Halter breaking a wild feild steer

The place to start if you are new!
Bikermike
Beginner
Beginner

Halter breaking a wild feild steer

Postby Bikermike » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:31 pm

Ok so I'm new here because I'm having a very hard time breaking a steer for my daughters ffa project. He's buck wild! He's broke out of the homemade chute 4-5 times. He will do fine tied up to a tree but you cannot touch him he will do fine tied up to a tree but you cannot touching past his shoulders. He will try to charge you when you untie him. He's about 650 pounds one years old and I'm using a chain halter I try to tie him up in the afternoons for 3 to 4 hours at a time nothing is seeming to help any advice would be wonderful!!! If something doesn't give soon I will have to sell him at the market and she will not have a project I'm not going to have my daughter get hurt over a stupid steer!!!
0 x

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Halter breaking a wild feild steer

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:49 pm

Bikermike wrote:Ok so I'm new here because I'm having a very hard time breaking a steer for my daughters ffa project. He's buck wild! He's broke out of the homemade chute 4-5 times. He will do fine tied up to a tree but you cannot touch him he will do fine tied up to a tree but you cannot touching past his shoulders. He will try to charge you when you untie him. He's about 650 pounds one years old and I'm using a chain halter I try to tie him up in the afternoons for 3 to 4 hours at a time nothing is seeming to help any advice would be wonderful!!! If something doesn't give soon I will have to sell him at the market and she will not have a project I'm not going to have my daughter get hurt over a stupid steer!!!

Sell him. He could probably be broke by someone with a bit more knowledge/experience and more facilities, but being as it is, I would sell him. Even the best animal is not worth getting yourself or your child busted up for. If you can, get a lamb/pig/goat for this go. The validation/weigh in dates are usually later if you already passed that point with the steer(so a replacement isn't feasible). Next time around, look for steers that are advertised as junior project or first time showman ready. They can still be good enough to compete, but already have the rough edges taken off. :2cents:
4 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Postby Kingfisher » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:39 pm

Yea they are "hard to start" at that age. Get a younger one or a pig.:)
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:58 pm

Tie him to a donkey for a few days..... but who has donkeys?
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:14 am

I agree, that steer is a hazard to you and your kids health, he ain't worth it.. and 650 lbs for a yearling is pretty darned small too... Wish I could say anything else but that's the brutal truth of it.
Depending on where you are you might be able to find a much more docile animal
1 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Ryder
GURU
GURU

Postby Ryder » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:08 am

Get rid of him.
Better that she be hurt by not having an animal to show than get really hurt by trying to train a wild one to show.

Cut your losses. learn from mistakes and do better next time.
1 x
Ryder

Deo Vindice

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:31 am

leave him tied to that tree for 24 hrs. no food or water..he will be broke. seems cruel but I had a crazy heifer once that got a chain hook stuck in her mouth off a trlr safety chain. that crazy cow would chase ya or bolt like lightning. came home one day and she had swallowed it and it got caught behind her back teeth. she had been there at least overnight and maybe longer. the dirt was all tore up but when I found her she was standing there calm as could be. I walked right up..lifted her lips up to see what was holding her and un hooked the hook...she just looked at me and slowly walked away for a drink....she never chased me or ran like a crazy after that....kept her for a long time.
another flighty steer got caught in a head chute one day..idk how...but after I finally let him out...he was docile as a hound dog. he had been there all day as well....
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

Bikermike
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Bikermike » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:07 am

I don't want to give up on him yet. Once I get a new halter (tomorrow I hope ) Ima tie him up again over night. Luckily its cool and he will be in the shade. Maybe I can lead him to water or food. Ima keep working on him for a few more week. After that if he ain't changed to the market he goes.
0 x

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:20 pm

Sell the steer or eat it and go get a goat, lamb, pig, rabbits or chickens, then next year start with a younger more manageable steer or get one that someone has started.
1 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Halter breaking a wild feild stee

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:45 pm

Bikermike wrote:I don't want to give up on him yet. Once I get a new halter (tomorrow I hope ) Ima tie him up again over night. Luckily its cool and he will be in the shade. Maybe I can lead him to water or food. Ima keep working on him for a few more week. After that if he ain't changed to the market he goes.

Keep a eye on him periodically, don't want him to hang his fool self..I've used inner tubes in the past for colts.wrap it around the post, then run the rope through the ends... It gives and takes...learns them that give to pressure..take a herd stick and rub his sides, back and head.. maybe tie a rag on the end of the stick
1 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:07 pm

Son of Butch wrote:Tie him to a donkey for a few days..... but who has donkeys?
. Who indeed..bet I seen 50 today on my way to Amish paradise...one was even spotted...they ugly enough, don't need no chrome :cowboy:
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Mat Man
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Mat Man » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:20 pm

The best we have done is put them in head catch and handle them wash them till they get tired of it than do the same thing the next day.The 1st time they will throw a fit but after they get use to it they are a lot easier to break.
0 x

jkwilson
GURU
GURU

Postby jkwilson » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Sell him now and get it over with before somebody gets hurt. I have 600lb calves who've never had a rope on them that are much calmer than that. You can't teach calm to a crazy animal at that age.
0 x

Bikermike
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Bikermike » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:28 am

I want to say thanks for everyone’s input on this Satan steer. I’ve sold him and found a very calm and gentail replacement.
2 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:12 am

Good choice, I think you'll enjoy working with him a lot more!
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Return to “Beginners Board”