What to do when a cow wont get in the squeeze?

The place to start if you are new!
cowgal604
Rancher
Rancher

Re: What to do when a cow wont get in the squeeze?

Post by cowgal604 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:13 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:53 pm
"She jumped over it and onto the roof of the squeeze smashing it to the ground"
I guess I don't understand what kind of "squeeze chute" you have. I do not know of any that have a roof or that an animal can jump on and smash down to the ground????
An elephant might be able to "smash" a chute.
She tipped it.

cowgal604
Rancher
Rancher

Post by cowgal604 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:14 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:47 pm
Gun is a good idea. Dart not so much. Good thing is you can burger her w/o waiting for a withdrawal period.
Shes about 4.5 months pregnant

cowgal604
Rancher
Rancher

Post by cowgal604 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:20 pm

Lbass wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:01 pm
TCRanch wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:28 pm
Just throwing this out: You say she normally does not behave in this manner and you also have a bull that lately has been quite aggressive. Is Anaplasmosis prevalent at all in Canada? Sudden aggression is very common in the advanced stage.

That said, in my world aggression and jumping are not tolerated and will earn them a one way trip to the sale barn.
My vet has suspected some Anaplasmosis problems here. The way I understood it. The anaplasmosis causes a shortage of oxygen to the brain causing a change in behavior... That's a step in progression somewhere between slipping a calf and the cow dropping dead if you try to run her very far to a corral.... So then you have to ask, how hot and humid was it, how worked up was she...

I may be off base on how that works, but that's what comes to mind.
Its not hot here at all anymore. Actually quiet cold. I really think she is picking up vibes from the bull but that being said when I had 20 heifer bottle calves (she was one of them) she was always the hardest to get to do things. She usually cooperates though but I personally think its a mixture of her feeling like crap and the fact that the bull is acting crazy. And I think hes acting crazy because a lot of my cows are cycling again after just calving.

cowgal604
Rancher
Rancher

Post by cowgal604 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:22 pm

Ky hills wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:01 pm
cowgal604 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:09 pm
76 Bar wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:35 pm
Cattle who have a history of being cooperative during chute procedures might hesitate but don't go flat out berserk when confronted with a novel piece of equipment. Something is wrong with this picture. :roll:
This is why we are confused. She normally does not do this. We have a bull in the field with them at all times and lately he has been quiet aggressive. To the point where even our neighbours have mentioned it. They run an animal rescue tho and are over the top to say the least but he has been quiet jumpy lately. I do not feel safe with him in the field. I assumed it was because the girls were cycling or because we have young calves in the field now. That is a first for him and the cow that jumped.
That kind of behavior from the cow would be reason enough for me to cull her regardless of whether it is new or not. Bulls should always be taken seriously and with caution but we have not had any issues with beef breed bulls being aggressive. Makes me wonder if there is something else going on, like dogs or other predators in the fields.
My family wants to cull her. But she's currently pregnant. She actually lost her first calf so I gave her another shot at it. Vet thinks she's about 4 months along. Because only 1 month ago she let us pregnancy check her in a different squeeze.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Post by Brute 23 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:37 pm

Can you send a pic of the alley, chute, and squeeze? It sounds like there is more to it.
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

cowgal604
Rancher
Rancher

Post by cowgal604 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:05 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:37 pm
Can you send a pic of the alley, chute, and squeeze? It sounds like there is more to it.
I will snap some photos when im home in about 5 hours and upload.

76 Bar
Rancher
Rancher

Post by 76 Bar » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:24 pm

It sounds like there is more to it.
Yep. As I said earlier..."Something is wrong with this picture".
She actually lost her first calf so I gave her another shot at it.
Providing it wasn't attributed to mismanagement, giving her a second chance often as not bites you on the butt sooner rather than latter.
Disposition is equal parts nature and nurture. Cull for bidable behavior and treated properly cattle will wiling do your bidding.

cowgal604
Rancher
Rancher

Post by cowgal604 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:45 pm

76 Bar wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:24 pm
It sounds like there is more to it.
Yep. As I said earlier..."Something is wrong with this picture".
She actually lost her first calf so I gave her another shot at it.
Providing it wasn't attributed to mismanagement, giving her a second chance often as not bites you on the butt sooner rather than latter.
Disposition is equal parts nature and nurture. Cull for bidable behavior and treated properly cattle will wiling do your bidding.
Calf was born I believe about a month early with a cleft pallet and she also had difficulty calving. I raised this cow from a bottle at 3 days old so I know everything she's been through. Right now my biggest concern with her is how to fix her foot as I will not sell her in this condition and will not sell her pregnant. I need to see how this next calf does before I send her off to some sorry bugger.

Lucky
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Lucky » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:58 pm

How long has she had the foot problem? Is her hock visibly swollen? I usually wait a week or two before taking action on foot issues. 90% of the time foot issues work their self out but every now and then you gotta take the cow to the vet. My vet always says she needs a block on the toe, not sure what he’s calling a block but it always works. Last 2 I got up for foot issues acted pretty bad. I think it has to do with the fever and chasing them on a hurt foot. If you can’t get someone to rope her maybe you can talk her into staying off that foot until it gets better. Draxxin is good for foot rot if you get a dart gun.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:08 am

I believe these are more PETS than herd cows - that's the owners choice. Pets can get spoiled and misbehave. Bulls can get excited when cows come into heat. Rightfully expected behavior.
Hard to visualize how a cow can get a chute tipped over. Interested in seeing pictures of facilities.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Blb515
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Blb515 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:45 am

I wouldn’t bother with inspecting the foot. I also would not shoot her with a dart gun. She gets too shaken up to begin with, I would give shot a wait and see.

Take your time. Don’t think she has to be in a chute to give a shot. Use the other cows to crowd her either in the lead up to chute or put them all in a trailer or small pen to the point she can’t hardly move and give her the shot.

If your going to keep her after she gets over the foot. Get her in the habit of going through the squeeze. Open it up as wide as it will go, send her with cows in front and back of her with feed outside of the chute. Don’t get in a hurry. B

cowgal604
Rancher
Rancher

Post by cowgal604 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:00 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:08 am
I believe these are more PETS than herd cows - that's the owners choice. Pets can get spoiled and misbehave. Bulls can get excited when cows come into heat. Rightfully expected behavior.
Hard to visualize how a cow can get a chute tipped over. Interested in seeing pictures of facilities.
I totally forgot to snap a photo of my set up. I will do it today. I would like your opinion on it. And you are correct. My cows are pets for the most part. They are not "normal" cows. Pretty sure they would not find water if I didn't fill it up each day and show them haha.

I did get a few pictures of my cow. Vet wanted to see the leg but I couldn't get a good enough one. I did manage to get her to eat out of my hands, but the moment I go for the foot she runs. But at least shes running away. I think that's a good sign that her leg may be getting better. She still is very heavy in her step as I can see she is trying to walk lightly on it.

I don't expect you to be able to see anything in this photo but its her front left foot. You can see in her stance how its bothering her. But this is the beast in all her glory.

cowgal604
Rancher
Rancher

Post by cowgal604 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:03 am

Blb515 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:45 am
I wouldn’t bother with inspecting the foot. I also would not shoot her with a dart gun. She gets too shaken up to begin with, I would give shot a wait and see.

Take your time. Don’t think she has to be in a chute to give a shot. Use the other cows to crowd her either in the lead up to chute or put them all in a trailer or small pen to the point she can’t hardly move and give her the shot.

If your going to keep her after she gets over the foot. Get her in the habit of going through the squeeze. Open it up as wide as it will go, send her with cows in front and back of her with feed outside of the chute. Don’t get in a hurry. B
Thank you that's good advice. I plan to move her over to one of my other farms in a smaller herd. She seems to be rubbing off on some of my other cows. I am hoping getting her around my two incredibly tame pet steer will get her to smarten up.

Lucky
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Lucky » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:30 pm

If she’ll eat out of your hand you just need a push pole syringe. Be easy to give her a shot.

cowgal604
Rancher
Rancher

Post by cowgal604 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:08 pm

Lucky wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:30 pm
If she’ll eat out of your hand you just need a push pole syringe. Be easy to give her a shot.
My gawd. See this is why I come here haha. I had no idea this existed. I have literally hid inside the round bale feeder in the past and injected a cow when they least expected it. This is a much better and safer method haha. And I think it will work. Assuming its not something stuck in her foot I am going to buy one of these off Amazon right away.