How Masculine Should a Yearling Bull Be

The place to start if you are new!
wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Re: How Masculine Should a Yearling Bull Be

Postby wbvs58 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:13 pm

Here is a 7 mth old SAV Renown calf I will be selling in August as a yearling bull. At the moment he is still on his mother and only had grass, I think most of my bull calves are fairly masculine looking.

Ken
3 x

Allenw
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Allenw » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:00 am

Good looking calf Ken.

The big problem with the catalog pictures is a lot of the bulls have been to the spa and beauty parlor before the shots were taken. A picture taken with out any prep looks more right with the hair laying as it does naturally.
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:41 am

Allenw wrote:Good looking calf Ken.

The big problem with the catalog pictures is a lot of the bulls have been to the spa and beauty parlor before the shots were taken. A picture taken with out any prep looks more right with the hair laying as it does naturally.

I wish I could consistently get good photos, usually average 1 in 10 that I nail. Last year I did not do myself any favours with the photos I took for the catalogue.

Ken
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:26 am

wbvs58 wrote:

I wish I could consistently get good photos, usually average 1 in 10 that I nail. Last year I did not do myself any favours with the photos I took for the catalogue.

Ken

So, Allenw, you think someone should advertise their cattle without prep work? this bull is shaved bald or has totally shed out. What can be better than that?? It allows you to see everything. Besides, if you are putting cattle in a sale, you want to represent the best picture possible and a hairy, dirty animal is NOT the way to do it.
If I see an animal advertised that is NOT clipped and/or clean, then I feel the owner does a shabby job of management on their farm. Presentation is everything.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:37 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
wbvs58 wrote:

Ken

So, Allenw, you think someone should advertise their cattle without prep work? this bull is shaved bald or has totally shed out. What can be better than that?? It allows you to see everything. Besides, if you are putting cattle in a sale, you want to represent the best picture possible and a hairy, dirty animal is NOT the way to do it.
If I see an animal advertised that is NOT clipped and/or clean, then I feel the owner does a shabby job of management on their farm. Presentation is everything.

Clipping and cleaning doesn't help the taste or tenderness of meat. It just seems wrong to have bulls all trimmed looking like poodles. Kinda reminds me of a dog and pony show, playing with your food should be a crime.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:54 am

He is not selling meat. He is not trimmed like a poodle. He is BALD. Ken is selling a breeding bull, and as a buyer, "most" want to SEE what is being offered. Loaded up with piles of sh$t on their legs & bellie, or having winter coats with hair sticking out & going everywhere is NOT very appealing to MOST buyers.
You may be an exception - of course we know that you are!!! LOL
It is rare that a bull (yearling & on up) has enough hair to make them "look" different than what they really are. Yes, show steers are dressed up like poodles, rarely a bull grows any hair for "fitting".
0 x

Allenw
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Allenw » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:24 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
wbvs58 wrote:

Ken

An animals hair coat is an indicator of their condition and how they've been taken care of. I would rather look at an animal in working condition then fitted and trimmed.
1 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:20 pm

There is nothing FITTED about this bull. :shock: He is BALD. If he wasn't in good condition, then guess what - IT WOULD SHOW!!!
He would not be shiney & in good BCS.
LOL Some of you are soooo against showing, you make non-sense statements.
1 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:40 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:There is nothing FITTED about this bull. :shock: He is BALD. If he wasn't in good condition, then guess what - IT WOULD SHOW!!!

You got that right.
1 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:45 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:There is nothing FITTED about this bull. :shock: He is BALD. If he wasn't in good condition, then guess what - IT WOULD SHOW!!!

I don't know who that's directed at? But you can definitely tell a lot about an animal by look at it hair. I trim up every animal I sell and EVERY includes steers. Hairy ears, chin, brisket and belly can make a good animal look crappy.
Jeanne, your right on the showing cattle, I've never been to a cow show in 60 years. And as a matter of fact I've never been to an animal show besides the circus.
1 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:50 pm

Bright Raven wrote:

You got that right.

I was taught animals were food and tools. Does trimming a cows hair make it taste better? I think it's probably like a shiny apple, just wasting time before the grand prize.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:56 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

You got that right.

Does trimming a cows hair make it taste better?

Does gun shows make guns shoot better?
Does knife shows make knives cut better?

Of course not. Jeanne is correct. The anti-show crowd don't always make sense.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:59 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
You got that right.

Does trimming a cows hair make it taste better?

Of course a clean gun shoots better, and a sharp knife cuts better. And a TRIMMED cow doesn't taste better. You can't understand that? Some folks just like fluff, even if it taste like crap.
1 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:11 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Does trimming a cows hair make it taste better?

Of course a clean gun shoots better, and a sharp knife cuts better. And a TRIMMED cow doesn't taste better. You can't understand that? Some folks just like fluff, even if it taste like crap.

Showing cattle is a function that is ancillary to the production of cattle. It has many benefits. It involves youngsters in the farming vocation, provides entertainment, and promotes the industry not to mention it is a business.

Many comments I see on the forum that are anti-show make no sense. I am simply agreeing with Jeanne.

Edited to add. I am not directing this comment at Allenw, I mean it as a general comment.
1 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:22 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

Showing cattle is a function that is ancillary to the production of cattle. It has many benefits. It involves youngsters in the farming vocation, providers entertainment, and promotes the industry not to mention it is a business.

Many comments I see on the forum that are anti-show make no sense. I am simply agreeing with Jeanne.

I agree with all that and I'm not against showing cattle.
1 x

Return to “Beginners Board”