A dreamy fool looking for advice...

The place to start if you are new!
Dave
GURU
GURU

Re: A dreamy fool looking for advice...

Postby Dave » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:07 pm

I have a daughter who decided that she wanted to work on a ranch. So she quit a bank job where they had her on the fast track toward the top and moved to Montana. She hasn't looked back. You won't get rich. But rich is measured in more ways than money. It is easier to find a job in the spring than this time of year. There are jobs to be had. The hours are long. The pay is low. But if it is a life style that you want it is priceless. The Capital Press has help wanted advertisements weekly in Washington, Oregon and other Northwest states.
3 x

ChrisB
GURU
GURU

Postby ChrisB » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:49 am

How about getting on a harvest crew next summer? Start down in Texas and work your way north into fall. In the mean time get a CDL and learn to do some welding. Then after getting some time on equipment getting a job on a farm. While it doesn't sound as romantic as a huge ranch out west, the pay would be much better and would be much easier landing a job. Just something else to consider. Good luck and thanks for your service to our country.
2 x

KentJ
Beginner
Beginner

Postby KentJ » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:10 am

Well thanks for all the replay everyone. Might not have sounded like much, but its given me a better idea as to how to go about the whole thing. Thank you.
1 x

Muletrack
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Muletrack » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:06 pm

Doable. But I don’t think
You need to work on a ranch. Making hay is a kid’s job, not rocket surgery. Learn a marketable skill and find a place in the country where you can keep a few cows. Working a good job, you can buy hay and feed. I sold 200 alfalfa bales this summer to guys doing just that. Opportunities to tend pasture will present themselves. Be patient. Life goes fast. Your uncle will be ready to retire in no time.
0 x

Chocolate Cow
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Chocolate Cow » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:58 pm

I guess if I was wanting to do what you're talking about, I'd head towards a sale barn. They're always looking for help. Once there, you'll eventually meet the local patrons & buyers. Nothing will get you acquainted with cattle faster than a sale barn. :roll: I'll warn you to be as cautious of an employer as they are of you. If you have a good work ethic, pick up on things fast, someone will notice. Local Co-op's seem to always be short of help especially during summer & fall harvests. My opinion is, you'll have to find some sort of job in order to get the job you want. One will lead to the other.
1 x

Highpoint
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Highpoint » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:01 am

I first thank you for your service too. Sounds like you haven't found your call as yet but knowing that is the first step. Some will work a lifetime then look back in regret. I knew my son would never want to set behind a desk. I knew it when he was very young but encouraged him to finish school first and he choose wildlife management. After college there was not one job open in that field and not one branch of service would take him since he had pins in his leg from a football injury so we helped him get into construction and there was not much money in that as well. He stepped out into road construction which does better than room additions and most of his employees are like you, they too love the out doors, hunting and getting together to hunt and sometimes work cattle. In rural areas most would be surprised if you told them you wanted to go help because some have had to work hard outside for years but ask anyway. There is much more to taking care of cattle like building fences, etc and the welding is a must. Their are many construction companies but one that trains is called Kiewit and they have work in almost every state. Men travel with them. I know because we are one of their subs. Sounds like you are very able to learn so get your CDL as well. You won't work another day inside and probably could make enough to start putting back for cattle and a remote ranch. Some here buy the land rent it out to help make payments while they work to pay for the land. And if you learn equipment you could clear land and dig ponds as needed for much less in time. Land here has gone up to $2500 an acre and they figure one head to 10 acres. once you have cattle you will be tied to it as they check them daily plus many other things like learning to handle a horse and having trailer, feeders, etc.

I know it appears things are really bad with our nation right now but I also know there are prayer warriors God has placed across the land and things are mightily going to change for the better. I'm not saying there won't be more problems or more storms but we could have lost our nation if not for God. I believe our nation will come out of debt and our money will be stronger than ever in history. I know the mountains of influence are coming down like media, education, government, arts and entertainment, business,ect but they must in order to come back in a healthy way. The Internet can be used for good or bad and as the truth comes out please do not dwell on the bad. I encourage you to dwell on what you are called to change one soft step at a time and enjoy the journey. I hope too you have wisdom to find the right girl for you in time.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:33 am

first.. i think you should go out and visit some places. Go over to Montana, wyoming, etc. and look at the ranches over there.. swing in and talk to some people. Take a week off work and go explore all over that area.

Pick up "working ranch" magazine. You'll love what you see in this magazine.

Most ranchers would be VERY pleased to have you on and some even offer shares of the ranch / and / or cattle as well as pay. You'l have to try to to negotiate that.

Best bet is to GO there.. TALK to a lot of people / farmers / ranchers. They will tell you where to go or who to see.

YOU WILL find what you're looking for.

Good luck !
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”