Cattle problems.
Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Scored a calf table!!

Post by Ky cowboy » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:26 am

greggy wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:12 pm
FYI for those worried about calves turning...

I have sheep as well, so have small sheep yards as part of cattle yard, young calves work well in this sheep yard, and the race can be used to keep them still when needed.

Even the year olds and older will pass through the sheep yards, not the race of course, but if calm and not under pressure, not a problem.

You could easily add a sheep race to a yard.

Just a thought.
I've been thinking about this also, I wonder if the calf tilt table would work on sheep for hoof trimming. Or the other way around a sheep chute/tilt table work on calves. We've got a few sheep and plan on growing our number as my children get older

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bigfoot » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:21 pm

Ky cowboy wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:26 am
greggy wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:12 pm
FYI for those worried about calves turning...

I have sheep as well, so have small sheep yards as part of cattle yard, young calves work well in this sheep yard, and the race can be used to keep them still when needed.

Even the year olds and older will pass through the sheep yards, not the race of course, but if calm and not under pressure, not a problem.

You could easily add a sheep race to a yard.

Just a thought.
I've been thinking about this also, I wonder if the calf tilt table would work on sheep for hoof trimming. Or the other way around a sheep chute/tilt table work on calves. We've got a few sheep and plan on growing our number as my children get older
Wouldn't work on mine, but I have seen some it would work on.
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

greggy
GURU
GURU

Post by greggy » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:53 pm

Go and look closely at some and the sizes.....

A ram can be quite large and tall, so you would think some brands would be able to do both, but sheep you can put on ground pretty easy and will stay. Large rams are harder, so calf table should accomodate...

May have to weld on some pin lugs.....or run the larger sheep through cattle area...

I have panels in the main yard that will retain everything from young lambs to large cattle....so you can send animal by size to the appropriate working area, I usually do anything with calves in the sheep area, so that is where I would put a calf table if I had one.

It would depend on what you do as to how you set it all up, with temp system and pins you can move and change things as you go...