Don't cuss the cold or rain.

Cattle problems.
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Don't cuss the cold or rain.

Post by True Grit Farms » Sat May 25, 2019 3:30 pm

I'd love to trade some sunshine for rain. We're unbelievably dry and it's getting worse by the minute with this heat.

If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Don't cuss the cold or rain.

Post by Nesikep » Sat May 25, 2019 3:37 pm

We were super dry here until this last week, no rain since the frost came out of the ground, probably had a couple inches (a lot for us).. poured this morning.. I'm very happy about it.
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

T & B farms
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by T & B farms » Sat May 25, 2019 4:49 pm

Sure wish we could give you some. We have had around 14” in the last week. Right now we have close to 600 acres of corn underwater. Perfect year for the river bottoms to be corn.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Sat May 25, 2019 4:54 pm

T & B farms wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 4:49 pm
Sure wish we could give you some. We have had around 14” in the last week. Right now we have close to 600 acres of corn underwater. Perfect year for the river bottoms to be corn.
Your 14" is a few more inches than we've got so far in 2019. Scary thing is were just coming up on our dry season.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

T & B farms
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by T & B farms » Sat May 25, 2019 5:18 pm

That’s how we were last year. Extremely dry and hot all spring/ summer. Now, it hasn’t stopped raining since September. Nothing like mudding out our crappy crops that the drought burned up.
I hope things start to straiten out. I don’t drink, but another year like the last and I may start.

Little Cow
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Little Cow » Sat May 25, 2019 6:58 pm

Oh yes. It's hotter than a goat's butt in a pepper patch down here.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by JMJ Farms » Sat May 25, 2019 8:18 pm

That’s two things I don’t do. Ever. I will take cold and wet over what we’re having. I’m feeding hay and range cubes. If it weren’t for the branches I have it would be even worse. I got a piece of a cutting of hay baled about a month ago. I’ve got about 160 rolls on hand. That might get me through the summer at the rate we’re going. I will do whatever I have to do within reason, but another month of this and a lot of folks will send em to town. We are literally burning up with no rain even mentioned in the long term forecast. This too shall pass.
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Sat May 25, 2019 8:40 pm

FL has stopped issuing burn authorizations in Bay, Gulf, Calhoun, and Jackson counties. Lots of areas under burn ban.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Sat May 25, 2019 8:56 pm

When you live in a 10 inch annual rainfall area like I do you never cuss the rain. We have had nearly 2.5 inches in the last 10 days. I wondered a couple of times why I am irrigating but I never turned the water off. The range land pastures really shot up. Timely rain is more important than total rain.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by JMJ Farms » Sat May 25, 2019 9:13 pm

Dave wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 8:56 pm
When you live in a 10 inch annual rainfall area like I do you never cuss the rain. We have had nearly 2.5 inches in the last 10 days. I wondered a couple of times why I am irrigating but I never turned the water off. The range land pastures really shot up. Timely rain is more important than total rain.
Dave, do y’all have high temps for months on end? Not being a smartazz. Just trying to understand. I mean I know other places get hot and dry. But another month of what we are having and 50 acres to the cow wouldn’t be enough. It’s literally dying here. And not yet, but after enough time it’s just dirt. I’ve seen a little bit of Texas in hard times but I’m unfamiliar with your part of the world.
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

Little Cow
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Little Cow » Sun May 26, 2019 6:34 am

Burn ban near Georgia border in Nassau county, too. Yellow Bluff fire.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Sun May 26, 2019 8:08 am

JMJ Farms wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 9:13 pm
Dave wrote:
Dave, do y’all have high temps for months on end? Not being a smartazz. Just trying to understand. I mean I know other places get hot and dry. But another month of what we are having and 50 acres to the cow wouldn’t be enough. It’s literally dying here. And not yet, but after enough time it’s just dirt. I’ve seen a little bit of Texas in hard times but I’m unfamiliar with your part of the world.
We certainly don't get as hot or humid as you do in your area. But we do get dry and stay dry. Not unusual to have no rain at all from June until October. Like I said we average about 10 inch a year. And most of that comes in the winter in the form of snow. That 2.5 inches we had in the last 10 days is really a blessing. Down in the valley we have irrigation and grow a ton of grass. But the up hill side of the irrigation ditch and things get pretty bare. The BLM permit on my west side is about 50 acres per cow with a turn out from April 15 to July 15 and them again September 15 to October 31.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by JMJ Farms » Sun May 26, 2019 11:57 am

Dave wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:08 am
JMJ Farms wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 9:13 pm
Dave wrote:
We certainly don't get as hot or humid as you do in your area. But we do get dry and stay dry. Not unusual to have no rain at all from June until October. Like I said we average about 10 inch a year. And most of that comes in the winter in the form of snow. That 2.5 inches we had in the last 10 days is really a blessing. Down in the valley we have irrigation and grow a ton of grass. But the up hill side of the irrigation ditch and things get pretty bare. The BLM permit on my west side is about 50 acres per cow with a turn out from April 15 to July 15 and them again September 15 to October 31.
I guess like you say that the irrigation of the valley helps tremendously. It’s getting to the point where, if you’re gonna survive here, you need irrigation. Regardless of the crop. The last several years we have skipped spring and went straight to summer. Two weeks of spring and that’s all we seem to get. And fall is usually so dry that we can’t get winter grazing planted in time for it to get a foot hold before winter. I don’t like to complain. I prefer to be optimistic. But I think I’m gonna get to the point where I can irrigate or I’m gonna quit. I can’t feed them 12 months out of the year. It won’t be this year. I’m gonna fight through this one. But I’m not sure how many more fights I’m willing to fight. I guess time will tell.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Sun May 26, 2019 12:06 pm

Nowhere is ever more than 2 weeks away from drought.......
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Little Cow
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Little Cow » Sun May 26, 2019 1:39 pm

I've never heard a farmer pleased with the weather.