Redgully
GURU
GURU

Re: Livestock fire plan

Post by Redgully » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:39 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:00 pm
The dishwashing liquid is a great addition. Thanks for mentioning that
I was always told we could use a spreader that we use with weed sprays, something like agral, would this be correct. Is it the foaming or spreading action that works better. My brother is a water well driller and he has some pretty good foaming chemicals they use to bring the cuttings up out the hole, i could get my hands on that. I remember when we were teenagers some of my mates (not me) used to tip some into the water fountains they have in the roundabouts in town. Used to cause a right commotion.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:46 pm

Anything like that will work. Soap just makes water wetter and it sticks and does not evaporate as fast. The thinker the foam covers anything the better.
Can't find a link offhand but one company makes a container that hooks into your water hose and the soap gets mixed as you spray. Enough to coat a house.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Post by farmerjan » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:56 pm

Would either a fertilizer attachment for a garden hose or a soap attachment work? There are a few on amazon, and most any garden shop will carry a fertilizer attachment for a hose. Some you actually can use with a bigger container and there used to be one that would siphon right out of an actual bucket.

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Post by backhoeboogie » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:04 pm

farmerjan wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:56 pm
Would either a fertilizer attachment for a garden hose or a soap attachment work? There are a few on amazon, and most any garden shop will carry a fertilizer attachment for a hose. Some you actually can use with a bigger container and there used to be one that would siphon right out of an actual bucket.
If it’s an eductor type suction line, absolutely. It will pull soap water into the main line.
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Post by farmerjan » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:17 pm

backhoeboogie wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:04 pm
farmerjan wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:56 pm
If it’s an eductor type suction line, absolutely. It will pull soap water into the main line.
I think I saw one on amazon that said something about a backstop valve so that the soap only was sucked into the hose and not back into the water supply? I would have to go look it up, but I do know that there are a couple of types of fertilizer attachments that you attach to the hose near the sprayer end that puts fertilizer into the water that you are using so it feeds and waters the plants at the same time.

greggy
GURU
GURU

Post by greggy » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:53 am

My pressure washer has an attachment that will draw in a decent amount of whatever foaming cleaner you put into it...like for washing trucks......but they are on 5 to 10m hoses and small water volume....and you would need a 2400w generator....but the water supply could be an IBC with just gravity feed.....

If you have room for 2 on your truck or trailer, may be useful ?

For me, I think a well grazed paddock with some breaks is the go.....

I have IBCs...I should fill them put them here and there,,,and get a pump and hose to suit....

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:34 am

Kenny,
Back when we had the Gatlinburg fire in the Smokies, there was a lot a discussion around here about a fire retardant foam that could be sprayed on buildings with a garden hose that is quite common in Calif. Do you know much about this?

greggy
GURU
GURU

Post by greggy » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:59 am

On another note, we have had a lot of problems with fire retardands.....basically many were poison...for people and the ground...

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Post by Brute 23 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:13 pm

All the vfds have foam cannons on their trucks but it's mainly for o&g fires or things of that nature.

We just dump soap in the tanks and send it. You can buy dawn in 5g- 55g buckets much cheaper.
Well, if ranching's so hard, why do we do it?
Because its one be nice of a life, Tate. One be nice of a life.
- John Dutton

I would rather cut off my right arm, than live under tyranny!

Mowgli
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Mowgli » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:11 pm

We are surrounded by fires currently. Last year we were evacutated. This year, so far, been on watch and act.
Cows do NOT LIKE fire! My sheep dont care it seems, chicken rooster is possessed and attacking anything, and anyone who dares to enter the state, let alone our land. Totally lost the plot due to smoke.

When cows are spooked by fire/smoke, they will head for the treed area on a property, the most dangerous area, so no, you cannot rely on them to go to safety. And of course, you will feel a stong urge to try and get them out of there to safety.

You clearly cannot back burn with a total fire ban in place. And only back burn with license and advice and CFA truck nearby IMO.

Part of my plan was to deal with neighbour not slashing his fields. He's not interested, council dont have any clout, or at least, giving him way too much time for my safety. We are on high alert, and his paddock is 4 foot high. So some wire cutters have sorted that. Ive let my livestock 'break in' to his un-slashed paddock and left for the w/e. I am alive to apologise when he next visits his 'farm' that is empty, cept when the city slicker comes to stay and play farmer for a long w/e.

We strip graze, = longer grasses and thus higher risks. So we have a good ploughed perimeter fire break spring to winter.
I have water in containers left in paddocks to exstinguish spot fires or embers.
I have 2 (dogs) who warn strongly in fire. One of these unfortunately thinks for herself in a fire, and will bring all the darn animals to me for help. So that's cows being pushed through the front door scenario occurring in panic situation. Not good. So i now know to secure her first!

Whist we've been able to avoid fire on our property, the smoke is causing havoc; the hay stinks now, and cows not interested. 21 bales ruined! Its also spooking the animals, enough to render my fire plan a complete joke! I had dreams of transporting them. Er, the roads are blocked, trees down, animals are wild in behaviour and unpredictable and aggressive. Even my house cow broke my foot running toward me away from smoke and did not stop in time.
So new plan: livestock to remain and BBQ, dogs/chooks in crates on ute. Its horrific AND achievable. Unlike my last fire plan fantasy.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:48 am

Mowgli - welcome to our board - and my heart goes out to you.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."