Bottle jaw

Cattle problems.
Post Reply
Dabb
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:24 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Bottle jaw

Post by Dabb » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:33 am

I have a 20 month old heifer that is 3 months pregnant. She developed bottle jaw and the vet came out Saturday. She's lost a little weight, but we've been in a drought and I attributed the weight loss to that. No diarrhea, no loss in appetite. Vet wormed her even though fecal came back negative twice. She got a magnet and bolus. Vet did blood work for Johnes. I'm scared to death it's Johnes.



User avatar
TCRanch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4131
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am
Location: Winfield, KS
Has thanked: 738 times
Been thanked: 353 times

Re: Bottle jaw

Post by TCRanch » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:10 am

Welcome to CT!

20 months is pretty young for symptoms of Johnes. The following thread may be of interest. Good call having the vet out & especially the magnet. Did the vet thoroughly inspect her mouth?

http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=120058

Dabb
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:24 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Bottle jaw

Post by Dabb » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:10 pm

Thank you for the welcome! Yes, she did. I'm very fortunate to have an excellent vet. She went from head-to-toe. We've had a drought here in southern Kentucky and I'm wondering if that may have something to do with it. My next question is, how do I supplement her crappy hay we have because of the drought? She does get grain; 3 lbs a day, plus goodies from the garden. There's not much grass, it's just coming back after some rain last week.

User avatar
TCRanch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4131
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am
Location: Winfield, KS
Has thanked: 738 times
Been thanked: 353 times

Re: Bottle jaw

Post by TCRanch » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:35 am

Hopefully someone from KY that's familiar with the forage in your area will chime in. I supplement with 20% protein cubes and 30% tubs.

User avatar
Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10432
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:57 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 808 times
Been thanked: 848 times

Re: Bottle jaw

Post by Bright Raven » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:56 am

Dabb wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:10 pm
Thank you for the welcome! Yes, she did. I'm very fortunate to have an excellent vet. She went from head-to-toe. We've had a drought here in southern Kentucky and I'm wondering if that may have something to do with it. My next question is, how do I supplement her crappy hay we have because of the drought? She does get grain; 3 lbs a day, plus goodies from the garden. There's not much grass, it's just coming back after some rain last week.
Forage varies depending on region and forage management practices. I have better forage than my neighbor does and we share a fenceline. It is also a function of stocking level.

There is a difference between "grain" and "feed". It is a subtle difference but it is a difference. Feed is formulated with other compounds than just grain for example just corn. Feed may contain probiotics and vitamins as part of the total formulation. If your hay is bad, I personally don't like tubs. I would go to a good farm supply and talk to their nutritionist and find a good "feed", not just a grain.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Dabb
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:24 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Bottle jaw

Post by Dabb » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:31 pm

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. She's on feed. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about hay. We are going to lime and fertilize for next year . We had too much broomsage this year and have to eradicate it or try to.

User avatar
ccr
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:49 am
Location: ne texas
Has thanked: 70 times
Been thanked: 77 times

Re: Bottle jaw

Post by ccr » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:03 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:56 am
I would go to a good farm supply and talk to their nutritionist and find a good "feed", not just a grain.
there ain't nothing like that around here. i wished there was a bonafide nutritionist i could talk to when buying feed.

nutrition needs - while it changes depending on weather, condition of pasture, pregnant, lactating, growing heifers, bulls, or raising steers is something i don't have a good handle on. someone on here once said "it ain't rocket science", but still not sure what to feed sometime. but we get by alright i guess.
clark cattle ranch
happiness is healthy cattle

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11049
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Has thanked: 555 times
Been thanked: 793 times

Re: Bottle jaw

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:13 pm

Looking at your cattle's manure is the best way to decide what they need - at least lets you know if they need more or less protein. ALL cattle need a good mineral program & health/vaccination program. After that, it's mostly balancing protein and carbs (meat & potatoes!) - for a very basic feed program.
Really glad you have a good vet to work with you. Stick with it. Hope heifer turns around for you. "Most" vets aren't very good about nutrition, but yours may be able to help you.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

User avatar
Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10432
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:57 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 808 times
Been thanked: 848 times

Re: Bottle jaw

Post by Bright Raven » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:18 pm

ccr wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:03 pm
Bright Raven wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:56 am
I would go to a good farm supply and talk to their nutritionist and find a good "feed", not just a grain.
there ain't nothing like that around here. i wished there was a bonafide nutritionist i could talk to when buying feed.

nutrition needs - while it changes depending on weather, condition of pasture, pregnant, lactating, growing heifers, bulls, or raising steers is something i don't have a good handle on. someone on here once said "it ain't rocket science", but still not sure what to feed sometime. but we get by alright i guess.
Southern States has a very knowledgeable nutritionist. David Gray. He has helped me. Nutrition is not very exciting so it helps me to have someone who can do the heavy lifting.

Cattle nutrition can be tricky if you are not versed in the ingredients. I have learned a lot since I started talking to David Gray.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Dabb
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:24 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Bottle jaw

Post by Dabb » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:54 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:13 pm
Looking at your cattle's manure is the best way to decide what they need - at least lets you know if they need more or less protein. ALL cattle need a good mineral program & health/vaccination program. After that, it's mostly balancing protein and carbs (meat & potatoes!) - for a very basic feed program.
Really glad you have a good vet to work with you. Stick with it. Hope heifer turns around for you. "Most" vets aren't very good about nutrition, but yours may be able to help you.
She's very good. She and her husband raise cattle. Good news! Labs came back negative for Johnes!
Cow seems to be coming around. The swelling from the bottle jaw is almost gone. I called the vet and told her her magic worked, lol.

Post Reply