Livestock fire plan

The place to start if you are new!
Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: Livestock fire plan

Post by Brute 23 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:55 pm

I will also add at the end of the day they are just cattle. I know it sounds glorious to say you went down trying protect your animals but that doesnt help your family and friends any. I dont care how clever you are, how experienced you are, etc... fires are no joke and have a mind of their own. The best plan of action is to get the be nice out of the way and join a fired dept or forestry group or some thing if you want to be a hero.

Well, if ranching's so hard, why do we do it?
Because its one be nice of a life, Tate. One be nice of a life.
- John Dutton

I would rather cut off my right arm, than live under tyranny!

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:23 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:55 pm
I will also add at the end of the day they are just cattle. I know it sounds glorious to say you went down trying protect your animals but that doesnt help your family and friends any. I dont care how clever you are, how experienced you are, etc... fires are no joke and have a mind of their own. The best plan of action is to get the be nice out of the way and join a fired dept or forestry group or some thing if you want to be a hero.
I am no hero but planning ahead can save them. Again I have been a wildland firefighter for 46 years and I feel I have saved lots of cows, wildlife, houses and humans and feel like no hero. Hope none of you every have to deal with it. Be prepared way before the fire gets to your place. .
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:59 pm

Be Firewise. Google it. Most states have people and money to help.

Redgully
GURU
GURU

Post by Redgully » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:53 am

kenny thomas wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:23 pm
Brute 23 wrote:
I am no hero but planning ahead can save them. Again I have been a wildland firefighter for 46 years and I feel I have saved lots of cows, wildlife, houses and humans and feel like no hero. Hope none of you every have to deal with it. Be prepared way before the fire gets to your place. .
Fuel reduction burns here are getting restricted more all the time because the smoke upsets the latte drinking twits in the city. We used to stop fires with bulldozers making big fire breaks ahead of the fire but not aloud to push out trees anymore. Volunteers used to fight the fires but now considered a nuisance to career firefighters. So half the problems we are seeing here are our own doing. Add a drought, heat and wind and we all knew what was going to happen. I went through one ripper fire once and enough for me. We were prepared and saved pretty much everything. Radiated heat is unbelievable what it can do. This fire was 150 meters away from a chemical shed and it just exploded.

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:53 am

kenny thomas wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:
During Kenny's first firefight, Noah's flood put it out.... :tiphat:
Just joking Kenny I admire what you do.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:11 am

In many if the major grass and scrub brush fires mother nature or the Good Lord put them out.
In West Oklahoma in the spring of 2018 we were on a fire that moved 3 miles in 30 minutes burning everything in it's path. Weather changed and the next day we just put out hot spots.

greggy
GURU
GURU

Post by greggy » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:10 am

The paddock with prob 5 shade trees in 2acre has less than an inch of grass at this time, and has roads on both sides...I am also grazing down the roadside vegetation.

I think any forest or dense tree atea would be over 400m away at least, so it was the radiant heat I was thinking of.

If they would move away from this....could always leave a perimeter exit...but that may not be a good idea for a few reasons.

Lots to think of.....

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:15 am

Brute 23 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:48 pm
I assist some friends burn quite a bit every year and have the same thoughts from time to time. All I can say is if you have not been around pasture burning take what you can imagine and x10. With enough fuel it's very violent. I've seen 20' flames off pasture and when it gets in trees is just flat out scary.

Statigic fire breaks around your property would be the best bet. Use roads, ponds, etc that are already in place to help. Mowe 30-50' and disk or plow 10-20'. Its not a guarantee but it sure helps. Go around trees lines, not between.
Nailed it, Brute.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:44 pm

Timely topic. Red flag warning was issued this morning with 45 mph winds, gusts up to 60. Crews from 5 towns, 2 counties are currently battling a fire that's a mile long and about 10 miles south of us. Fortunately they were able to move the cattle and no injuries or fatalities reported so far. Our ranch is covered in smoke, even in our garage and the cattle are fired up - they clearly sense danger. Although that could be from me pacing around, watching the south pasture. 10 miles seems like a lot but not when it's been dry and there's nothing but pastures & crop land.

greggy
GURU
GURU

Post by greggy » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:19 pm

Yeah, that is not far if there is good winds and you have stuff that will burn.....embers can come raining down....

We have had long drought, been extremely dry spring and into summer, 100 to 115 f days and similar winds on some of those hot days, which in some places changes direction.....poor comditio s prior for hazard reductions.....so viola....perfect storm.

We will start our flood plans soon...

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:37 pm

I've been thru flood already, and can honestly say I would prefer that to a wildfire any day.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Post by 1982vett » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:59 am

sstterry wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:53 am
kenny thomas wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:
During Kenny's first firefight, Noah's flood put it out.... :tiphat:
Just joking Kenny I admire what you do.
Haha.....we probably got 2 inches that time..... :) :lol:
Aug 7, 2019 22:51GMT -5 the illustrious potentate said:
Because you have the freedom to say what you think, doesn't always mean that you should.

The right to speak freely is not free of consequences.

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Post by backhoeboogie » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:06 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:37 pm
I have seen lots of fires over my 46 year career and several cattle, horses, deer, and lots of small animals burned. The shorter the grass the less the danger but seen lots of ranchers disc around their pastures. Seen a fire in Western Oklahoma last year where the ranchers stopped parts of the fire by discing a wide area. A disc and as a last resort burning from the disc area away from the cattle.
I have straddled that fire line dragging a 22 foot disc. It’s pretty amazing how much you kill with a disc. Dry ground turns really well.

I was burned out in ‘90. Lost 3 barns. Lost all fences. They saved my house. I was not home at the time.

I had one lot by the house. We rounded up loose stock. We fed and watered them. Most folks claimed their animals within a day or two and were grateful. One guy from the metroplex got here a week later mad as be nice that I had his stock on my property. You just never know folks.
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Post by backhoeboogie » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:25 pm

Back to the original post. We get winds out of every direction.

A disc can do you a lot of good. If you get into the red flag condition, it’s a good idea to have that disc hooked up to the tractor.

My little liquid fertilizer rig puts out a nice spray pattern. I fill it with water and check the tires every 4th of July or when we get in dangerous conditions.

I’d much rather put the fire out on my neighbor’s place. If fire breaks out, it’s best to nip it in the bud. If gates are locked, just cut a gap in the fence. You can always fix it later. They’ll be appreciative.
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Post by Brute 23 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:10 pm

Ya it's not that hard to put out fire if it's not crazy. If you have shredded or eaten the grass down low a regular sprayer like you spray brush with on your utv can knock quite a bit of fire back. Add dishwashing soap to your water. A $300 transfer pump from harbor freight will really knock a fire back. If you can get a couple hundred gallons mobile with a pump you can definitely fend off an area if there is not too much fuel.

A back burn is the best route but you can only do that if you have decent fire break already in place.
Well, if ranching's so hard, why do we do it?
Because its one be nice of a life, Tate. One be nice of a life.
- John Dutton

I would rather cut off my right arm, than live under tyranny!