Re: Yeast cultures and the benefits

Post by Brookhill Angus » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:58 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:24 am
Dsteim wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:15 am
Brookhill Angus wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:28 pm

The reason I posted this is due to conversations that I have been having with my Vet about fertility issues she is witnessing in the area. I think not getting one's cattle settled quickly is more costly than feeding them, but I do understand where you are coming from.
Fertility has as much to do with the producer as it does the cow. The only way I see to have a truly fertile cow herd is by breeding it. It’s a whole lot harder to cull something for breeding back late when you have a dollar amount attached to it as opposed to something you raised.
I don't want to feed fertility in one..how do you know what you actually have. You might be masking some problem... But The deeper I get in Angus the more fertile they are, early...
I don't see it that way.

I'm doing AI mostly, over 90% at the moment, and I don't want to waste time or resources. If I can have every advantage possible to get those gals pregnant, especially in this heat, I will use it, particularly if I'm using semen that I might not be able to replace or semen that is relatively expensive.

You don't have to give Multimin 90 to get them pregnant, but my vet and my experience have taught me that a shot 20-30 days prior to gives you a better chance.

You don't have to handle the semen precisely, lots of people are sloppy and still get them settled, but a clean and disciplined protocol gives you an edge.

I don't have to use Fertagyl, but my vet told me, that will give you a slight advantage, so I use it, for that slight edge.

I don't have to give them fresh water, they could drink solely from a dirty creek, I heard freshwater gives them an edge.

I don't have to give the grain or mineral that I do, but I have seen improvement over a number of years, so I do it.

They don't need a lot of things and can still get pregnant, especially when using a good bull.

I'm nearly certain that if I suddenly stopped doing everything, put a bull out there, and walked away, I would come back to a lot of calves next year, but that's not the plan. I have a neighbor that literally does the minimum possible with his cattle, yet he still has some calves each year, they are a little worse for the wear, but they are standing up.

What I am doing is no different than a lot of industries or professions where a little edge can mean a lot. Take trucking, you don't need all those wind flap things and wheel coverings and such, but I suppose it gives them an edge over those who don't use them.

Take ranchers that use horses or SUV's. You don't really NEED them, they are a convenience, you could still round up cattle on foot, I've done it, but an ATV or horse makes things a LOT better.

None of the stuff that I mentioned above was done for MANY years out here, more than 40, and cows got settled with a bull no problems at all, but what I'm trying to do in 2019 is taking a bit more effort and attention to detail.

"When someone tells you it can't be done, it's more a reflection of their limitations, not yours"

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:59 pm

Ebenezer wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:23 am
Dairy publications have a bunch of yeast products and info. For example, top end minerals have yeast in them to provide the selenium.
I personally think it's a lot better when it's directly injected.
"When someone tells you it can't be done, it's more a reflection of their limitations, not yours"

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:15 pm

Dsteim wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:30 pm
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:22 pm
Dsteim wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:56 am

How much you have to feed them has more to do with how big of a mature cow you want. What do you mean by angus being more fertile early?
Angus are one of the earliest maturing of the cattle breeds.
Right but most people breed their heifers at 12-14 months. What’s the advantage of having a heifer cycle at 7 months versus 9 or 10 months?
I’m not saying it’s good just stating a fact. Brahman are later to mature. Again, just a fact.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Post by ALACOWMAN » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:41 pm

Dsteim wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Dsteim wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:56 am

How much you have to feed them has more to do with how big of a mature cow you want. What do you mean by angus being more fertile early?
Right but most people breed their heifers at 12-14 months. What’s the advantage of having a heifer cycle at 7 months versus 9 or 10 months?
I looked at my post couple times..never seen where I said that..I breed all mine at 15 months...
as an adult,it's clear to me now...why Ernest T Bass, threw rocks at people..

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Post by Ebenezer » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:45 pm

Brookhill Angus wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:59 pm
Ebenezer wrote:
Dairy publications have a bunch of yeast products and info. For example, top end minerals have yeast in them to provide the selenium.
I thought yeast was in your grain?

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Post by Ebenezer » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:48 pm

What I am doing is no different than a lot of industries or professions where a little edge can mean a lot. Take trucking, you don't need all those wind flap things and wheel coverings and such, but I suppose it gives them an edge over those who don't use them.

Take ranchers that use horses or SUV's. You don't really NEED them, they are a convenience, you could still round up cattle on foot, I've done it, but an ATV or horse makes things a LOT better.
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:00 pm

Ebenezer wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:45 pm
Brookhill Angus wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:59 pm
Ebenezer wrote:
I thought yeast was in your grain?
It is, but you should know by now that I'm an "if a little is good, then a LOT is even better" type. LOL! Ever heard the comment "belt and suspenders"?

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:02 pm

Or hat, gloves, and long sleeved shirt.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:04 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:02 pm
Or hat, gloves, and long sleeved shirt.

Whatever works! LOL! I'm about bringing a tank to a knife fight.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Post by ALACOWMAN » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:24 pm

Brookhill Angus wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:58 pm
ALACOWMAN wrote:
Dsteim wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:15 am

Fertility has as much to do with the producer as it does the cow. The only way I see to have a truly fertile cow herd is by breeding it. It’s a whole lot harder to cull something for breeding back late when you have a dollar amount attached to it as opposed to something you raised.
I don't want to feed fertility in one..how do you know what you actually have. You might be masking some problem... But The deeper I get in Angus the more fertile they are, early...
I don't see it that way.

I'm doing AI mostly, over 90% at the moment, and I don't want to waste time or resources. If I can have every advantage possible to get those gals pregnant, especially in this heat, I will use it, particularly if I'm using semen that I might not be able to replace or semen that is relatively expensive.

You don't have to give Multimin 90 to get them pregnant, but my vet and my experience have taught me that a shot 20-30 days prior to gives you a better chance.

You don't have to handle the semen precisely, lots of people are sloppy and still get them settled, but a clean and disciplined protocol gives you an edge.

I don't have to use Fertagyl, but my vet told me, that will give you a slight advantage, so I use it, for that slight edge.

I don't have to give them fresh water, they could drink solely from a dirty creek, I heard freshwater gives them an edge.

I don't have to give the grain or mineral that I do, but I have seen improvement over a number of years, so I do it.

They don't need a lot of things and can still get pregnant, especially when using a good bull.

I'm nearly certain that if I suddenly stopped doing everything, put a bull out there, and walked away, I would come back to a lot of calves next year, but that's not the plan. I have a neighbor that literally does the minimum possible with his cattle, yet he still has some calves each year, they are a little worse for the wear, but they are standing up.

None of the stuff that I mentioned above was done for MANY years out here, more than 40, and cows got settled with a bull no problems at all, but what I'm trying to do in 2019 is taking a bit more effort and attention to detail.
but I'm betting most of your buyer don't ...me Id want to raise em to fit their management up to the point, they would have too work..no matter what they did..you hear a lot of em say I want to buy from one that pushes em as hard as I do

Dsteim
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Dsteim » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:23 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:41 pm
Dsteim wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:

I looked at my post couple times..never seen where I said that..I breed all mine at 15 months...
I was asking what you meant by saying the deeper you get into angus the more fertile they get early.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Post by ALACOWMAN » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:44 pm

Meant earlier maturing..is one of their strong suits..my crossbreds were..but got nothing on them..

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:07 am

ALACOWMAN wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:24 pm
Brookhill Angus wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:58 pm
ALACOWMAN wrote:

I don't see it that way.

but I'm betting most of your buyer don't ...me Id want to raise em to fit their management up to the point, they would have too work..no matter what they did..you hear a lot of em say I want to buy from one that pushes em as hard as I do
I can put you in touch with some buyers that don’t do anything we do, and they have had plenty of success with our bulls. It would be safe to say they run them pretty hard. Just saying....

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:30 pm

I can put you in touch with some buyers that don’t do anything we do, and they have had plenty of success with our bulls. It would be safe to say they run them pretty hard. Just saying....
Wow this just blows me away. It just does not register with you at all. You are the vendors delight. :clap: :clap:
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

cjmc
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by cjmc » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:04 pm

It's odd that every time a feed company publishes an "informative" article on a new technology/idea they never mention all the instances where it didn't do a dang thing.