don't like it, but it sounds like a pretty good job for goats. Put goats in there for two or three years, they will attack the ivy and any brush they can reach. Just a thought.


Oklahoma (Stephens county) I have thought of the goat route. It does have fence but not for goats. Goats seem to be the logical answer just haven't done it. The fencing reason only. be nice them goats have gotten high too:) How many i wonder? Thanks for the input. Yes bush hogging is a pain. I despise brush hoggin seems to me to be the biggest waste of time and money when you should have something grazing it.

User avatar
backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy
Posts: 14806
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Texas
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 25 times

Re: Clearing land

Post by backhoeboogie » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:58 pm

THAt 2, 4, D you sprayed is the only thing I have found that works on sumac. That should work for you.

How much slope? Can you get the terraces back in place?

I would not wait for spring. I'd be over seeding some winter grasses to retain the soil, in a few months. Just plain rye grass if nothing else.
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

CCFARMS
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:17 am

Re: Clearing land

Post by CCFARMS » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:18 pm

backhoeboogie wrote:THAt 2, 4, D you sprayed is the only thing I have found that works on sumac. That should work for you.

How much slope? Can you get the terraces back in place?

I would not wait for spring. I'd be over seeding some winter grasses to retain the soil, in a few months. Just plain rye grass if nothing else.


Thanks, Yes terraces are still visual but need some work. I haven't totally stripped it, I have just now began to mow the thickets and brush but i suppose i should plant something in its place. I just figured it would be better to let these die out and decompose because of all the wood that's left on the ground plus the roots. I have a small 32 hp tractor with small implements that don't' like this terrain. It will do the job for about 50 percent of the area but I'll have to get a dozer sooner or later. Would rye seeding work after thicket mowing with out any ground breaking? This would be a fall thing right? I would say the slope is 3 to 4 inches per foot on average.

Angus Cowman
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7151
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:35 pm
Location: the Great State of Mental Distress ( Florida)

Re: Clearing land

Post by Angus Cowman » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:47 am

I would suggest spraying the brush and then burning this fall

I prefer Remedy for getting rid of brush you can add 2-4d with the Remedy to get rid of the weeds if you need to
If they had to actually work with a Spade and Hoe versus electing them we would all be better off (Caustic Burno 2011)

talldog
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 749
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 11:24 am
Location: Willard, North Carolina

Re: Clearing land

Post by talldog » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:04 am

Get you some Longhorns---They will clean as good as a goat and higher !! :tiphat:

SRBeef
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2931
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:10 pm
Location: SW Wisconsin

Re: Clearing land

Post by SRBeef » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:23 am

I would definitely NOT plow ground that is as steep as you describe. Whatever is growing there is better than bare ground.

If you can clear the woody plants enough to let in sunlight you will be surprised at what will come back.

Unfortunately a 30 hp tractor usually cannot handle the mowers you should have. 90-100 hp would be better. May be a lot of chainsaw work or one of these hydraulic tree/brush snips, but again they are not going to work on a 30 hp tractor.

Maybe the place to start is fencing what areas you can and put some cattle in there to get started, especially on the steeper places. I assume since you are on a cattle board you are mostly interested in cattle rather than goats.

Hire someone with a dozer to come in and clear a fenceline for you then clear the inside the fence area one section at a time? I would NOT plow it.

jmho. Good luck.

CCFARMS
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:17 am

Re: Clearing land

Post by CCFARMS » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:23 am

SRBeef wrote:I would definitely NOT plow ground that is as steep as you describe. Whatever is growing there is better than bare ground.

If you can clear the woody plants enough to let in sunlight you will be surprised at what will come back.

Unfortunately a 30 hp tractor usually cannot handle the mowers you should have. 90-100 hp would be better. May be a lot of chainsaw work or one of these hydraulic tree/brush snips, but again they are not going to work on a 30 hp tractor.

Maybe the place to start is fencing what areas you can and put some cattle in there to get started, especially on the steeper places. I assume since you are on a cattle board you are mostly interested in cattle rather than goats.

Hire someone with a dozer to come in and clear a fenceline for you then clear the inside the fence area one section at a time? I would NOT plow it.

jmho. Good luck.


That slope number is probably a little high but it does run down hill pretty good. I'll see if i can dig up some pics.

User avatar
Frankie
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6915
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 4:41 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Clearing land

Post by Frankie » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:44 am

CCFARMS wrote:I have recently concentrated on clearing my land 40 acres. I have owned it about 5 years and have used it for hunting. Its rough and hard to find a level spot on it. I have a spring fed creek that runs through it that just about splits the land up 60/40. This creek averages about 40' wide and 3' deep and as deep as 12'. I would say the creek is as long as 1/4 a mile just guessing. This land is all sloping and has had terraces in place at one time. There is a flood control lake right next to it that my creek feeds and was excavated back in the day for the runoff of this lake, (pond more like). Plumb thickets and Ivy are my enemy, sumac too. I have brush mowed what i can short of a dozer and recently sprayed some Benvin 2-4-d where i hogged. I was wondering what is the best way to clear land. Should i brush mow then plow then spray after the weeds start growing and then plant grass after and few weeks? I'm currently trying to keep it beat back until fall then jump on it before spring. Should I just wait until spring to battle this because i'm wasting my time now? Thanks for any advice.


You can use the Remedy-Diesel spray on trees year 'round. You spray the combination around the bottom 12-18 inches of the tree. Generally it will kill the roots, too. I've been doing some folier spraying on new growth that's trying to come up where we've killed trees with that spray. But with the 100 degree temps we've been having, I'm not sure how long that will be effective. We're sort of victims of our success, I guess. The grass is so thick in that paddock because of the rotational grazing program that it covers up the fallen trees from the spraying and it's hard to ride the 4-wheeler around.

We really need a good fire to burn those downed trees and clear the overburden on the grass. But with the fires we've had the last few years, we just can't bring ourselves to light the match. :D

I'd be careful about plowing anything with that sort of slope. Our experience has been that the grass is there. It just needs some sunlight to grow. When you take out those big trees, it'll take off without you doing anything.

You might check with the conservation people about rebuilding those terraces. We were able to get some conservation money to help us with ours.

CCFARMS
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:17 am

Re: Clearing land

Post by CCFARMS » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:27 am

Frankie wrote:
CCFARMS wrote:I have recently concentrated on clearing my land 40 acres. I have owned it about 5 years and have used it for hunting. Its rough and hard to find a level spot on it. I have a spring fed creek that runs through it that just about splits the land up 60/40. This creek averages about 40' wide and 3' deep and as deep as 12'. I would say the creek is as long as 1/4 a mile just guessing. This land is all sloping and has had terraces in place at one time. There is a flood control lake right next to it that my creek feeds and was excavated back in the day for the runoff of this lake, (pond more like). Plumb thickets and Ivy are my enemy, sumac too. I have brush mowed what i can short of a dozer and recently sprayed some Benvin 2-4-d where i hogged. I was wondering what is the best way to clear land. Should i brush mow then plow then spray after the weeds start growing and then plant grass after and few weeks? I'm currently trying to keep it beat back until fall then jump on it before spring. Should I just wait until spring to battle this because i'm wasting my time now? Thanks for any advice.


You can use the Remedy-Diesel spray on trees year 'round. You spray the combination around the bottom 12-18 inches of the tree. Generally it will kill the roots, too. I've been doing some folier spraying on new growth that's trying to come up where we've killed trees with that spray. But with the 100 degree temps we've been having, I'm not sure how long that will be effective. We're sort of victims of our success, I guess. The grass is so thick in that paddock because of the rotational grazing program that it covers up the fallen trees from the spraying and it's hard to ride the 4-wheeler around.

We really need a good fire to burn those downed trees and clear the overburden on the grass. But with the fires we've had the last few years, we just can't bring ourselves to light the match. :D

I'd be careful about plowing anything with that sort of slope. Our experience has been that the grass is there. It just needs some sunlight to grow. When you take out those big trees, it'll take off without you doing anything.

You might check with the conservation people about rebuilding those terraces. We were able to get some conservation money to help us with ours.


Thanks Frankie some good info there.

User avatar
Frankie
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6915
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 4:41 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Clearing land

Post by Frankie » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:03 pm

You're welcome. If you're planning to buy restricted herbicides, you'll need an applicator's permit. The Stephens County Agent's office has the packet for getting this license through OSU. But Remedy is not a restricted herbicide.
Last edited by Frankie on Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
dun
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 47334
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:34 am
Location: MO Ozarks
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Clearing land

Post by dun » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:22 pm

Frankie wrote:You're welcome. If you're planning to buy restricted herbicides, you'll need an applicator's permit. The Stephens County Agent's office has the packet for getting this license through OSU. But Remedy is not a restricted herbicide.



It used to be, that's why I had to get a license. The only thing I need a license for now is Grazon and I don;t use much of it.
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

User avatar
grannysoo
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4813
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:32 am
Location: The Briar Patch

Re: Clearing land

Post by grannysoo » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:15 am

The goats may be high, but if you'll get them now and turn them in until spring, you'll greatly increase the number of goats that you own. You should make a few $$$ off the goats to help with the additional fencing costs.

1 doe + 1 buck normally = 2 kids. Between now and next spring, you can probably get two litters per doe.
When blacks have identity it is called pride.
When indians have identity it is called culture.
When jews have identity it is called history.
When whites have identity it is called racism.

CCFARMS
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:17 am

Re: Clearing land

Post by CCFARMS » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:23 pm

grannysoo wrote:The goats may be high, but if you'll get them now and turn them in until spring, you'll greatly increase the number of goats that you own. You should make a few $$$ off the goats to help with the additional fencing costs.

1 doe + 1 buck normally = 2 kids. Between now and next spring, you can probably get two litters per doe.


I hear you granny but why in the heck are they so high? All i hear around these parts are "registered", high quality blah blah blah. I really don't know what kind of maintenance is needed other than a good fence but they seem to be a little high for something that doesn't do nothing but eat weeds. I guess i should raise hoppers and sell them to people that eat them (Chinese?). Who eats goat? I have never heard anyone I know or any restaurant that is pushing goat meat in my area. There has to be a reason. Could it be the high bs economy brought on by fuel? I can't see goats doubling in price for this.

Post Reply