Calf Catch

Cattle problems.
TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Calf Catch

Post by TCRanch » Tue May 14, 2019 9:13 am

Seriously one of the best investments I've made. Says it can be used to catch calves up to 250 lbs. but the hook is pliable enough I bent it out/made it larger & easily fits around the hock of 350 lb. steer. Pole extends up to 10 ft.

Had a sick calf yesterday & I was able to snag & hold him long enough for Hubby to get a rope around him. Well, he pulled me a good 12 ft. but also outweighs me by 200+ lbs. Once the rope was on I could get him down, switch to a halter, shots, drench, Pro Bios, one 'n done, huge improvement already.

Highly recommended if you don't always have access to pens/corral/chute and especially if they're out to pasture.

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.htm ... gJU8vD_BwE

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Re: Calf Catch

Post by backhoeboogie » Tue May 14, 2019 10:33 am

They work great. Mine is home made and has rubber tubing around the hook. It is great for calves. Its never been used on anything as big as you describe.
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

76 Bar
Rancher
Rancher

Post by 76 Bar » Tue May 14, 2019 12:06 pm

Sheppard's crook for calves!
the hook is pliable enough I bent it out/made it larger & easily fits around the hock of 350 lb.
Always thought the hook was a bit small...what technique did you use to enlarge it without damaging it?
rubber tubing around the hook.
Great idea! Thanks.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by JMJ Farms » Tue May 14, 2019 3:17 pm

Been using one for years. Don’t know how I ever got by without it. Guess I was faster! Use it to catch all my newborns to tag, band, etc. And have caught several in the 250 range. That’s pushing it though. Mines all bent up now but it still works.
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Tue May 14, 2019 4:57 pm

I just put the hook in one of the utility holes in my Polaris & bent it with my brute strength. ;-)

Love the idea of rubber tubing around the hook. Plus it would help grip the leg. Thanks for the tip!

Couple years ago I had a calf that was around 300 lbs with pneumonia. Hubby was laid up after surgery so my best friend came over to help me catch/work the calf. I snagged him on the 1st try but he drug me into the creek. I refused to let go! BFF was on it & jumped in the creek with the rope. That's when it got ugly: think female mud wrestling but with a calf (and no bikinis). We eventually got him roped/doctored but yeah, mine's pretty bent up after that.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Post by wbvs58 » Tue May 14, 2019 7:03 pm

TCRanch wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 4:57 pm
I just put the hook in one of the utility holes in my Polaris & bent it with my brute strength. ;-)

Love the idea of rubber tubing around the hook. Plus it would help grip the leg. Thanks for the tip!

Couple years ago I had a calf that was around 300 lbs with pneumonia. Hubby was laid up after surgery so my best friend came over to help me catch/work the calf. I snagged him on the 1st try but he drug me into the creek. I refused to let go! BFF was on it & jumped in the creek with the rope. That's when it got ugly: think female mud wrestling but with a calf (and no bikinis). We eventually got him roped/doctored but yeah, mine's pretty bent up after that.
Yeh TC, naked female mud wrestling is my favourite.

Ken

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Post by gcreekrch » Tue May 14, 2019 9:41 pm

Had one of the extendable ones, the hook wasn't as tough as an aggressive cow. Have a couple here homemade out of 1/2" aluminum rod. They are about 7 feet long and light enough to handle on the quad.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Wed May 15, 2019 7:21 am

wbvs58 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:03 pm
TCRanch wrote:

Ken
You would have been disappointed; fully clothed including work boots & baseball hats that ended up somewhere downstream.

T & B farms
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by T & B farms » Wed May 15, 2019 11:30 am

I have several of them and think they are some of the best money I ever spent.
Tell me I’m not the only one that breaks at least one a year, Sometimes two. I’ve yet to have the one I started the season with, finish the season. I make sure to always have a spare pole on hand.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by JMJ Farms » Wed May 15, 2019 5:04 pm

TCRanch wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:21 am
wbvs58 wrote:
TCRanch wrote:
That's when it got ugly: think female mud wrestling but with a calf (and no bikinis). We eventually got him roped/doctored but yeah, mine's pretty bent up after that.

Ken
You would have been disappointed; fully clothed including work boots & baseball hats that ended up somewhere downstream.
Sometimes one has to settle for the best available at the time. I’d have still liked to see a video of that. I bet that was quality entertainment!
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Wed May 15, 2019 5:25 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 5:04 pm
TCRanch wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:21 am
wbvs58 wrote:

Ken
Sometimes one has to settle for the best available at the time. I’d have still liked to see a video of that. I bet that was quality entertainment!
:lol: :lol: "Quality" or "cheap"? Both are subjective.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Wed May 15, 2019 5:34 pm

T & B farms wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:30 am
I have several of them and think they are some of the best money I ever spent.
Tell me I’m not the only one that breaks at least one a year, Sometimes two. I’ve yet to have the one I started the season with, finish the season. I make sure to always have a spare pole on hand.
Ummm, you may be the only one. :lol2: ;-) Mine's pretty beat up but still the original. That said, I don't use it to tag/work newborns.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by JMJ Farms » Wed May 15, 2019 5:40 pm

TCRanch wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 5:25 pm
JMJ Farms wrote:
This is true! I thing this would have satisfied both parameters!
You missed a chance to potentially make more cash than your entire calf crop will yield. Imagine a flyer that read.....
Come one, Come all. Cowgirls mud wrestling with Calves. Cheap, quality entertainment only $20! Limited number of tickets. Get yours today!

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Wed May 15, 2019 6:01 pm

My calf catch is 40 feet long and is coiled up until needed. I don't understand hooking a back leg and getting drug around waiting for someone to put a rope on a calf. Why not start with the rope? I do know it is a lot easier to hold one with a rope around the neck than it is to hold one by a single hind foot.
Neighbor B (calves out about 900) has an old beater 4x4 Jeep Cherokee that is his calf patrol machine. I notice he has one of those hooks bungied to the roof rack. But anything much bigger than a new born gets roped.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Wed May 15, 2019 6:02 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 5:40 pm
TCRanch wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 5:25 pm
JMJ Farms wrote:
This is true! I thing this would have satisfied both parameters!
You missed a chance to potentially make more cash than your entire calf crop will yield. Imagine a flyer that read.....
Come one, Come all. Cowgirls mud wrestling with Calves. Cheap, quality entertainment only $20! Limited number of tickets. Get yours today!
There you go!! I wore a bull costume & shook my groove thang 6 years in a row selling $20 tickets for a charity event (Big Bucks Bull Drop). Dignity is overrated & I could have easily solicited $$$ to cover vaccinations/meds for an entire year. :banana: