What to do when a cow wont get in the squeeze?

The place to start if you are new!
cowgal604
Rancher
Rancher

Re: What to do when a cow wont get in the squeeze?

Post by cowgal604 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:00 pm

WFfarm wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:16 pm
I would recommend adding plywood to the inside of your alley. Doesn't have to be very thick. We've found that if they can't get a nose or a hoof started through a gate panel, there is less likelihood they will try to go thru or up and over.

Or even look at stall panel screens. They are lightweight and easy to attach to panel gates.
Yes someone else mentioned that to me too. I have 20 in this field right now, only 2 of them really cause issues. I cant even get them to walk down the alley. You think making it so they cant see through the panels will make them want to walk down it more?

greggy
Rancher
Rancher

Post by greggy » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:34 pm

I have not read the thread.....but they prob need to see an escape route to go....

Sounds like they may have had bad experience.

This may not be practical, but lock them in..the 2, in there, get them hungry, and use food to get them to start moving around and through the area, till it is not worrying them ?

I try and get all animals to eat and move through yards from time to time, so it does not just become a place that is stressfull and where pain is dished out.

I try and do this to young animals, may not be practical on all properties though....

cowgal604
Rancher
Rancher

Post by cowgal604 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:55 pm

greggy wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:34 pm
I have not read the thread.....but they prob need to see an escape route to go....

This may not be practical, but lock them in..the 2, in there, get them hungry, and use food to get them to start moving around and through the area, till it is not worrying them ?

I try and get all animals to eat and move through yards from time to time, so it does not just become a place that is stressfull and where pain is dished out.

I try and do this to young animals, may not be practical on all properties though....
Tried it. Bad girl jumped the fence and ate my flowers instead.

I am fine right now. No issues. Just updating this old thread to show my efforts haha.

slick4591
Mentor
Mentor

Post by slick4591 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:39 pm

One trick I learned was feeding them in the catch pen and leaving them one way out, thru the chute. They'll become accustomed to it and move freely thru there after a while. The only time I have problems is when someone is there they don't know.
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

greggy
Rancher
Rancher

Post by greggy » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:00 pm

cowgal604 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:55 pm
greggy wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:34 pm

Tried it. Bad girl jumped the fence and ate my flowers instead.

I am fine right now. No issues. Just updating this old thread to show my efforts haha.
lol.....did you try ball and chain along with shackles ......

Anyway...I think if vision was blocked off completely....it would have some baulk.

Assume they are not going down hill or anything...my yards are on slope, but I move them sideways or up hill...

May just have to let them be if they are too hard...

greggy
Rancher
Rancher

Post by greggy » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:09 pm

slick4591 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:39 pm
One trick I learned was feeding them in the catch pen and leaving them one way out, thru the chute. They'll become accustomed to it and move freely thru there after a while. The only time I have problems is when someone is there they don't know.
Sheep do same....if using food they like...you could prob walk them into a meat processing room....

When I was picking up some sheep at one place....as was talking too owner...the mob of sheep started working themselves through yards and down race.....and on it went....was quite comical.

They are regularly up there for feed...

Would not expect cattle to do this, but they do catch on pretty quick and even the stubborn ones join in at some point.

WFfarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by WFfarm » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:38 am

cowgal604 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:00 pm
WFfarm wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:16 pm
I would recommend adding plywood to the inside of your alley. Doesn't have to be very thick. We've found that if they can't get a nose or a hoof started through a gate panel, there is less likelihood they will try to go thru or up and over.

Or even look at stall panel screens. They are lightweight and easy to attach to panel gates.
Yes someone else mentioned that to me too. I have 20 in this field right now, only 2 of them really cause issues. I cant even get them to walk down the alley. You think making it so they cant see through the panels will make them want to walk down it more?
The Temple Gradin design uses curved solid alleyways where the cattle can't see the end. The theory is they will continue to go forward to see what's around the corner, looking for an outlet. We've used a dog-leg alley to encourage them to keep moving forward. It has to narrow down to prevent them from turning around.

No system or design is fool proof when you have a stubborn or crazy cow. Sometimes the friendly pet ones can be the worst to move.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:51 am

I didn't read this whole thread. Might not be the most popular answer here but judicious use of a hot shot can work wonders. Don't fry them as some would do. Just a quick shock on the rear. And always when their head is facing the way you want them to go.

Hippie Rancher
GURU
GURU

Post by Hippie Rancher » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:54 pm

Dave wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:51 am
I didn't read this whole thread. Might not be the most popular answer here but judicious use of a hot shot can work wonders. Don't fry them as some would do. Just a quick shock on the rear. And always when their head is facing the way you want them to go.

the gentle pet ones mentioned above are especially good candidates for this