Amazing...

The place to start if you are new!
CCCowman
Cowhand
Cowhand

Amazing...

Post by CCCowman » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:22 am

Cows amaze me sometimes. The past year I have seen:

1. Had a momma cow get shot. She had a 2 month old baby. Before I could figure out what to do with the little one (2-3 days & sold to a friend) all the other mommas took care of him. I'd see one let him steal a little milk. Seemed like each one took their turn nursing him.

2. Had a still born a couple weeks ago. The momma is a good, calm cow. Don't like to be petted but won't run away when I'm around. The day she lost her calf, she was standing at the gate bawling. I went over to see what was the matter. When I entered the pasture, she nudged me to the left. I kept walking and she ran to my left side and nudged me back to the right. She "herded' me to her dead baby. As I knelt down, she would nose it then nose me. She wanted me to help her baby so bad.

3. Wednesday was the coldest day yet here in East Tennessee (with wind chill it was in the -'s). Yep, you guessed it. Had 3 new babies show up. I worried about them all night. Got up early to go check them and I found 12 of my momma's laying in a tight circle. Right in the middle of that circle.... 3 babies!!

I'm sure most of you have seen things like this but I'm just in awe of how they know who to take care of themselves and their young.
Some people are just dumber in the head than a hog is in the butt.

jehosofat
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Amazing...

Post by jehosofat » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:02 am

I've heard folks say cows are dumb, they just haven't spent much time around them.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:14 am

I don’t know about all breeds the Brahman influenced will take care of an orphan. As mentioned above I have seen several take care of an orphan.
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:47 am

They can impress for sure. But just when you start thinking they're smart you see something like this:

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:49 am

Silver wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:47 am
They can impress for sure. But just when you start thinking they're smart you see something like this:
Explain what impaled her!
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:53 am

It's not my picture, but I understand there was a well casing or some sort of steel post sticking up out of the ground out in the middle of a very large open pasture.
I suppose she could have been riding a cow that was in heat and fell off onto it. The point being, cows are capable of almost anything!

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:59 am

Silver wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:53 am
It's not my picture, but I understand there was a well casing or some sort of steel post sticking up out of the ground out in the middle of a very large open pasture.
I suppose she could have been riding a cow that was in heat and fell off onto it. The point being, cows are capable of almost anything!
That makes me want to remove a few T post that I have in for Gate stops. That is ugly.
Diogenes.

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Post by pdfangus » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:46 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:59 am
Silver wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:53 am
That makes me want to remove a few T post that I have in for Gate stops. That is ugly.
i have removed mine after witnessing a near miss one time several years ago...glad I saw it.... cow riding another thru the gate.
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:47 pm

I know exactly what you're talking about. My first preemie was orphaned around 12 weeks. She & her mama were at the barn, the rest of the herd had been at the south pasture the day before. Went down in the morning & saw her mama had passed (hardware) and about a third of the herd was there. Against my better judgment I allowed them to take the calf when they moved back to the pastures. Checked that afternoon and there was the circle, with Pipsqueak in the middle. She remained with the herd, never saw her rob off another cow but they took care of her & I would go out & feed her separately. Side note: Pipsqueak is currently due with her 7th calf.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:48 pm

TCRanch wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:47 pm
I know exactly what you're talking about. My first preemie was orphaned around 12 weeks. She & her mama were at the barn, the rest of the herd had been at the south pasture the day before. Went down in the morning & saw her mama had passed (hardware) and about a third of the herd was there. Against my better judgment I allowed them to take the calf when they moved back to the pastures. Checked that afternoon and there was the circle, with Pipsqueak in the middle. She remained with the herd, never saw her rob off another cow but they took care of her & I would go out & feed her separately. Side note: Pipsqueak is currently due with her 7th calf.
Great story.
Diogenes.

Brookhill Angus
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Brookhill Angus » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:19 pm

jehosofat wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:02 am
I've heard folks say cows are dumb, they just haven't spent much time around them.
Absolutely agree with you!

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Coosh71 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:29 pm

We have all had our moments where we are about explode inside because they won't go thru a 16' gate opening, but then you go check them in the middle of a windy winter day and see them laying down towards the wind and their calves laid out on the warm side. Great stories.

Brookhill Angus
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Brookhill Angus » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:32 pm

We had a 13 year old cow that suffered a bad stifle injury when she was about 8 months pregnant with a SAV Harvestor calf inside, she could barely walk, anyway we fed her right where she was, put down straw every few days, and brought water to her via a water tank in the Gator. She managed to have her calf, a daughter, in the snow, from a late winter/early spring storm last year. The daughter was very nice and she got up and took care of her very well in spite of her injury.

Here is the punchline, there were a few other calves born a short while after that in the same field. She became a quasi Grandma, the other calves loved laying down with her and at one point I saw 2 other calves and her daughter nursing off of her at once! I guess when you can’t move too fast the calves take advantage, she had a big sack.

Moral of the story, she never gave up or quit. It was inspiring to watch her go on even though she had a serious injury. As long as she was taken care of she had no problem doing her job.