What kind of issues do you deal with in your area?

The place to start if you are new!
cowgal604
Cowhand
Cowhand

What kind of issues do you deal with in your area?

Post by cowgal604 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:30 pm

Our vet sent us a notice the other day letting us know that many of their clients have been losing large numbers of dairy cattle to hemorrhagic bowel syndrome. They have said it hits suddenly and they are seeing very low success rates with treatment. Only treatment they have found to work is very early intervention and even then, few survive. They have recommended that we keep strict on our vaccine schedule and ensure all are up to date with an 8 way.

That being said we all deal with lots of stuff. And being all over North America/the world on here we all deal with different things due to climate and what not.

What is it that you deal with most in your area?

For us its foot rot. We get a lot of water being in rainy British Columbia Canada. We are always battling off coyotes. Our neighbours seem to deal with pink eye every year. But for us, its always about water. How do we keep everyone dry. How we do we stop the foot rot. How do we keep our calves safe and away from coyotoes.

What's your biggest issues?

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Re: What kind of issues do you deal with in your area?

Post by bird dog » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:52 pm

Low calf prices.

Edit -- and buzzards.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:56 pm

Water
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Post by Ky hills » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:14 pm

All of the above. Wet weather can bring about a lot of issues, on the other hand real dry ain’t so good either. Coyotes and buzzards are the predator concerns. Bouts of respiratory illness and occasional pinkeye have so far been our main issues. I am now becoming more concerned about anaplasmosis, haven’t had it yet, but some friends a little ways north of here have been dealing with it.

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Post by Ebenezer » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:18 pm

No good farm help - Lazy guy - me! Also flies and need to read the tea leaves on time to sell some culls and such. Otherwise just sweating and drinking H2O, tea and coffee.

cowgal604
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by cowgal604 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:43 pm

greybeard wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:56 pm
Water
Too much or not enough? Or both? We have insanely wet seasons and then crazy wild fires due to no rain.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:24 pm

Cowgal, you can find wild cacti if you drive less than 3 hours ;) Average rainfall here is 15 inches a year, I've seen close to that in a day down there!
biggest worry for cattle health here is atypical pneumonia, middle of the summer they can get it, when we first started there were no drugs that did anything at all, now there are a few, baytril, draxxin, resflor are all pretty effective. I have coyotes, mountain lions, bears, and a wolf has even been spotted, but nothing has ever bothered the cows or calves.

One problem we have here is *everything* is 3 hours away minimum.. so when you find a good deal, it's gone by the time you can get there.
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:57 pm

Lepto from hogs along with brucellosis from the beast.

Mexican vultures.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

cowgal604
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by cowgal604 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:11 pm

Nesikep wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:24 pm
Cowgal, you can find wild cacti if you drive less than 3 hours ;) Average rainfall here is 15 inches a year, I've seen close to that in a day down there!
biggest worry for cattle health here is atypical pneumonia, middle of the summer they can get it, when we first started there were no drugs that did anything at all, now there are a few, baytril, draxxin, resflor are all pretty effective. I have coyotes, mountain lions, bears, and a wolf has even been spotted, but nothing has ever bothered the cows or calves.

One problem we have here is *everything* is 3 hours away minimum.. so when you find a good deal, it's gone by the time you can get there.
Have you been affected at all with the recent change with buying medicine for your herd? We can now only get a few things without seeing a vet. I can go and buy some selenium and some other vitamin like things but all drugs, antibiotics and such require a prescription from a vet. We used Resflour off label often, now I have to try and come up with some round about lie to get my hands on it. We actually use it to treat foot rot which is off label.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:25 pm

cowgal604 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:43 pm
greybeard wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:56 pm
Water
Too much or not enough? Or both? We have insanely wet seasons and then crazy wild fires due to no rain.
Too much, except for one year.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

CreekAngus
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by CreekAngus » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:31 pm

Too wet 8 months out of the year and too short of growing season, especially with pasture.
A brand ins’t something you earn, it’s something you live up to - John Dutton

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:01 pm

Other than bears, wolves, grasshoppers, elk, a 200 day feeding season and being a 14 hour truck ride to the feedlots I can't really think of any issues.......
Oh wait, Ministry of Forrest and Range are a pain in the behind, burning permits are getting hard to get, they are trying to force us to license our water, logging activity on our range is depleting AUM's and removing natural barriers, fuel prices are getting carried away, sisal twine is pricing itself out of the market, fencelines are growing over and spray is expensive....
I better stop here before you folks think I'm bytching.

ccr
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by ccr » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:10 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:57 pm

Mexican vultures.
CB, we've been seeing some black headed instead of red headed buzzards around here. Is the mexican vulture giving you trouble look like a red headed turkey vulture (we call them buzzards) with a black head?

Are they killing young calves?
clark cattle ranch
happiness is healthy cattle

ez14.
GURU
GURU

Post by ez14. » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:32 pm

cowgal604 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:11 pm
Nesikep wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:24 pm

Have you been affected at all with the recent change with buying medicine for your herd? We can now only get a few things without seeing a vet. I can go and buy some selenium and some other vitamin like things but all drugs, antibiotics and such require a prescription from a vet. We used Resflour off label often, now I have to try and come up with some round about lie to get my hands on it. We actually use it to treat foot rot which is off label.
I am very fortunate in the fact that the vets at the clinic I use all know me well and like me so I never even have to give a reason for the things I get just say I need it and they get it for me.

Problems with this area? I don't know but I know my problems!

Not enough money.
Not enough land.
Not enough time.
Not enough cattle.
And not good enough working facilities.

Besides that it's all Sun shine and roses! :)

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Post by bird dog » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:34 pm

The black headed buzzards are a nuisance and can be a problem. The Mexican vultures are predators. They are vicious SOB's that go after eyes and the anus. They are wary and attentive and its hard to get close enough to shoot them.

I need a shot gun with a 100 yard range.