Property Markers

The place to start if you are new!
ChrisB
GURU
GURU

Property Markers

Post by ChrisB » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:15 am

I want to build a fence on some property and have a few questions. The legal description is South 1/2 of NW 1/4 of section 30. The property across the road is a full 160 in the legal description and has corner markers in the center of the road on both ends. First question - the new property is listed as 78 acres and not 80, which seems to be common for parcels of land, why is that? The second question - When measuring 1320 feet from each property marker on the road they overlap about 9 feet, why is that? When measuring from the South marker, the line looks to be right on the assumed line (old fence) but when measuring from the North marker the property line is about 9 feet south of the assumed line. Would you feel comfortable building fence in same location as old fence under these circumstances? If I build fence straight neighbor on the North would gain about 25 feet in middle as my field follows the old fence which appears to drift onto his property according to aerial map.

Any ballpark figures on a survey of an 80 acre parcel with a road east and west lines and fields on north and south lines?

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Property Markers

Post by Nesikep » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:26 am

I'd guess the 2 acres is legal right of way for the road or something?
I'd talk to a surveyor about that and get it done right!
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:36 am

For dang sure you don't want to do any fencing according to an aerial map.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Post by callmefence » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:32 pm

If you're not sure you need to hire a survey. Period. No if,ands or buts. What's ok today may not be ok tomorrow. Declared property lines by old fences are only good until someone hires a legal survey. Then they are useless.
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:47 pm

callmefence wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:32 pm
If you're not sure you need to hire a survey. Period. No if,ands or buts. What's ok today may not be ok tomorrow. Declared property lines by old fences are only good until someone hires a legal survey. Then they are useless.
Amen
Fence means nothing only a legal survey counts.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:28 pm

Get a copy of the most recent survey and find the corner markers.
Build the fence in alignment between the corners...straight line unless the description calls out a dogleg.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

cowboy43
GURU
GURU

Post by cowboy43 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:40 pm

Have it surveyed and let the neighbor know what you are doing before building the fence, might stop some court cost later on.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Post by callmefence » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:46 pm

greybeard wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:28 pm
Get a copy of the most recent survey and find the corner markers.
Build the fence in alignment between the corners...straight line unless the description calls out a dogleg.
That's what he's doing Einstein.. and things ain't jiving. Or there's pins missing or moved.
ChrisB wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:15 am
I want to build a fence on some property and have a few questions. The legal description is South 1/2 of NW 1/4 of section 30. The property across the road is a full 160 in the legal description and has corner markers in the center of the road on both ends. First question - the new property is listed as 78 acres and not 80, which seems to be common for parcels of land, why is that? The second question - When measuring 1320 feet from each property marker on the road they overlap about 9 feet, why is that? When measuring from the South marker, the line looks to be right on the assumed line (old fence) but when measuring from the North marker the property line is about 9 feet south of the assumed line. Would you feel comfortable building fence in same location as old fence under these circumstances? If I build fence straight neighbor on the North would gain about 25 feet in middle as my field follows the old fence which appears to drift onto his property according to aerial map.

Any ballpark figures on a survey of an 80 acre parcel with a road east and west lines and fields on north and south lines?
Ballpark on pretty easy country . Reference or bench marks easily found etc.
200.00 to show and 100.00 for every pin you need dropped.
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Post by Brute 23 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:02 pm

Title search and survey before you do any thing.

People screw that kind of stuff up all the time. I cant tell you how many issues come up on some of my family's property. As all the land gets tracked up around us there seems to be more and more errors. I feel bad for them.
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Post by wbvs58 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:48 pm

I spent $3000 on a survey on a block I bought before Xmas and have reclaimed 25 acres along the back boundary of good cleared country. Money well spent. Thank you neighbours for clearing it for me.

Ken

snoopdog
GURU
GURU

Post by snoopdog » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:52 pm

Survey.
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Post by talltimber » Thu May 09, 2019 5:40 am

Chris, how's this situation shaping up? I meant to post a response before and never did. As far as your deeded acreage, did you know that the errors are thrown into the west side of the west sections of a township, which S30 is one.

ChrisB
GURU
GURU

Post by ChrisB » Fri May 10, 2019 11:50 am

talltimber wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 5:40 am
Chris, how's this situation shaping up? I meant to post a response before and never did. As far as your deeded acreage, did you know that the errors are thrown into the west side of the west sections of a township, which S30 is one.
That make sense about the errors being thrown on the west sections.

The fencing project is on hold until crops are planted. But the south line is all staked out and ready. Haven't talked to a surveyor yet, but since we only need the north line it shouldn't cost too much. (I hope.)

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Fri May 10, 2019 8:38 pm

Get a survey. A close friend of mine recently had a problem with a neighbor over a boundary. I have known that property since the 70s' and I knew my guy was in the right. Turns out neighbor moved the markers! The new survey took care of all problems (of course I told the surveyor that might be the case and to check the markers).

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Post by bird dog » Fri May 10, 2019 9:01 pm

A lot of these old surveys are done with a chain and a pin. I know, I did some of them. Modern ones with GPS may come up significantly different. Also some surveyors may interpret the boundaries different then others. Sounds stupid but surveys that go to the center of a creek are sometimes way out of whack because of creek changes or like on my place, the corps of engineers decided that straightening the creek would be a good idea. Some places haven't been surveyed in a hundred years so the surveyor takes what he thinks is right and sets new pins.
Get a survey done and as mentioned, let your neighbor know any problems before you start. You may want to put it in writing if their is a big difference between old and new.