Hallelujah to women in farming

The place to start if you are new!
cowgal604
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 204
Joined: Wed May 29, 2019 8:22 pm
Location: Langley, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 56 times

Hallelujah to women in farming

Post by cowgal604 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:24 pm

Everyone is away and I’m left to man the farm on my own. Woke up to my entire herd (except one) wandering our property after pushing through the fence. They ate an entire months worth of grain (hopefully they are ok), ransacked the barn, flipped over sawdust buckets, burst into the chicken coop, burst a water pipe even ate a whole bin of chicken scratch. I fixed the fence, wrangled up every single cow on foot, repaired the fence, fixed the water pipe and cleaned up this mess. All with a 2 year old by my side. Now off to my day job.



Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image



tncattle
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1972
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:52 pm
Location: Tennessee
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Hallelujah to women in farming

Post by tncattle » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:15 pm

Do you wear a cape at your day job?

cowgal604
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 204
Joined: Wed May 29, 2019 8:22 pm
Location: Langley, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 56 times

Re: Hallelujah to women in farming

Post by cowgal604 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:29 pm

tncattle wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:15 pm
Do you wear a cape at your day job?
Worse, stiletto pumps. Corporate job, dirty life.
Image

tncattle
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1972
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:52 pm
Location: Tennessee
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Hallelujah to women in farming

Post by tncattle » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:35 pm

I confess I had to google Stiletto Pumps. I don’t know how y’all walk in those things?!

cowgal604
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 204
Joined: Wed May 29, 2019 8:22 pm
Location: Langley, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 56 times

Re: Hallelujah to women in farming

Post by cowgal604 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:39 pm

tncattle wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:35 pm
I confess I had to google Stiletto Pumps. I don’t know how y’all walk in those things?!
I don’t know how y’all walk in cowboy boots! They kill me

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10825
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Has thanked: 463 times
Been thanked: 695 times

Re: Hallelujah to women in farming

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:54 pm

WE are powerful!!!
What spooked them? Very unusual to knock down the board fence in the middle like that.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

cowgal604
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 204
Joined: Wed May 29, 2019 8:22 pm
Location: Langley, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 56 times

Re: Hallelujah to women in farming

Post by cowgal604 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:16 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:54 pm
WE are powerful!!!
What spooked them? Very unusual to knock down the board fence in the middle like that.
We’ve been having major major coyote issues lately. Maybe that. I’ve got 5 new calves on this field, so mamas have been very fast to react to any non cows in the field.

Or just rotted fencing. We get a ton of rain so wood rots deep in the ground. The post snapped right off. Can be as silly as one scratching their butt or one head butting the other into the fence. But today I put up one heck of a fight haha

User avatar
snoopdog
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1388
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 am
Location: ne oklahoma
Has thanked: 499 times
Been thanked: 211 times

Re: Hallelujah to women in farming

Post by snoopdog » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:12 pm

WOW! You had a day like mine, kudos.
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

User avatar
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4498
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:51 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 288 times
Been thanked: 306 times

Re: Hallelujah to women in farming

Post by JMJ Farms » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:55 pm

tncattle wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:35 pm
I confess I had to google Stiletto Pumps. I don’t know how y’all walk in those things?!
I had to google it to. Not what I’ve always called them. I don’t see how they walk in em neither, but I sure like watching em when they do ;-)
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

User avatar
sstterry
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1462
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am
Location: Bulls Gap, TN
Has thanked: 384 times
Been thanked: 225 times

Re: Hallelujah to women in farming

Post by sstterry » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:09 pm

cowgal604 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:24 pm
Everyone is away and I’m left to man the farm on my own. Woke up to my entire herd (except one) wandering our property after pushing through the fence. They ate an entire months worth of grain (hopefully they are ok), ransacked the barn, flipped over sawdust buckets, burst into the chicken coop, burst a water pipe even ate a whole bin of chicken scratch. I fixed the fence, wrangled up every single cow on foot, repaired the fence, fixed the water pipe and cleaned up this mess. All with a 2 year old by my side. Now off to my day job.
Been there (less the 2 yo and the stilettos). Sometimes life gets really fun!

cowgal604
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 204
Joined: Wed May 29, 2019 8:22 pm
Location: Langley, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 56 times

Re: Hallelujah to women in farming

Post by cowgal604 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:38 pm

sstterry wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:09 pm
cowgal604 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:24 pm
Everyone is away and I’m left to man the farm on my own. Woke up to my entire herd (except one) wandering our property after pushing through the fence. They ate an entire months worth of grain (hopefully they are ok), ransacked the barn, flipped over sawdust buckets, burst into the chicken coop, burst a water pipe even ate a whole bin of chicken scratch. I fixed the fence, wrangled up every single cow on foot, repaired the fence, fixed the water pipe and cleaned up this mess. All with a 2 year old by my side. Now off to my day job.
Been there (less the 2 yo and the stilettos). Sometimes life gets really fun!
The 2 year old is the cherry on top. Makes for a terrible day haha

dave_shelby
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:02 pm
Location: Shenandoah County VA

Re: Hallelujah to women in farming

Post by dave_shelby » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:35 pm

Figured out my city girl wife can do pretty well too. Not sure she appreciates that or not, but I sure do.

cowgal604
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 204
Joined: Wed May 29, 2019 8:22 pm
Location: Langley, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 56 times

Re: Hallelujah to women in farming

Post by cowgal604 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:28 pm

I thought all my cows got away injury free after this crazy day. Then 2 days ago one of my new mamas with a young calf by her side suddenly couldn't walk. Leg was very swollen. Vet came and removed a nail from her foot! Must have been there 2 weeks. Treating her but shes still limping along. Hoping she comes out ok.

User avatar
Little Cow
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 510
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:20 pm
Location: Florida
Has thanked: 88 times
Been thanked: 93 times

Re: Hallelujah to women in farming

Post by Little Cow » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:39 am

We talk about days like this using words like 'terrible' and 'awful'. The cows probably get all misty eyed remembering that time they had a grain party in the barn.
"For many will come in my name, saying, 'I am the Messiah', and they will deceive many".  Matthew, 24:5

cowgal604
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 204
Joined: Wed May 29, 2019 8:22 pm
Location: Langley, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 56 times

Re: Hallelujah to women in farming

Post by cowgal604 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:08 am

Little Cow wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:39 am
We talk about days like this using words like 'terrible' and 'awful'. The cows probably get all misty eyed remembering that time they had a grain party in the barn.
Haha totally. We always joke about what the cows were thinking. My one pet cow was standing at the broken down fence just starring out at all the other ransacking the place. I swear he was saying "shes going to be really upset when she sees y'all out there!"

Post Reply