Still no hay

The place to start if you are new!
Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Re: Still no hay

Postby Workinonit Farm » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:07 pm

ddd75 wrote:you cut hay and baled it the next day in upstate new york with thick hay?

I'd be checking on it daily if its in a barn..

:nod: :nod: :nod:

Feel them, if they start to feel hot, toss them outside!

You did fine. You started. Learning by the "trial by fire" method, sometimes is best. You had to start sometime. In my (humble) opinion, getting started, having some breakdowns and not having everything go perfectly is OKAY for your 1st time. I'm sure you've learned more this way, than had everything gone right.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:49 pm

Yes, we are def checking it. We didn't stack it and left room between each bale.
To clarify, we didn't bale any the very next day after cutting. What we baled yesterday was cut Friday (a few strips were finished Sat am I think); tedded and raked over the weekend, baled yesterday. It was cloudy yesterday, and we've had heavy dew. One more day would have been perfect. Oh well.
The equipment and its operation is a learning curve, but the biggest challenge has just been (surprise surprise) the weather
1 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:15 pm

If you're worried about them being a touch wet, when i was a boy, the ol timers would stack them on edge (claimed they breathed better) and sprinkled with some loose salt..congrats on your first go round!
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:21 pm

bball wrote:If you're worried about them being a touch wet, when i was a boy, the ol timers would stack them on edge (claimed they breathed better) and sprinkled with some loose salt..congrats on your first go round!

yep.. pour salt all over them. it'll help
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:55 pm

interesting, thanks! We did stack them on edge. Newbie question: cattle salt or table? We have loose minerals but not loose (cow) salt. How much per bale?
0 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:35 pm

Just loose cattle salt.. it was a handful sprinkled over the bale. Nothing real crazy, but I'm sure everyone does it different
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:29 pm

bball wrote:Just loose cattle salt.. it was a handful sprinkled over the bale. Nothing real crazy, but I'm sure everyone does it different

Thanks.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”