The place to start if you are new!
TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Re: Priefert chute score

Post by TCRanch » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:16 pm

bird dog wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:40 pm
Dave, There is a lot of difference between the old prieferts and the new SO4's. I had a model from the late 80's or early 90's that was difficult to use. I have one from from a year or two before they SO4's came out. It worked much better and I still have it.

I now am on my second SO4 after my last one was included when the ranch sold. I would never go back to a saloon door chute after having a Filson. The SO4's are well designed and safe to use and work well when working alone which seems to be more the normal lately. The auto catch works well once you learn how to use it properly. It will also catch and hold baby calves. My only wish is that they were just a little bigger. They need another 2 or 3" of width and 4 or 5"of length. 2000 lb animals are a tight fit.
Main reason I prefer our Titan. Granted, not all my cows are huge (fat, tall, long) but even the smaller ones sometimes hesitate getting in the Priefert. And yet the Priefert is easier for me to use.

Hpacres440p
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Hpacres440p » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:07 pm

A little WD40 and everything seems to work ok. I know it’s not as awesome as a new one, but it’s better than the nothing we started with 👍

WFfarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by WFfarm » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:01 am

We really like our Priefert chute and its almost 18 years old and still going strong. We use the carriage a lot moving between 3 farms, but they are only a few miles away from each other. Ours have a guard in the front that the cows have to step over to get out, but the newer ones don't have that.

Named'em Tamed'em
GURU
GURU

Post by Named'em Tamed'em » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:23 pm

bird dog wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:40 pm
Dave, There is a lot of difference between the old prieferts and the new SO4's. I had a model from the late 80's or early 90's that was difficult to use. I have one from from a year or two before they SO4's came out. It worked much better and I still have it.

I now am on my second SO4 after my last one was included when the ranch sold. I would never go back to a saloon door chute after having a Filson. The SO4's are well designed and safe to use and work well when working alone which seems to be more the normal lately. The auto catch works well once you learn how to use it properly. It will also catch and hold baby calves. My only wish is that they were just a little bigger. They need another 2 or 3" of width and 4 or 5"of length. 2000 lb animals are a tight fit.
I have a priefert palp cage and it's too narrow, I have 2 cows that just can't squeeze through. :lol2:
Get over it! It could have been alot worse.