Don’t want a bull, but...

The place to start if you are new!
pdubdo
Cowhand
Cowhand

Don’t want a bull, but...

Post by pdubdo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:39 pm

Got 3 heifers ready to breed. Not liking ai because Don’t live with these cows and don’t think I can sync them, plus 60+% conception...but I’m nervous about owning a bull. Internet makes them sound like they are man-crushing, equipment destroying monsters. And we let both our kids (13&15yrs) and friends kids go alone back in our fields and play/hand-feed the cows. All city-kids (with some common sense) btw. Not planning on retaining future heifer calves. So...1) try and rent a bull for a couple months a year?, or 2) there are such a thing as gentle, non-aggressive bulls. If I look hard I can minimize risk?...appreciate advice!

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Re: Don’t want a bull, but...

Post by TCRanch » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:58 pm

Yes, there are many gentle, non-aggressive bulls! I won't have one that isn't docile. But still never let your guard down. For only 3 heifers I would suggest either renting/leasing or looking into the possibility of boarding your heifers with an operation that does have a bull - contingent on EPD's & providing they have a sound vaccination program. Or back to AI.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Post by Son of Butch » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:23 pm

TCRanch wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:58 pm
Yes, there are many gentle, non-aggressive bulls! I won't have one that isn't docile.
But still never let your guard down.
Which includes no kids/friends hand feeding cows or going into pasture during the 65 days the bull is in the pasture.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:35 pm

Ad when the time comes, don't let the kids/friends in the pasture with the mommas with calves either. They can be as bad or worse than any bull.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:57 pm

greybeard wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:35 pm
Ad when the time comes, don't let the kids/friends in the pasture with the mommas with calves either. They can be as bad or worse than any bull.
+1
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:23 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:57 pm
greybeard wrote:
+1
+2!!

TJSideBiz
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by TJSideBiz » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:42 pm

greybeard wrote:
+3!
We had some guys working on our place a couple years ago. I told them to stay alert in the pasture cause a cow with a calf will freight train you. One guy didn't listen and his co-worker said he never saw someone run so fast as when that cow was chasing him off. haha Silly city boy!
Our cows are real docile but when they have calves I keep a good distance and keep my head on a swivel.

Redgully
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Redgully » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:37 pm

TJSideBiz wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:42 pm
greybeard wrote:
+3!
We had some guys working on our place a couple years ago. I told them to stay alert in the pasture cause a cow with a calf will freight train you. One guy didn't listen and his co-worker said he never saw someone run so fast as when that cow was chasing him off. haha Silly city boy!
Our cows are real docile but when they have calves I keep a good distance and keep my head on a swivel.
+4 for that first week after calving a cow will take it's calf away from you or you away from it's calf.

pdubdo
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by pdubdo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:07 pm

great advice-thanks! Follow up basic question--is it possible to keep a bull with your cattle year-round? I use portable electric fencing but don't really have good subdivided land. I assume weaning times become important because the bull will start back on cows the moment the come back into heat?

Redgully
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Redgully » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:50 pm

You can run a bull with cows year round. In that case you have to wean calves off no longer than six months as the bull will breed the cows back at 30-60 days post calving. The biggest risk in this situation is any heifer calves that may come in heat before they are 6 months will get bred.

5S Cattle
Rancher
Rancher

Post by 5S Cattle » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:15 pm

If you buy a bull for 3 heifers he’ll end up in your neighbors pasture breeding his cows. Don’t be that guy.

DCA farm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by DCA farm » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:25 pm

Heck I borrowed the bull I used this year he was delivered and picked up free all I had to do was feed him. My buddy bought. New farm and didn’t want his young heifers bred so he asked me if I could hold him
Till he got fence up to keep the heifers seperate from
His herd.

JMER1533
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by JMER1533 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:23 pm

Definitely rent. I agree with 5S cattle..put a bull with 3 cows and you’ll be ‘renting’ him to your neighbor for free.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:47 pm

I keep my bull wiht the cows most of the year.. I often have a couple stragglers or steers to keep him company the rest of the time
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Hippie Rancher
GURU
GURU

Post by Hippie Rancher » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:17 pm

no, you don't want a bull for 3 cows. lease or AI and as mentioned, I would be real careful letting non-family kids around ANY livestock. yikes.