Help Pinkeye

Cattle problems.
pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Help Pinkeye

Post by pricefarm » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:03 pm

I have never had pinkeye so bad in my life. It’s all at one farm I have there’s 18 cows with 10 calves. All the calves have had it and around 4 cows so far. Iam going broke on treating them. Been using Draxxen. It works well and they are healing up fast but at the rate Iam going the whole heard will have it by the end of the week. Any suggestions??

ez14.
GURU
GURU

Re: Help Pinkeye

Post by ez14. » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:13 pm

We always used a shot of spectramast under the infected eyelids. One tube should treat several eyes

Hook2.0
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Hook2.0 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:14 pm

Theres a pinkeye vaccine now. Not sure how effective it is.
Flies?
Proud to be a multiplier

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:25 pm

I've honestly only had a couple cases of true Pinkeye and LA300 was sufficient plus I sprayed with Vetericyn, did not use a patch & did not have to re-treat. But I also caught it early & it was a one-n-done. If anything's gonna cure it, Draxxin will but yes, definitely pricey! I vaccinate every year with an autogenous pinkeye vaccine. It's a custom blend that protects against both Moxarella bovis and Moxarella Bovoculi. I get it through my vet but I believe you can now get it through either the manufacture or online with a RX.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:26 pm

With an epidemic, draxxin does get expensive. Oxytetracycline is an antibiotic that also treats pinkeye which is bacterial. LA 300 is a bland of oxytetracycline.

There are vaccines but Moraxella which is the genus of bacteria that causes most pinkeye comes in several strains. Since most commercial vaccines are limited to only a couple strains, a local autogenous vaccine which includes the strains in your area is much more effective. Check with a local big animal vet to see if an autogenous vaccine is available.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Post by Son of Butch » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:26 pm

Have never used Draxxen for Pink Eye... vet's idea or yours?
We've treated by squirting penicillin under eyelid, works if you get 'em early, not so much if eye has
large white spot. Oxy-tet 2 shots (2-3 days apart) if white spot... the earlier the better.

Prevention works best, cutting thistles or other weeds that can scratch eyes, which might be the cause if only in 1 pasture, fly tags and of course there are vaccines.

snoopdog
GURU
GURU

Post by snoopdog » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:35 pm

I would get everything up, and flytag, and vax with la 300 , if you can, lord knows that aint easy. Drax is expensive, at the front, but may also be cheaper in the end.
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Post by pricefarm » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:57 pm

Flys are pretty bad been spraying them every couple days and have a rub up that they have to go under to get to water.
Yes my vet suggested Drax. I’ll check tomorrow and see about getting la 300 it would have to be cheaper than Drax.
Do y’all use two fly tags one in each ear ? What kind would be best I have never used them.
Once they get pinkeye will they get it again this season ? Just wondering if this will end.
Went back up this evening and my bull has a watering eye and another cow.
These cows are at a rented pasture I have a pretty good working area but after a few days of getting them up and sorting there getting pretty smart about not wanting to come in the lot. I have had to dart a few of the calves that I couldn’t get in.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:02 pm

pricefarm wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:57 pm
Flys are pretty bad been spraying them every couple days and have a rub up that they have to go under to get to water.
Yes my vet suggested Drax. I’ll check tomorrow and see about getting la 300 it would have to be cheaper than Drax.
Do y’all use two fly tags one in each ear ? What kind would be best I have never used them.
Once they get pinkeye will they get it again this season ? Just wondering if this will end.
Went back up this evening and my bull has a watering eye and another cow.
These cows are at a rented pasture I have a pretty good working area but after a few days of getting them up and sorting there getting pretty smart about not wanting to come in the lot. I have had to dart a few of the calves that I couldn’t get in.
Studies suggest flies are not as big a factor as scratches. There is a study where swabs where collected from several herds. Almost all cows had Moraxella bovoculi and bovis. So the bacteria is ubiquitous. What many believe triggers it, is a scratch.

In my experience, if they get pinkeye, it does not reoccur for a while.
Diogenes.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:30 pm

pricefarm wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:03 pm
I have never had pinkeye so bad in my life. It’s all at one farm I have there’s 18 cows with 10 calves. All the calves have had it and around 4 cows so far. Iam going broke on treating them. Been using Draxxen. It works well and they are healing up fast but at the rate Iam going the whole heard will have it by the end of the week. Any suggestions??
A little late now but have you clipped pastures yet. I think the big grass this year from the rain will irritate their eyes.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU

Post by Red Bull Breeder » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:42 pm

I think that clipped pastures are worse about scratching there eyes that taller grass. Mine won't graze fresh clipped pastures if they have a chance to graze else where.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:49 pm

Red Bull Breeder wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:42 pm
I think thaat clipped pastures are worse about scratching there eyes that taller grass. Mine won't graze fresh clipped pastures if they have a chance to graze else where.
You could be correct but mine have little choice. Way too much grass this year and I'm almost done clipping.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

bball
GURU
GURU

Post by bball » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:08 pm

Injection of dex and penicillin into bulbar conjunctiva. Used 1 ml of dex and 2 ml of PEN. Also, iodine is important for dietary consumption to help battle the bacteria. Iodine present in tears helps to kill the bacteria allegedly. We battled pinkeye all summer last year. Could not get ahead of it. No autogenous vaccine was available. Clipped pastures, etc. No avail. UV, flys, wind, dust, sand, tall coarse grass and seed heads all help to injure the eye and create an avenue for the bacteria to do damage. Best of luck. It really, really sucks too! Not just because of all the extra work, but it's negative impacts on breed back and weaning weights.
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop

Buck Randall
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Buck Randall » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:53 pm

Check with your veterinarian before switching to the LA 300. Some strains of pinkeye are resistant to it, and it's possible they've already tried it with other farms in your area. No need to try and reinvent the wheel.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:31 am

Here is an excellent article on pinkeye. It is dated 2009 and applies to pinkeye in Virginia which is where you are. Note Moraxella bovis is found in the normal eye of most cattle. Dust, hot weather, seed heads, or a scratch trigger it. The tetracyclines (LA 200 is an example) are recommended for treatment in all stages. It is a 10 year old article so resistance is an issue.

NOTE: many of the pinkeye sprays are a waste of money. Lucky_P has confirmed that in previous posts. For example, the pinkeye spray vetericyn active ingredient is Hypochlorous Acid, which is not an antibiotic. If you want to wash the eye when you are administering an antibiotic, get a spray bottle at Walmart and make a mild solution of bicarbonate of soda (baking powder). Works well and refreshes the eye.
https://www.pubs.ext.vt.edu/400/400-750/400-750.html
Diogenes.