warning about pore on wormers

Cattle problems.
brimmer X
Cowhand
Cowhand

warning about pore on wormers

Post by brimmer X » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:09 pm

I have not posted on cattle today for some time, but had to share an incident. A friend called me the other day, telling me about an problem he had with a cow. He was worming cows and using pore on wormer. He had done a few when one got stubborn and would not move after being wormed. So, he grabbed the hot shot. Bumped her with it, and She caught on fire! He tried to put her out with his hands and could not, got a towel from the shop and got her extinguished. Minor burns, and the cow is fine, but what an adrenaline rush for the cow and my neighbor.

This was a first for me. It could have gone bad so many ways. Word of warning, do not use a hot shot around alcohol based wormers. When you think you have seen it all with cattle, you probably have not seen anything yet.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Re: warning about pore on wormers

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:29 pm

LOL - had that happen to a friend that was "torching" the hair off sale cattle. They learned the same lesson. but, I never would have thought about a hot shot igniting it.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:39 pm

That is funny but I truly appreciate you sharing that. I use a pour on wormer (Eprinex) and sometimes bump them with a hot shot. However, I use the hotshot only on the way in the chute. My cows sometimes stop to lollygag on the way down the alley.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:47 pm

Yikes! And I'm glad your neighbors cow is okay!

The batteries are dead in my hot shot - how little I use it. Twist that tail! And I'm not above crawling on the railings and essentially riding the cow (or bull) down the alley. If they refuse to leave the chute, simply open the side latch.

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:50 pm

TCRanch wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:47 pm

The batteries are dead in my hot shot - how little I use it. Twist that tail! And I'm not above crawling on the railings and essentially riding the cow (or bull) down the alley. If they refuse to leave the chute, simply open the side latch.
I would rather bump them with a hotshot (you can use weak batteries) than twist tails. A shock does no harm, twisting a tail can.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:09 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:50 pm
TCRanch wrote:

I would rather bump them with a hotshot (you can use weak batteries) than twist tails. A shock does no harm, twisting a tail can.
Betcha that cow that caught on fire would beg to differ! :lol:

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Till-Hill » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:31 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:29 pm
LOL - had that happen to a friend that was "torching" the hair off sale cattle. They learned the same lesson. but, I never would have thought about a hot shot igniting it.
Been there too! Helped couple buddies torch some Angus bulls. Guy that was feeding forgot to tell us he poured them week before. Burnt up a good Carhartt coat that day putting one out!

Little Cow
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Little Cow » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:47 am

Bet she won't want to go in the chute next time around!
"For many will come in my name, saying, 'I am the Messiah', and they will deceive many".  Matthew, 24:5

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:37 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
TCRanch wrote:

Never seen it. You'd have to twist pretty hard to break a tail.

Boot Jack Bulls
GURU
GURU

Post by Boot Jack Bulls » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:43 am

Silver wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:37 pm
Bright Raven wrote:
TCRanch wrote:

There are plenty of lazy show heifers out there with broken tails to prove that it happens fairly easy....
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:00 am

Boot Jack Bulls wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:43 am
Silver wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:37 pm
Bright Raven wrote:

There are plenty of lazy show heifers out there with broken tails to prove that it happens fairly easy....
Many thousands of non-broken tailed cattle in my area that would argue that point :lol:
I've seen a lot of issues due to hotshots, never with tail twisting. I don't allow a hotshot to be used as a matter of course when working cows, if one is used it's because tail twisting and other options have failed.

Boot Jack Bulls
GURU
GURU

Post by Boot Jack Bulls » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:04 am

I too won't use a hot shot. If it is necessary, it also means I am putting them on the trailer for their final ride.
Breaking a tail is very easy to do, I assure you. More than one of our show heifers have been so lazy, that they are even given caffeine paste to perk them up in the ring and had the messed up tails to show it was a valiant, but useless effort lol!

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:27 am

Till-Hill wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:31 am
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:29 pm
Been there too! Helped couple buddies torch some Angus bulls. Guy that was feeding forgot to tell us he poured them week before. Burnt up a good Carhartt coat that day putting one out!
the alcohol would evaporate within the hour of application, the pour-on the previous week had NOTHING to do with that
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:28 am

Boot Jack Bulls wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:04 am
I too won't use a hot shot. If it is necessary, it also means I am putting them on the trailer for their final ride.
Breaking a tail is very easy to do, I assure you. More than one of our show heifers have been so lazy, that they are even given caffeine paste to perk them up in the ring and had the messed up tails to show it was a valiant, but useless effort lol!
How are people twisting tails? are they twisting the end of the tail? (that would be a delicate spot) or the base? I always twist the base of the tail, loop it over their back and twist.. even the laziest cow I have will move long before the tail breaks
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Boot Jack Bulls
GURU
GURU

Post by Boot Jack Bulls » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:50 am

Nesikep wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:28 am
Boot Jack Bulls wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:04 am
How are people twisting tails? are they twisting the end of the tail? (that would be a delicate spot) or the base? I always twist the base of the tail, loop it over their back and twist.. even the laziest cow I have will move long before the tail breaks
No, they don't always move. Trust me. And if they do break, it usually break at the top, not anywhere near the switch. It's not a huge deal if one does break, but it does make drawing blood for preg check less than easy in the future...