Ad blocker detected: Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker on our website.
The place to start if you are new!
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:53 am
had the neighbor's bull get to our 7 month jersey heifer....what to do?
- Posts: 3600
- Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am
- Location: Winfield, KS
- Has thanked: 235 times
- Been thanked: 95 times
Wait a couple weeks & give her a shot of Lutalyse, 5cc IM or Lutalyse Hi-Con, 2cc IM or SQ. Lute is 93% effective if given within 100 days.
- Posts: 678
- Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:05 pm
- Location: Houston, TX
- Been thanked: 1 time
Just to add...must buy lute from a vet.
- Posts: 715
- Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:26 pm
- Location: Near the Mason Dixon line
- Has thanked: 12 times
- Been thanked: 18 times
Yes, Lutalyse is the thing to use.
- Posts: 23655
- Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
- Location: Big Thicket East Texas
- Has thanked: 93 times
- Been thanked: 236 times
Or wait 283 days for the surprise another 205 days to 365 for freezer beef.
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat. Ronald Reagan
- Posts: 11947
- Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:31 pm
- Location: Kentucky
- Has thanked: 26 times
- Been thanked: 41 times
I had a Jersey calve at 12 months old one time. Had it fine. If had I known she was bred in time though, I would have luted her.
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.
- Posts: 1457
- Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:08 am
- Location: BC Peace River country
- Has thanked: 329 times
- Been thanked: 263 times
Had a cow have her second calf yesterday. Cow is 24 months old almost exactly. Don't panic.
- Posts: 2416
- Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:54 pm
- Location: Shenandoah ValleyVirginia
- Has thanked: 134 times
- Been thanked: 46 times
For the sake of the jersey heifer, lute her and don't let her carry a calf at this young age. I wait 30 days after an unplanned breeding because sometimes they don't take anyway. But, the reason to wait is that the system must "know it is pregnant" and then the Lute will cause the CL to "dissolve" and then the cycle will start again. If given too soon, a lute shot will sometimes not do the job. And I always give a 2nd lute shot 2 weeks after the first one.... as a backup. Once in awhile a lute shot will not work.
I have had jerseys calve very young, and do okay. But a 16 month old heifer, is like a 14 yr old human....she might be able to have it but is it really in her best interests? She will be more likely stunted, and if no problems having it, then might not breed back for a long while, because her body reserves are just too used up at that age. And you can run into problems with her having it. Had a neighbor with a 17 month old jersey heifer trying to calve. Angus bull..... but calf died, stuck partway out, hiplocked, and they had to cut it up to get it out and the heifer went down, and they had to shoot her 2 days later.... all because another neighbor said it wouldn't be a big deal. If you can get her in, give her a shot and for a few dollars, prevent a possible disaster down the road. And keep her away from the fence near the bull when she is bulling.