Pain in the A$$ pair

The place to start if you are new!
TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Re: Pain in the A$$ pair

Postby TCRanch » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:25 pm

I just sold a very nice bred almost 3 year old cow, private treaty, because while she raised a very nice calf she was just too skittish and I was always on guard with her. Full disclosure to the buyer. Both calves she raised were heifers and I didn't keep the 1st one, probably won't keep the 2nd I weaned in Oct - just makes me leery of how she may turn out. That said, I had a purebred bull that was dangerously aggressive & sold him after only having him one year. And I kept one of the heifers he sired that to this day is just the sweetest thing. I'm big on EPD docility for my bulls but it seems the maternal docility traits are more dominant. THAT said, I also had a calf named Nacho (not-'cho-mama!) because it was the polar opposite of its high-strung dam (buh-bye!). Bottom line: life is too short to deal with PITA cows/calves and you can't gauge docility or other admirable traits based solely on EPD's or lineage, it's a case-by-case and when in doubt, sell 'em.
1 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:50 pm

I had a cow like that, a number of years ago. She always raised one of the nicest calves each year. But after a while, I didn't care how great her calves were, they weren't nearly enough to offset her PITA factor. She'd run off with all the calves, like yours. I didn't have time to keep fooling with that BS.

Sell her!!!
1 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

SchenkAngusFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SchenkAngusFarm » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:30 am

I'd take her to the sale barn. Problems cows are problem cows. The problems will only get worse and I don't think anyone will want her for their farm imo.
0 x

BRYANT
Rancher
Rancher

Postby BRYANT » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:09 pm

SchenkAngusFarm wrote:I'd take her to the sale barn. Problems cows are problem cows. The problems will only get worse and I don't think anyone will want her for their farm imo.

I might would if she is cheap enough and can wean a big calf with low maintenance. Turn her in a place with good corral and forget about her, mess with her once or twice a year.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:56 pm

Them's the kind you want to shoot or die on their own and consider yourself better off for it.
Wheels!!
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:36 am

Im all about cows protecting their calves and even being a little ornery about their space... but dragging other cattle from the pens is a no-no. She would have be sold around here.
1 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Texas Gal
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Texas Gal » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:43 pm

I'll sell one quicker for that kind of behavior than anything else. I don't have the time or the inclination to deal those kind of cows.
0 x

SchenkAngusFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SchenkAngusFarm » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:38 pm

BRYANT wrote:
SchenkAngusFarm wrote:I'd take her to the sale barn. Problems cows are problem cows. The problems will only get worse and I don't think anyone will want her for their farm imo.

I might would if she is cheap enough and can wean a big calf with low maintenance. Turn her in a place with good corral and forget about her, mess with her once or twice a year.

I hear you. Everyone is different. I guess I just don't have patience for attitudes. I like them to be good mommas but not to the point where it's a problem.

I remember I got rid of my favorite herd sire ever out of Freightliner when he started acting up. I could pet him and then one day he went nuts and broke a gate and some pen fencing. Got rid of him the next day.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:55 pm

We had a cow like that which wouldn;t come up to be worked. Got tired of messing with her. Sadly she raised 1 bull we kept as a herd sire and 1 we sold to a neighbor as a herd sire. The bulls were never an issue cause wherever their girls went they went.
1 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:33 pm

Got few cows are like that.....sold them and my life just got MUCH easier. Smooth work and fast work with the cattle I ever had in the two last years.
1 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:43 pm

I gotta cow kinda like that from the auction, she has warmed a little but her calf never has. He still stays out in the pasture when they come in to feed. She was scared of my ATV for a while, not anymore. But her calf has been trained to be scared of it. Anytime it hears me coming, it bolts for the brush. She will be gone when she breeds back.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

SchenkAngusFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SchenkAngusFarm » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:32 am

I've got one yesterday that I'm now having attitude problems with. She's a great cow phenotypically but she won't go in the chute anymore and she can fit.

I'm going to send her out. Can't deal with it.
0 x

BRYANT
Rancher
Rancher

Postby BRYANT » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:48 am

SchenkAngusFarm wrote:I've got one yesterday that I'm now having attitude problems with. She's a great cow phenotypically but she won't go in the chute anymore and she can fit.

Just takes a little elec. on her back side and she will go in the shoot.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:00 am

BRYANT wrote:
SchenkAngusFarm wrote:I've got one yesterday that I'm now having attitude problems with. She's a great cow phenotypically but she won't go in the chute anymore and she can fit.

Or straight up and over the top.

I'm kinda surprised at how many people say ship her.
0 x

SchenkAngusFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SchenkAngusFarm » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:09 am

BRYANT wrote:

She got a good amount of electric in her backside and she wouldn't go. I ultimately had to back her out. She was not moving.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”