Twins

The place to start if you are new!
Post Reply
jeff

Twins

Post by jeff » Sat Apr 13, 2002 4:05 pm

About an hour ago I had a heifer that I recently purchased (E6 beefmaster) give birth to twins! I haven't been around that many calving seasons, but is this common? Is it more common in this breed than others (the rest of my commercial herd is black angus/brangus/gelbveigh influenced. The pair seems to be very healthy. I watched them get up on their own and both of them nursed without a problem. They are really small, but otherwise seemed OK. Is there anything I need to be watching for (both with the calves and the mom)? The momma seems to be doing just fine with them and is letting them nurse without a problem. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks, Jeff

jeffkpierce@cattletoday.com



dunmovin

Re: Twins

Post by dunmovin » Sat Apr 13, 2002 6:23 pm

There or three things to watch for, #1 that she cleans, if the are of different sex, look at the afterbirth and see if there are to planta or just one, probably the most important is that there is adequate milk for both especially ion the first couple of days. You will also have to keep an eye on the heifers condition to insure that she doesn't loose too much weight and not be able to breed back. She will most likely need supplementing if she is two years old too keep growing and produce enough milk.

dunmovin farms

> About an hour ago I had a heifer
> that I recently purchased (E6
> beefmaster) give birth to twins! I
> haven't been around that many
> calving seasons, but is this
> common? Is it more common in this
> breed than others (the rest of my
> commercial herd is black
> angus/brangus/gelbveigh
> influenced. The pair seems to be
> very healthy. I watched them get
> up on their own and both of them
> nursed without a problem. They are
> really small, but otherwise seemed
> OK. Is there anything I need to be
> watching for (both with the calves
> and the mom)? The momma seems to
> be doing just fine with them and
> is letting them nurse without a
> problem. Any feedback would be
> appreciated. Thanks, Jeff

dunmovin

I forgot to add............

Post by dunmovin » Sat Apr 13, 2002 6:30 pm

from the research I've done, twinning is no more common in one breed and another. Even in herds that have been geneticly selected for twinning the incidence of wtins is only around 30%

dunmovin farms

> There or three things to watch
> for, #1 that she cleans, if the
> are of different sex, look at the
> afterbirth and see if there are to
> planta or just one, probably the
> most important is that there is
> adequate milk for both especially
> ion the first couple of days. You
> will also have to keep an eye on
> the heifers condition to insure
> that she doesn't loose too much
> weight and not be able to breed
> back. She will most likely need
> supplementing if she is two years
> old too keep growing and produce
> enough milk.

> dunmovin farms

Jeanne

30%!!!!!!

Post by Jeanne » Thu Apr 18, 2002 6:24 am

Hey Dun - that's sounds really HIGH!!! Seems like MANY years ago, I was told for beef cattle it was 8% and for Simmental is was more like 13%. Even those figures seem too high. No matter - I HATE TWINS!! See ya, Jeanne

> from the research I've done,
> twinning is no more common in one
> breed and another. Even in herds
> that have been geneticly selected
> for twinning the incidence of
> wtins is only around 30%

> dunmovin farms

Simme Valley in NY
simmeval@swns.net

dunmovin

Re: 30%!!!!!!

Post by dunmovin » Thu Apr 18, 2002 3:43 pm

The herd with the high average has been selecting FOR twins for a good number of years. The idiots

dunmovin farms

> Hey Dun - that's sounds really
> HIGH!!! Seems like MANY years ago,
> I was told for beef cattle it was
> 8% and for Simmental is was more
> like 13%. Even those figures seem
> too high. No matter - I HATE
> TWINS!! See ya, Jeanne

dunmovin

USDA MARC on twins

Post by dunmovin » Fri Apr 19, 2002 7:29 am

The link is the an article on the MARC herd that has been selected solely for twinning. I can see MARC doing it for research. The 30% average is for another herd, I've been digging through back copies of stuff and can't find the article now. The guy claimed that he averaged 30% twins every year. The idiot

dunmovin farms

> Hey Dun - that's sounds really
> HIGH!!! Seems like MANY years ago,
> I was told for beef cattle it was
> 8% and for Simmental is was more
> like 13%. Even those figures seem
> too high. No matter - I HATE
> TWINS!! See ya, Jeanne

MARC twins

Post Reply