Cattle problems.
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Flies flies flies

Post by greybeard » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:24 am

elkwc wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:58 am
To make it last longer use PB-08. It is the synergist in Ultra Boss & Ultra Saber.
Thanks. Had to look it up to find out exactly what it was and how to mix it.
https://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/SP ... 0Label.pdf
I saw where it is approved for use on livestock, but didn't see a table for tank mixing instructions for direct application to livestock.
For instance...How much PB-08 would you mix in a 4 gal backpack sprayer?

"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Post by elkwc » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:38 am

greybeard wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:24 am
elkwc wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:58 am
To make it last longer use PB-08. It is the synergist in Ultra Boss & Ultra Saber.
Thanks. Had to look it up to find out exactly what it was and how to mix it.
https://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/SPEC/LABELS/PBO-

8%20Synergist%20Specimen%20Label.pd

The recipe I use came from a poster on this forum. It says 8 oz of PB-08 to 119 oz of corn oil. So I use around 8 oz per gallon and it works well

Last edited by elkwc on Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:55 am

Thanks! That's an odd mix rate..1 oz short of a full gallon...wonder why he didn't say 120 oz. (rhetorical question.. )
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

T & B farms
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by T & B farms » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:57 pm

Where could a guy find bulk corn oil? No issues with it clogging up the sprayer?

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:22 am

T & B farms wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:57 pm
Where could a guy find bulk corn oil? No issues with it clogging up the sprayer?
I use the corn oil, pbo8 and either permithion or lambda Cy mix for a pour on fly control. Never tried spraying it but my guess is you'd have to cut it with diesel fuel.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Patton
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Patton » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:36 pm

The last few years flies where bad for me too and I was determined to make a dent in them this year. So far this year I would say I have reduced the fly population by 75%. In the early spring I put out tubs with IGR, these seem to only work for awhile. I then started spraying with permethrine and pro late using water and a bit of mineral oil usually every 3 to 4 weeks. I rotated the chemicals using permethrine one treatment then pro late the next. I will also be rotating the cows to different pastures several times over the growing season spraying them before the move so they are going to a clean pasture and not bringing flies with them. The cows seem to be a lot more comfortable this year.

NEFarmwife
GURU
GURU

Post by NEFarmwife » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:33 pm

Trying everything here. With the flooding, we are seeing a big increase in every bug. June bugs were awful.

I hate even taking pics of the cow/calf’s because of the flies. We are going all in on an attack this weekend. I messaged my nutritionist about garlic. They aren’t there yet.
https://doddscattle.com/
Dodds Cattle

simmrock
Beginner
Beginner

Post by simmrock » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:47 pm

I haven't used it, but I have heard from several individuals that the Long Range inject-able is excellent fly control. It isn't labeled as such or developed for that, but it seems to work extremely well. One guy said the flies would hover over the cows and never land on them. It is pretty pricey, but if it works well it might be cheaper to treat effectively once than over and over with sprays.

jschoolcraft86
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by jschoolcraft86 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:59 pm

I use Long Range and I'm not ready to sign off on the hovering vs. landing claim. I can't say that it is wrong, but my animals do have flies landing. I am a fan of what it does for the animals regardless of fly control though, and for all I know it may be putting a dent in the flies I just can't swear to it. I am gonna continue using Long Range as a dewormer but I am also going to continue spraying.

One thing that has got me interested is the VitaFerm HEAT minerals. There has been some talk about the garlic in it helping keep flies off, I'll be putting that to the test as soon as I find a place that sells it for something reasonable. The feed store I get my mineral from has it for almost 3x the price of the other VitaFerm products I use.

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:01 pm

jschoolcraft86 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:59 pm
I use Long Range and I'm not ready to sign off on the hovering vs. landing claim. I can't say that it is wrong, but my animals do have flies landing. I am a fan of what it does for the animals regardless of fly control though, and for all I know it may be putting a dent in the flies I just can't swear to it. I am gonna continue using Long Range as a dewormer but I am also going to continue spraying.

One thing that has got me interested is the VitaFerm HEAT minerals. There has been some talk about the garlic in it helping keep flies off, I'll be putting that to the test as soon as I find a place that sells it for something reasonable. The feed store I get my mineral from has it for almost 3x the price of the other VitaFerm products I use.
Save your money on the Vitaferm and get this instead. Use it 4-5 times per season, and your life will be far easier, not to mention your cattle's lives.

"When someone tells you it can't be done, it's more a reflection of their limitations, not yours"

jschoolcraft86
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by jschoolcraft86 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:13 pm

I've been wondering about those and how effective they are. They sure look like more fun than what I've been doing.

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:19 pm

jschoolcraft86 wrote:

VitaFerm heat is ideal for a summer mineral but it will not have a significant effect in reducing fly numbers based on my experience.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:22 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:19 pm
jschoolcraft86 wrote:

VitaFerm heat is ideal for a summer mineral but it will not have a significant effect in reducing fly numbers based on my experience.
I second that, and I used it three years in a row, kept the feeders full the whole time.
"When someone tells you it can't be done, it's more a reflection of their limitations, not yours"

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:24 pm

jschoolcraft86 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:13 pm
I've been wondering about those and how effective they are. They sure look like more fun than what I've been doing.
Don't use it if rain is forecasted minutes later, but instead get a decent window where you think it won't rain for 3-5 days and treat them. The flies are gone in minutes. I shoot our bulls twice with them, one on each side, and they look spotless in 15 minutes, and that's saying something for bulls which seem to have a lot more flies than the females.

bball
GURU
GURU

Post by bball » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:25 pm

simmrock wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:47 pm
I haven't used it, but I have heard from several individuals that the Long Range inject-able is excellent fly control. It isn't labeled as such or developed for that, but it seems to work extremely well. One guy said the flies would hover over the cows and never land on them. It is pretty pricey, but if it works well it might be cheaper to treat effectively once than over and over with sprays.
Not seeing it this year. Long ranged the calfs earlier this year. Poured them again with ultra boss 2 weeks ago gecause the flies were getting nasty
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop
Exercising compassion provides the most linear and fulfilling state of happiness.