Retained Placenta

Cattle problems.
Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Retained Placenta

Post by Bright Raven » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:31 pm

The heifer that aborted 2 months early (see separate thread) has not passed her placenta. I have her in the holding pen near the facility. She aborted on Wednesday.

It is easy to detect a retained placenta. When they are retaining the placenta, it is reflected in their behavior. They hold their tail off the vulva and have a slight hunched look as an expression of discomfort. I was also concerned that there might be a twin. So on Saturaday morning, I put her in the chute. Gloved up and palpated her via vaginal entry. The cervix was still dialated. I was able to confirm no calf but the placenta was attached and present.

After reading several recent publications on retained placenta, current practice is not to try to pull out the placenta. On the uterine wall are the caruncles. That is what holds the placenta to the uterine wall. If they are damaged, they do not recover. Thus, the uterus can be permanently compromised.

Instead, I inserted 3 uterine proteolytic boluses for treatment of retained placenta. It says to repeat in 24 to 48 hours so I inserted 3 more this morning (Sunday). The cervix was not nearly so dialated this morning.

I also gave a shot of Lutalyse. However, according to recent research, the practice of administering Lutalyse or oxytocin has been found to have no effect.

She is eating. At this time there is no sign of toxemia. According to several publications, retained placenta is common in cases of premature partum and/or infectious disease like Brucellosis or leptospirosis.

"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Retained Placenta

Post by True Grit Farms » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:40 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:31 pm
The heifer that aborted 2 months early (see separate thread) has not passed her placenta. I have her in the holding pen near the facility. She aborted on Wednesday.

It is easy to detect a retained placenta. When they are retaining the placenta, it is reflected in their behavior. They hold their tail off the vulva and have a slight hunched look as an expression of discomfort. I was also concerned that there might be a twin. So on Saturaday morning, I put her in the chute. Gloved up and palpated her via vaginal entry. The cervix was still dialated. I was able to confirm no calf but the placenta was attached and present.

After reading several recent publications on retained placenta, current practice is not to try to pull out the placenta. On the uterine wall are the caruncles. That is what holds the placenta to the uterine wall. If they are damaged, they do not recover. Thus, the uterus can be permanently compromised.

Instead, I inserted 3 uterine proteolytic boluses for treatment of retained placenta. It says to repeat in 24 to 48 hours so I inserted 3 more this morning (Sunday). The cervix was not nearly so dialated this morning.

I also gave a shot of Lutalyse. However, according to recent research, the practice of administering Lutalyse or oxytocin has been found to have no effect.

She is eating. At this time there is no sign of toxemia. According to several publications, retained placenta is common in cases of premature partum and/or infectious disease like Brucellosis or leptospirosis.
That's probably it, don't worry she can't pass it on and it's not a heritable trait so she's a keeper.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:44 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:40 pm
Bright Raven wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:31 pm

That's probably it, don't worry she can't pass it on and it's not a heritable trait so she's a keeper.
I would prefer and I think it would be more prudent to perform a blood test to determine if there is an infectious cause. I need to call the vet tomorrow to determine what testing for the likely pathogens involves.
Diogenes.

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Post by Aaron » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:53 pm

Only pertinent question is, what is her temperature? Excenel is labelled for RP/Metritis and very effective. Also very good drug to use is Metricure, which is administered right into uterus. Also like to use Metacam to knock fever and pain.
cor durum laborem

Buck Randall
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Buck Randall » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:01 pm

Aaron wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:53 pm
Only pertinent question is, what is her temperature? Excenel is labelled for RP/Metritis and very effective. Also very good drug to use is Metricure, which is administered right into uterus. Also like to use Metacam to knock fever and pain.
We can't get Metricure or Metacam in the US, unfortunately.

Redgully
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Redgully » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:41 pm

I would just leave her be if you intend on keeping her, it will just break down into a soup and pass. Any treatments ,in my opinion, will just risk making the balance of bacteria out of whack. She will get a bit smelly but once the smell goes you know she has cleaned herself up.

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Post by Aaron » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:43 pm

Buck Randall wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:01 pm
Aaron wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:53 pm
We can't get Metricure or Metacam in the US, unfortunately.
OH? That really surprises me. Usually Canada that is way behind the eight ball in approving new drugs.

Metacam has become a real favorite of mine. So much easier on young calves than Banamine.
cor durum laborem

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Post by wbvs58 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:42 am

That is a big name Ron, proteolytic boluses, I don't know what is in them but sounds nasty. I think your best strategy would be not to interfer. I know you people there get itchy trigger fingers with administering something but I am sure she will deal with it herself. Both of mine that aborted, one at about 6mths from Ephemeral fever (3 day sickness) the other only 1 mth before due gestation had retained membranes for several days but are now squeeky clean. One will be going, the other one I want to maintain that female line but they have until the end of Sept to cycle a few more times and get rid of any more $hit.

Ken

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:54 am

wbvs58 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:42 am
That is a big name Ron, proteolytic boluses, I don't know what is in them but sounds nasty. I think your best strategy would be not to interfer. I know you people there get itchy trigger fingers with administering something but I am sure she will deal with it herself. Both of mine that aborted, one at about 6mths from Ephemeral fever (3 day sickness) the other only 1 mth before due gestation had retained membranes for several days but are now squeeky clean. One will be going, the other one I want to maintain that female line but they have until the end of Sept to cycle a few more times and get rid of any more $hit.

Ken
It is a bolus that promotes the break down of the membranes. The active compound is urea.

Aaron her temperature was just over 102. It has been hot but she does not seem to be overly stressed.

In regard to whether to administer any treatment:

The Merck Manual recommended no treatment as did most of the publications. I have experienced retained placenta previously. My first concern was the existence of a twin. Since I had her in the chute and I had uterine boluses on hand, I decided to treat using them. In two previous cases, I treated with Uterine boluses and both cows recovered, bred back and never missed a cycle.

The following publication was one I thought addressed the subject well:

https://www.tsln.com/news/veterinarians ... ng-uterus/
Diogenes.

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Till-Hill » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:38 am

On the dairy after 3-4 days of not passing cleanings our vet has advised us to give Exceede, Lute, MM90 and repeats I think a week later. I used to keep track of cows that held onto their cleanings and needed treatment. Had very little effect on conception rates if treated properly.

In beef herd tho I usually use LA300, Lute and MM90. Don't have many but when you do have to do something if they are appearing sickly.

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:17 am

Till-Hill wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:38 am
On the dairy after 3-4 days of not passing cleanings our vet has advised us to give Exceede, Lute, MM90 and repeats I think a week later. I used to keep track of cows that held onto their cleanings and needed treatment. Had very little effect on conception rates if treated properly.

In beef herd tho I usually use LA300, Lute and MM90. Don't have many but when you do have to do something if they are appearing sickly.
As she stands now, there are no signs of toxemia from membrane breakdown. Thus, no antibiotic has been administered. From previous experience, exceede is the preferred antibiotic for uterine conditions. I did not consider MM90 but if she shows symptoms, I think that would be a good plan.
Diogenes.

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Till-Hill » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:18 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:17 am
Till-Hill wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:38 am

As she stands now, there are no signs of toxemia from membrane breakdown. Thus, no antibiotic has been administered. From previous experience, exceede is the preferred antibiotic for uterine conditions. I did not consider MM90 but if she shows symptoms, I think that would be a good plan.
Any more if anything needs treatment for anything I give MM90. I think they respond better personally.

JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Post by JW IN VA » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:28 am

I think you are on the right track having her tested for Lepto and "Bangs".Lepto can be treated with antibiotics and vaccinated against,as you probably already know.
A positive for either would be an answer to what happened to the calf and a clue what to do next.If both tests come bak negative,you want to test for Neosporia to rule that out or take care of the problem.
I'd be interested to know what the tests' results are.
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:17 pm

JW IN VA wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:28 am
I think you are on the right track having her tested for Lepto and "Bangs".Lepto can be treated with antibiotics and vaccinated against,as you probably already know.
A positive for either would be an answer to what happened to the calf and a clue what to do next.If both tests come bak negative,you want to test for Neosporia to rule that out or take care of the problem.
I'd be interested to know what the tests' results are.
I called the vets office. I need to go get the test kits. I will post the results.
Diogenes.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:26 pm

Just keep an eye on her appetite and temp, as long as she's eating well I wouldn't bother doing much, LA200 or draxxin or whatever if she spikes a fever though
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens