What to do when a cow wont get in the squeeze?

The place to start if you are new!
Lbass
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: What to do when a cow wont get in the squeeze?

Post by Lbass » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:19 pm

cowgal604 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:11 pm
In my cart..

https://shop.pneudart.com/cattle-178b-m ... e-package/
I've seen several different models and types, I've seen better trajectories on compound bows than some of the dart guns. Darts are heavy, You'll have to be reasonably close. Good luck.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Post by 1982vett » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:19 pm

Vet said wait it out...from experience, it may take about 4 months to walk without notice. Then put wheels under her. Nobody has time for a cow like that!
Aug 7, 2019 22:51GMT -5 the illustrious potentate said:
Because you have the freedom to say what you think, doesn't always mean that you should.

The right to speak freely is not free of consequences.

76 Bar
Rancher
Rancher

Post by 76 Bar » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:35 pm

Cattle who have a history of being cooperative during chute procedures might hesitate but don't go flat out berserk when confronted with a novel piece of equipment. Something is wrong with this picture. :roll:

cowgal604
Rancher
Rancher

Post by cowgal604 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:09 pm

76 Bar wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:35 pm
Cattle who have a history of being cooperative during chute procedures might hesitate but don't go flat out berserk when confronted with a novel piece of equipment. Something is wrong with this picture. :roll:
This is why we are confused. She normally does not do this. We have a bull in the field with them at all times and lately he has been quiet aggressive. To the point where even our neighbours have mentioned it. They run an animal rescue tho and are over the top to say the least but he has been quiet jumpy lately. I do not feel safe with him in the field. I assumed it was because the girls were cycling or because we have young calves in the field now. That is a first for him and the cow that jumped.

chaded
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by chaded » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:38 pm

“What to do when a cow won’t get in the squeeze chute?” ...I then see if she will get in the trailer. I just bought a bull and I asked the guy about temperament. He said “chute shakers get culled immediately.” I would add “chute jumpers” to that list. :lol:

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:47 pm

Gun is a good idea. Dart not so much. Good thing is you can burger her w/o waiting for a withdrawal period.
Stocker Steve

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Post by Ky hills » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:01 pm

cowgal604 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:09 pm
76 Bar wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:35 pm
This is why we are confused. She normally does not do this. We have a bull in the field with them at all times and lately he has been quiet aggressive. To the point where even our neighbours have mentioned it. They run an animal rescue tho and are over the top to say the least but he has been quiet jumpy lately. I do not feel safe with him in the field. I assumed it was because the girls were cycling or because we have young calves in the field now. That is a first for him and the cow that jumped.
That kind of behavior from the cow would be reason enough for me to cull her regardless of whether it is new or not. Bulls should always be taken seriously and with caution but we have not had any issues with beef breed bulls being aggressive. Makes me wonder if there is something else going on, like dogs or other predators in the fields.

Lucky
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Lucky » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:35 pm

I’d give her 30cc’s of nylon. Dart gun works too but once they get wound up the meds don’t work allot of times and they won’t go down. I normally don’t cull a cow that acts fine when she isn’t sick but acts up when she has an issue and you were trying to dr her. It’s funny how you can go into a pasture with 100 cows and the one you’re after knows what’s up as soon as the gate shuts.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:45 pm

What Lbass said is very true but in the spirit of full disclosure I have to confess to owning several who will jump a fence in a flash when pressured.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:53 pm

"She jumped over it and onto the roof of the squeeze smashing it to the ground"
I guess I don't understand what kind of "squeeze chute" you have. I do not know of any that have a roof or that an animal can jump on and smash down to the ground????
An elephant might be able to "smash" a chute.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:28 pm

Just throwing this out: You say she normally does not behave in this manner and you also have a bull that lately has been quite aggressive. Is Anaplasmosis prevalent at all in Canada? Sudden aggression is very common in the advanced stage.

That said, in my world aggression and jumping are not tolerated and will earn them a one way trip to the sale barn.

Lbass
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Lbass » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:01 pm

TCRanch wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:28 pm
Just throwing this out: You say she normally does not behave in this manner and you also have a bull that lately has been quite aggressive. Is Anaplasmosis prevalent at all in Canada? Sudden aggression is very common in the advanced stage.

That said, in my world aggression and jumping are not tolerated and will earn them a one way trip to the sale barn.
My vet has suspected some Anaplasmosis problems here. The way I understood it. The anaplasmosis causes a shortage of oxygen to the brain causing a change in behavior... That's a step in progression somewhere between slipping a calf and the cow dropping dead if you try to run her very far to a corral.... So then you have to ask, how hot and humid was it, how worked up was she...

I may be off base on how that works, but that's what comes to mind.

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:10 pm

cowgal604 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:11 pm
In my cart..

https://shop.pneudart.com/cattle-178b-m ... e-package/
My problem with the pneudart is if it's foot rot you'll need to shoot her six or eight times to get enough in her. Which is why I opted for the medi-dart.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:52 pm

No doubt she has a brain behavior problem. Question - - are meds & brain surgery, or a three phase grinder, the safest way to fix this?
Stocker Steve

Redgully
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Redgully » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:06 pm

Many years ago when i was a teenager i had a cow on the lead walking her in to the crush to do A.I. on. She was and always had been as quiet as a mouse. Next thing she was thrashing around. I couldn't work it out but her tail was up and her ears back. So she decided if we were going to keep going she was going to be pushing me. We made it another 20 meters when i spotted a 5 foot tiger snake with its head up and ready for business! I swear i nearly ran straight over that cow. The snake lost it's head shortly after and the cow was tied to a pole elswhere and A.I.d there and took too. She never gave me any trouble again and had 14 calves.