Tetanus

The place to start if you are new!
Jthurler
Beginner
Beginner

Tetanus

Post by Jthurler » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:49 pm

Hello everyone I’ve got a few questions about tetanus. Tetanus from what I understand can be in your ground from what I’ve read and I’m assuming it’s also in my barns aswel (I have to confine my herd in the winter due to environmental requirements) so I’m planning on vaccinating my calves. I’m going to be vaccinating my calves with tasvax8. I’m just wondering if I can do my calves at 2 weeks old? when I can do it easy by myself or if it’s better to do them when they are older? Any other advice on tetanus would be helpful or other calfhood vaccines I can give at the same time. I’m new to this site and it’s nice to meet you all, my names Joshua. Thanks

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Re: Tetanus

Post by sstterry » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:01 am

the package insert says
Calves vaccinated under 3 months of age should be revaccinated at 4-6 months of age. Calves vaccinated at 3 months of age or older should be revaccinated 6 weeks later.
My question is why are you using this particular vaccine when it requires boosters every 6 months when other vaccines only recommend a booster annually?

And, welcome to the Board. Lots of great information here and the members all really helpful. :welcome:

Jthurler
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Jthurler » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:49 am

Hello thanks for the welcome and the quick reply! That was the recommended vaccine from my dads vet. I don’t mind giving another booster at six month if it’s a good vaccine. What are the other brands of vaccines that work with tetanus? Thanks. Josh

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:03 am

Jthurler wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:49 am
Hello thanks for the welcome and the quick reply! That was the recommended vaccine from my dads vet. I don’t mind giving another booster at six month if it’s a good vaccine. What are the other brands of vaccines that work with tetanus? Thanks. Josh
Covexin 8 has a tetanus toxoid component I am sure there are a host of others.

ChrisB
GURU
GURU

Post by ChrisB » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:41 am

Are you vaccinating your calves for other things as well? Unless banding older calves, tetanus would be a bit down on the list of things that I would be worried about myself.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Post by wbvs58 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:13 pm

All the vaccines would use basically the same toxoid. The recommendations for 6 monthly would be the particular manufacturer's more conservative recommendation.

Ken

Jthurler
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Jthurler » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:24 pm

I’ll look into coxexin 8 thanks! I’ve been vaccinating the calves with resvax 4 as recommended by my vet but I have a hard time actually speaking too him because of language barriers ( I moved to the French speaking part of Canada ) so I really appreciate the advice I have had a tetanus case on an older banded bull calf here but I also found a 150 pound calf sawhorsed in the pasture after being banded last fall so that’s why I want to find a vaccine that also carries a tetanus toxoid componént so hopefully i can avoid any future problems

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:55 am

Jthurler wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:24 pm
I’ll look into coxexin 8 thanks! I’ve been vaccinating the calves with resvax 4 as recommended by my vet but I have a hard time actually speaking too him because of language barriers ( I moved to the French speaking part of Canada ) so I really appreciate the advice I have had a tetanus case on an older banded bull calf here but I also found a 150 pound calf sawhorsed in the pasture after being banded last fall so that’s why I want to find a vaccine that also carries a tetanus toxoid componént so hopefully i can avoid any future problems
Make sure you follow the package directions because all the Tetanus vaccines are essentially the same. Too many people only give the first dose when they band larger calves and think they are fully protected. Until you give that booster, you are not.