Protein Tubs

The place to start if you are new!
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Re: Protein Tubs

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:18 pm

I understand feeding grain when your quality of hay is poor. Just a few pounds of supplement can make a major difference in the herd.
2 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:11 pm

We do MIG; graze every inch multiple times over during the growing season. There is no stockpiling. Once it's time to pull the cows in for fall breeding and winter feeding... usually commencing about Thanksgiving... there's no grazing. Period. They're in sacrifice paddocks that are essentially a bare dry lot within a week, and we're providing everything... ~25-27# hay and 5# DDG per cow per day.
Load of DDG(27% protein) I bought last week was $150/T... I don't know what y'all are paying for a 'protein tub', but even at that price, I'll bet the DDG is a better buy for me... and I'm pretty sure that if I was just kicking tubs out there, they'd stand there and eat them as long and as fast as I could put 'em out... just 'cause they could.
I'm pretty sure that I couldn't afford to feed the things.
1 x

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:15 pm

Lucky_P wrote:We do MIG; graze every inch multiple times over during the growing season. There is no stockpiling. Once it's time to pull the cows in for fall breeding and winter feeding... usually commencing about Thanksgiving... there's no grazing. Period. They're in sacrifice paddocks that are essentially a bare dry lot within a week, and we're providing everything... ~25-27# hay and 5# DDG per cow per day.
Load of DDG(27% protein) I bought last week was $150/T... I don't know what y'all are paying for a 'protein tub', but even at that price, I'll bet the DDG is a better buy for me... and I'm pretty sure that if I was just kicking tubs out there, they'd stand there and eat them as long and as fast as I could put 'em out... just 'cause they could.

LP are you mixing your grain and hay in a tmr or feeding separate?
0 x

ky colonel
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ky colonel » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:07 pm

thanks for all the info
we feed hay and ground corn. also put out loose mineral. dont have a lot of options local for getting tubs unless you go with a box store.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:24 pm

Lucky_P wrote:We do MIG; graze every inch multiple times over during the growing season. There is no stockpiling. Once it's time to pull the cows in for fall breeding and winter feeding... usually commencing about Thanksgiving... there's no grazing. Period. They're in sacrifice paddocks that are essentially a bare dry lot within a week, and we're providing everything... ~25-27# hay and 5# DDG per cow per day.

At that price DDG will always be the best buy and the best product as well, however, as with most other things nothing works for everyone for one reason or another. Tubs still have a place as will lick tanks, cubes, etc.
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:06 pm

just a few post back I posted the price of a 250 lb. tub 110.00 I thought I would try one because a lot of people I know were feeding them and talked like they were a good deal. Its been out 4 days and they have barley touched it, probably be my last of this brand, I am not real crazy about feeding my cows molasses and ground up chicken feathers. It may not hurt them at all but I don't like it.
The hay an DDG might be a great thing but some of us that have to drive 50 miles to get to the pasture, add that cost and tubs or range meal will be cheaper way to winter them
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:53 pm

midTN,
We feed hay/DDG separately.
In the past, we've done timed limit-feeding... 1.5-2.5 hrs at the hay feeders, then out to grain.
Herd size now necessitates essentially one roll of hay/day/herd. When it's dry and firm, as it has been all but one or two days this winter, we unroll... and have almost zero wastage.
If, however, as we move toward typical mud season, we'll probably move back to timed hay-feeding on the concrete pad when it's too muddy to unroll without too much treading-in or rutting of pasture.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:26 pm

Lucky_P wrote:midTN,
We feed hay/DDG separately.
In the past, we've done timed limit-feeding... 1.5-2.5 hrs at the hay feeders, then out to grain.
Herd size now necessitates essentially one roll of hay/day/herd. When it's dry and firm, as it has been all but one or two days this winter, we unroll... and have almost zero wastage.
If, however, as we move toward typical mud season, we'll probably move back to timed hay-feeding on the concrete pad when it's too muddy to unroll without too much treading-in or rutting of pasture.

How large is that pad if you don't mind me asking?
0 x
It's the ECONOMY stupid!

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:51 pm

with the Good baked ones you won't have that trouble...
1 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

cjmc
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby cjmc » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:09 pm

Positives- they are readily available & are a consistant product (most of the time). They also can come with different levels of energy & minerals. Lots of options to pick from.

Negatives- feeding rate isn't as easily adjusted. And they are expensive.

I start with what the cows need. Then I test the grass/hay. Figure the difference between them, then write down out all the options for bridging the difference in from least expensive to most expensive. Then ask why don't I want to/why won't the least expensive option work. If I can come up with an answer I move next cheapest.
1 x

Allenw
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Allenw » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:08 am

BRYANT wrote:

just a few post back I posted the price of a 250 lb. tub 110.00 I thought I would try one because a lot of people I know were feeding them and talked like they were a good deal. Its been out 4 days and they have barley touched it, probably be my last of this brand, I am not real crazy about feeding my cows molasses and ground up chicken feathers. It may not hurt them at all but I don't like it.
The hay an DDG might be a great thing but some of us that have to drive 50 miles to get to the pasture, add that cost and tubs or range meal will be cheaper way to winter them

I tried a similar tub last year, they never ate enough to do them any good. The tubs it was in were nice and heavy wouldn't mind having on or two more of them.
0 x

SchenkAngusFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SchenkAngusFarm » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:33 am

We use them year around because why not other than price. Our cows don't use them a ton as we have plenty of other sources of good we use but I view it as another tool should they want it.

Also, the deer like them and admittedly I hunt a lot.
0 x

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:06 am

SchenkAngusFarm wrote:We use them year around because why not other than price. Our cows don't use them a ton as we have plenty of other sources of good we use but I view it as another tool should they want it.

Also, the deer like them and admittedly I hunt a lot.

I feed very few tubs , mainly feed range meal. I have put the range meal out where I corn feed deer and have not had any luck getting them to eat it. I was hunting in SE Okla. a few years back and came up on one of them feeders that had range meal in it and there was 5 bucks standing there eating it, but for some reason they wont eat it at my place.
0 x

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:52 pm

I prefer liquid over the tubs. Only place I like the tubs is in my bull and heifer pasture to hard to get the truck in there to fill up a tank when it’s wet.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:41 am

wacocowboy wrote:I prefer liquid over the tubs. Only place I like the tubs is in my bull and heifer pasture to hard to get the truck in there to fill up a tank when it’s wet.

what does it cost per head for liquid
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”