What to do when a cow wont get in the squeeze?

The place to start if you are new!
cowgal604
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

What to do when a cow wont get in the squeeze?

Post by cowgal604 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:15 am

We have a cow that has a foot issue. We have tried to get her in the squeeze now twice. First time with 3 people and the help of a vet. She literally jumped over it. Tried again and same result. We have got a new squeeze. Don't know why but she is terrified of it.

Our vet assumed maybe foot rot. We've got a ton of water lately. I doubt it though. I have had two cows in this field with foot injuries this year. One with a nail the other a rock.

Its now 7 days on this limping leg and it does seem to be getting somewhat better but she's spending a lot of time alone in the shelter.

Our vet told us to just wait it out. I have not been able to treat her at all because of this.

What would you do about this?

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Re: What to do when a cow wont get in the squeeze?

Post by Bright Raven » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:21 am

Do you mean she jumped over the alley wall leading into the chute? If so and the alley is not substandard - I am not sure there is much more you can do unless you roof it!
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

cowgal604
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by cowgal604 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:26 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:21 am
Do you mean she jumped over the alley wall leading into the chute? If so and the alley is not substandard - I am not sure there is much more you can do unless you roof it!
She jumped over it and onto the roof of the squeeze smashing it to the ground. Now we cant even get her to get back into the alley or the box at all. She just jumps the fence and goes into the front yard :help:

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:31 am

cowgal604 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:26 am
Bright Raven wrote:
She jumped over it and onto the roof of the squeeze smashing it to the ground. Now we cant even get her to get back into the alley or the box at all. She just jumps the fence and goes into the front yard :help:
I don't have any experience like that - thank goodness. My problem is they stop in the alley to lollygag. I would consider a cow like that "Armed and dangerous".
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

A.J.
GURU
GURU

Post by A.J. » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:38 am

Sorry for the issues. If you making adjustments to your fence, alley, and the chute don’t make a difference, does Your vet have a dart gun they could use for meds or to tranquilize her? I’ve got one that cuts up when i try to work her. She’s going to town this Saturday. Not worth taking a chance on getting someone hurt and tearing up the facilities.

ChrisB
GURU
GURU

Post by ChrisB » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:41 am

Won't help you in examining the foot, but if the vet is pretty sure it is foot rot, I would find someone with a dart gun. If it heals, problem solved. If not, dart her again with something that will knock her out.

ChrisB
GURU
GURU

Post by ChrisB » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:42 am

A.J. wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:38 am
Sorry for the issues. If you making adjustments to your fence, alley, and the chute don’t make a difference, does Your vet have a dart gun they could use for meds or to tranquilize her? I’ve got one that cuts up when i try to work her. She’s going to town this Saturday. Not worth taking a chance on getting someone hurt and tearing up the facilities.
Beat me to it! :)

cowgal604
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by cowgal604 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:53 am

ChrisB wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:41 am
Won't help you in examining the foot, but if the vet is pretty sure it is foot rot, I would find someone with a dart gun. If it heals, problem solved. If not, dart her again with something that will knock her out.
I always thought I would sound crazy to bring up a dart gun haha. I am glad to know this is an option. I think ill give her another 24 hours and use that has my next plan of attack. Ill start working on who has one and if our vet can do that.

This cow is normally not like this. Shes been in the squeeze a ton. I think this new one just terrifies her :mad:

cowgal604
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by cowgal604 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:56 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:31 am
cowgal604 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:26 am
Bright Raven wrote:
I don't have any experience like that - thank goodness. My problem is they stop in the alley to lollygag. I would consider a cow like that "Armed and dangerous".
You are lucky and yes you are right haha. Once you have a jumper you're in for a real fun time. I have one cow that loves the squeeze and wont get out. She runs in and lays down. Weirdest cow.

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Post by Ky hills » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:26 pm

cowgal604 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:53 am
ChrisB wrote:
I always thought I would sound crazy to bring up a dart gun haha. I am glad to know this is an option. I think ill give her another 24 hours and use that has my next plan of attack. Ill start working on who has one and if our vet can do that.

This cow is normally not like this. Shes been in the squeeze a ton. I think this new one just terrifies her :mad:
Dart guns definitely have their place, we have one and consider it to have been one of our best investments. If an animal is in need of treatment and cannot easily be run through the chute then the dart gun is a good way to treat them in a timely manner.

cowgal604
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by cowgal604 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:47 pm

Ky hills wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:26 pm
cowgal604 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:53 am
ChrisB wrote:

Dart guns definitely have their place, we have one and consider it to have been one of our best investments. If an animal is in need of treatment and cannot easily be run through the chute then the dart gun is a good way to treat them in a timely manner.
I am sure the boys will be stoked to hear this is an option when I get home. I will have to do some reading on it but I think its important I learn how to operate one of these things.

Buck Randall
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Buck Randall » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:31 pm

Was she alone when she freaked out at the chute? I'd try running her though with some calmer cattle in front and behind.

cowgal604
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by cowgal604 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:46 pm

Buck Randall wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:31 pm
Was she alone when she freaked out at the chute? I'd try running her though with some calmer cattle in front and behind.
She was not. We ran her through first with our herd. The same 10 cows she has been with since birth. She was towards the middle and ended up freaking out the last half who also then refused to go through.

We tried her 2 days later, lured her in the box with grain, the entire herd came in, we made it so they all had to walk down the alley and into the squeeze to get out. She refused to walk down after all the other left. Then when we tried to coax her in she jumped two fences and ended up at our front door...

cowgal604
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by cowgal604 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:11 pm

Lbass
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Lbass » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:14 pm

Your Vet should have the dart gun and drugs to sleep and revive. Just make sure she is calm when you dart her, and don't be surprised when she trots off. Don't chase her, just let her lay down at her own pace. They also don't go to sleep, they just lay down and are out of it. Probably going to need someone kneeling on her neck so she doesn't thrash and hurt anyone. Wouldn't hurt to have a truck there to rope the foot in question to.

I had an old cattle trader tell me once. "There are to many good cattle in this old world. A man shouldn't have to put up with that."