Cattle problems.
Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Hardjo bovis. - HB

Post by Bright Raven » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:52 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:45 pm
Thank you, so at this point no company can prove they have the vaccine?
I would not say they cannot prove it. I would say based on my conversation with the Zoetis Customer Service Vet that they cannot state it. This is all based on one conversation. So take that into consideration but based on that, the best potential for immunity right now is to use one of the Bovi Shield Gold FP 5 vaccines.

"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:22 am

kenny thomas wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:27 pm
BI stated in a meeting last week that the type prevelent now is the 1B and no company had a vaccine for it including them.
Are you sure they said that? Who was the person giving the presentation? Was it Dr. Steve Falk? I suspect you were not paying close attention. They got approval for on label protection in 2015!

Boehringer Ingelheim has two vaccines specifically labeled for BVDV type 1b.

Pyramid® 5 + Presponse® SQ from BI is now labeled for protection against respiratory disease caused by BVDV Type 1b for at least 217 days.

Express® FP vaccine for cows — labeled to prevent PI calves including BVDV Type 1b for 365 days.

Diogenes.

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:13 am

Below is the announcement of the approval of the Boehringer Ingelheim statement of protection for BVDV type 1b. Note the date - 2015. Kenny you were either not paying attention, sipping moonshine, or the person doing the presentation was actually working for Zoetis and trying to hurt BI's position in the drug industry.

https://www.bi-vetmedica.com/species/ca ... ction.html

PS: just remember, Bovi Shield Gold MLV vaccines for BVD also cover BVDV Type 1b but they have not gotten approval to label as such. In fact, sometimes seeking approval is like this: the juice ain't worth the squeeze!
Diogenes.

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Post by Ky hills » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:45 am

No idea what it covers or don’t but we have been using the Pyramid 5 + presponse vaccine as part of our protocol for the Hereford Influence and CPH sales, we get it through our vet.

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:17 am

Ky hills wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:45 am
No idea what it covers or don’t but we have been using the Pyramid 5 + presponse vaccine as part of our protocol for the Hereford Influence and CPH sales, we get it through our vet.
It's a very good product. Just keep in mind that it does not include a Leptospira component.
Diogenes.

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Post by Ky hills » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:24 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:17 am
Ky hills wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:45 am
It's a very good product. Just keep in mind that it does not include a Leptospira component.
We use the Pyramid 10 for cows

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Post by Ebenezer » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:41 am

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:11 pm

Ebenezer wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:41 am
https://www.jefferspet.com/products/rep ... opping_new

"Safe for all cattle."
Thank you Eb.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:11 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:13 am
Below is the announcement of the approval of the Boehringer Ingelheim statement of protection for BVDV type 1b. Note the date - 2015. Kenny you were either not paying attention, sipping moonshine, or the person doing the presentation was actually working for Zoetis and trying to hurt BI's position in the drug industry.

PS: just remember, Bovi Shield Gold MLV vaccines for BVD also cover BVDV Type 1b but they have not gotten approval to label as such. In fact, sometimes seeking approval is like this: the juice ain't worth the squeeze!
I'm not going to argue with you and make it personal like you have calling me a drunk that wasn't paying attention. The speaker was a vet representative of BI and stated that the BVD 1B was still the problem they were finding and no vaccines were preventing it including theirs. I respect your info but you have made it personal.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:18 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:11 pm
Bright Raven wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:13 am

I'm not going to argue with you and make it personal like you have calling me a drunk that wasn't paying attention. The speaker was a vet representative of BI and stated that the BVD 1B was still the problem they were finding and no vaccines were preventing it including theirs. I respect your info but you have made it personal.
Can you be more clear? First you said and I quote: "... no company had a vaccine for it including them."

Now you say a vet said "the BVD 1B was still the problem..."

Not having a vaccine and having problems with a vaccine are two different issues.

My point is clearly demonstrated - they do have a vaccine for BVD 1B.

I apologize if the comment about you sipping moonshine offended you. It was intended as humor.
Diogenes.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:26 pm

Well let me rephrase it. He stated that no vaccines were taking care of the problem including theirs. So it's the same as having no vaccines for it. I can say I have vaccine for being an idiot but if it doesn't work it's the same as not having one.
I'm seeking a product to take care of an issue that is giving problem in the industry. According to the speaker we have no product yet.
Oh, and at this time KY is the only state that says the animal cannot leave the farm after testing positive for BVD. It must be slaughtered or disposed of properly.

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:36 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:26 pm
Well let me rephrase it. He stated that no vaccines were taking care of the problem including theirs. So it's the same as having no vaccines for it. I can say I have vaccine for being an idiot but if it doesn't work it's the same as not having one.
I'm seeking a product to take care of an issue that is giving problem in the industry. According to the speaker we have no product yet.
Oh, and at this time KY is the only state that says the animal cannot leave the farm after testing positive for BVD. It must be slaughtered or disposed of properly.
Thank you. Testing seropositive for BVD may only mean the animal was vaccinated. When an animal is vaccinated the immune response makes them seropositive for BVD. I don't see how they would enforce that Kenny. Every cow on my farm will test seropositive for BVD. It would take 2 blood tests separated by 2 weeks to determine if the positive test is due to vaccination versus having the clinical disease. I suspect that the animal would have to show clinical signs of disease in addition to testing positive, otherwise, no one could ship vaccinated cows out of state. Or they would have to hold them for 2 weeks to run a PCR.
Diogenes.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:58 pm

I will attempt to get a copy of the presentation. It was stated that KY was being productive and if tested positive they can not leave the farm.

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:02 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:58 pm
I will attempt to get a copy of the presentation. It was stated that KY was being productive and if tested positive they can not leave the farm.
I would like to get a copy. If it is in electronic format, there may be a way to transmit it on the web or by email. Also, BI may be able to send it or they may have a version on their website that can be downloaded. Thanks.
Diogenes.

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:45 am

kenny thomas wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:58 pm
Kenny. This comes from the Kentucky Department of Agriculture. April 5, 2016. Robert C. Stout, State Veterinarian.

The tests for BVD is not for antibodies. The tests are:

* Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR): Not BVD-PI specific Used to test pooled samples to reduce cost of testing.

* Antigen-ELISA: BVD-PI “specific” is a one time test; Used to test individual samples from a PCR positive pool in order to identify individual BVD-PI animal.

There are two clinical conditions involving BVD. One is infected with BVD and the other is BVD-PI. Which is persistently infected and shedding viruses. The tests for the two are different. The PI test uses a wedge of ear tissue. Here is a slide that discusses the BVD-PI test.

Here are the guidelines setup by the office of the State Veterinarian to control BVD and BVD-PI in the State of Kentucky.

This is the Kentucky State Statue used to control the movement of diseased animals.
Diogenes.