Here's to the "let them eat dirt" crowd

Cattle problems.
User avatar
Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1523
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:45 pm
Has thanked: 358 times
Been thanked: 251 times

Here's to the "let them eat dirt" crowd

Post by Brookhill Angus » Thu May 09, 2019 2:55 pm

I've been told my cattle are morbidly obese, when in fact they have the structure to handle their 2000 pound weights. I have heard the "old timers" say to cut their food off prior to calving. I've basically either read, been told, or have witnessed so many ill-fated ideas about how to raise cattle, that when I saw this on Angus media, I said to myself "maybe if they hear it from someone else besides Brookhill, they will believe what is said"

Unlike the starve them down strategy, our mommas eat like it's their last meal, like they are Olympians, right up till the day that calf pops out. Don't look to Brookhill for low birth weight preemies. We have big calves, very strong calves. We don't apologize for 100-pound birthweights.

You only get one chance to get it right, there are no do-overs with each calf crop. Why screw it up? Penny wise, pound foolish as the saying goes.

http://bit.ly/309F3qv


"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally." Oscar Wilde

Hook2.0
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 781
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:55 am
Location: NE Tennessee
Has thanked: 77 times
Been thanked: 111 times

Re: Here's to the "let them eat dirt" crowd

Post by Hook2.0 » Thu May 09, 2019 2:59 pm

Any idea on how they do on just grass? Asking for a friend
Proud to be a multiplier

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1537
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Piedmont of SC
Has thanked: 103 times
Been thanked: 220 times

Re: Here's to the "let them eat dirt" crowd

Post by Ebenezer » Thu May 09, 2019 3:09 pm

Strawman arguments to start. Define the "structure" to carry a ton if the BCS 5 or 6 would put the cow 300 or 450 pounds lighter. Hooves as big as diner plates, bones the size of a baseball bat, titanium joints, ...Better yet, define the purpose and benefit of obese cattle. Surely not economics if you read extension recommendations. Maybe the extension folks can be my "They say" and "Them" to be my personal strawmen.

Bragging on 100 pound birth weights. Then complaining that neighbors do not want to buy overpriced bulls that were 100 pound calves and were probably overfed. What is the world coming to?

Obese is defined by BCS. Look at the pictures and read the descriptions. It sure beats strawman arguments. Never heard an old timer say to cut food prior to calving either. Keep the faith. Spew the rhetoric. Buy feed and enjoy feeding the cows to be sows. More power to you.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9043
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 150 times
Been thanked: 372 times

Re: Here's to the "let them eat dirt" crowd

Post by True Grit Farms » Thu May 09, 2019 3:32 pm

Who would want a bull with a 100 lb BW? Someone had better be babysitting at calving time. I'll gladly give up 50 lbs of WW for a live calf that I don't have to worry about BW issues. I hate babysitting cattle.
Last edited by True Grit Farms on Thu May 09, 2019 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 12803
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY
Has thanked: 336 times
Been thanked: 295 times

Re: Here's to the "let them eat dirt" crowd

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Thu May 09, 2019 4:28 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 3:32 pm
Who would want a bull with a 100 lb BW? Someone had better be babysitting at calving time. I'll gladly give up 50 lbs for a live calf that I don't have to worry about BW issues. I hate babysitting cattle.
You want 50 pound calves?
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 12803
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY
Has thanked: 336 times
Been thanked: 295 times

Re: Here's to the "let them eat dirt" crowd

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Thu May 09, 2019 4:29 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 3:32 pm
Who would want a bull with a 100 lb BW? Someone had better be babysitting at calving time. I'll gladly give up 50 lbs for a live calf that I don't have to worry about BW issues. I hate babysitting cattle.
You want 50 pound calves?
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

User avatar
Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1523
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:45 pm
Has thanked: 358 times
Been thanked: 251 times

Re: Here's to the "let them eat dirt" crowd

Post by Brookhill Angus » Thu May 09, 2019 4:42 pm

Ebenezer wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 3:09 pm
Strawman arguments to start. Define the "structure" to carry a ton if the BCS 5 or 6 would put the cow 300 or 450 pounds lighter. Hooves as big as diner plates, bones the size of a baseball bat, titanium joints, ...Better yet, define the purpose and benefit of obese cattle. Surely not economics if you read extension recommendations. Maybe the extension folks can be my "They say" and "Them" to be my personal strawmen.

Bragging on 100 pound birth weights. Then complaining that neighbors do not want to buy overpriced bulls that were 100 pound calves and were probably overfed. What is the world coming to?

Obese is defined by BCS. Look at the pictures and read the descriptions. It sure beats strawman arguments. Never heard an old timer say to cut food prior to calving either. Keep the faith. Spew the rhetoric. Buy feed and enjoy feeding the cows to be sows. More power to you.
Eb, if I were to take the advice of our local extension office, my cattle would resemble deer, and their video and photos would not be posted anywhere. I run circles around them, no offense to the people that work there, but I'm 10 steps ahead and getting further out of site with each generation I produce. When they have something I can actually learn from or show me the success of their programs, real actual proof, then I might listen. My comments are based on actual results, not theory, results that I am having on my own operation.

You are a student of history, didn't Wye work tirelessly at producing bigger cattle?

Take a look at this photo, it's Adoph Rupp back in the day as the head of the Kentucky Hereford Association. Is this what you strive for, "baby cattle"? This little guy is cute as a button, but he would be kept as a pet in my yard, not a sire for my herd.

300

Low BW and calving ease have become synonymous with "sleep all day, golf all night", every auctioneer's go-to phrase when they need the crowd to bid a bit more aggressively on a puny bull.

We rarely pull calves, but when we do, no big deal, we do it and move on. Do we as humans cast a negative light on mothers that have a c section versus natural birth? If so, this crowd here would frown on them mercilessly.

I completely understand a producer not wanting to have calving problems, who would want to pull cattle constantly, but to overlook other traits solely because of calving ease tells me that they are solely interested in feet on the ground, not the genetic advancement of the herd.

I would take a terminal Angus sire over a "calving ease" from other breeds any day, solely based on the fact that Angus aren't known for their birthing issues. I have no problem using a negative CED bull on a heifer, given that she is about 14 months and healthy, and has the frame to support that mating. I see people using low BW, high CED bulls on mature cows because they are concerned about calving. If a cow can't have a 100 pound calf with ease, something is not right.
"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally." Oscar Wilde

Hook2.0
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 781
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:55 am
Location: NE Tennessee
Has thanked: 77 times
Been thanked: 111 times

Re: Here's to the "let them eat dirt" crowd

Post by Hook2.0 » Thu May 09, 2019 6:29 pm

How do your bulls, cows, calves do on grass alone?
Proud to be a multiplier

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9252
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:57 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 350 times
Been thanked: 353 times

Re: Here's to the "let them eat dirt" crowd

Post by Bright Raven » Thu May 09, 2019 6:56 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 3:32 pm
Who would want a bull with a 100 lb BW? Someone had better be babysitting at calving time. I'll gladly give up 50 lbs for a live calf that I don't have to worry about BW issues. I hate babysitting cattle.
I have to ask if you are exaggerating!

At least in the Simmental breed, most breeders expect a much better calf than 50 pounds. I average an 87 pound birthweight. I would like about 85 but would not want to go lower.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Hook2.0
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 781
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:55 am
Location: NE Tennessee
Has thanked: 77 times
Been thanked: 111 times

Re: Here's to the "let them eat dirt" crowd

Post by Hook2.0 » Thu May 09, 2019 6:57 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 6:56 pm
True Grit Farms wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 3:32 pm
Who would want a bull with a 100 lb BW? Someone had better be babysitting at calving time. I'll gladly give up 50 lbs for a live calf that I don't have to worry about BW issues. I hate babysitting cattle.
I have to ask if you are exaggerating!

At least in the Simmental breed, most breeders expect a much better calf than 50 pounds. I average an 87 pound birthweight. I would like about 85 but would not want to go lower.
I wouldn't want to go higher
Proud to be a multiplier

User avatar
sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4895
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:17 pm
Location: Southern IL
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 270 times

Re: Here's to the "let them eat dirt" crowd

Post by sim.-ang.king » Thu May 09, 2019 7:04 pm

Hook2.0 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 6:29 pm
How do your bulls, cows, calves do on grass alone?
"If they can't do it on their own, feed them till it appears that they can."
“The dream is ended- this is the morning.”

cjmc
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:52 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Here's to the "let them eat dirt" crowd

Post by cjmc » Thu May 09, 2019 7:20 pm

How big are the weaning weights of those 2,000 pound cows?

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14364
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 337 times
Been thanked: 276 times

Re: Here's to the "let them eat dirt" crowd

Post by Nesikep » Thu May 09, 2019 7:28 pm

I'd like to have 70-80 lb calves on my heifers, after that, they can do as they please, BW is irrelevant as long as they can handle it

This cow always pushes the limits of what she can handle.. she's not a big cow, but that calf.. well.. I think he's around 130, didn't feel like picking him up.
Image

This cow makes smaller calves, this is probably about an 70-80 lb heifer
Image

A month later, the weight spread between the two calves has INCREASED.

I'm going to try and take another pic
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9252
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:57 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 350 times
Been thanked: 353 times

Re: Here's to the "let them eat dirt" crowd

Post by Bright Raven » Thu May 09, 2019 7:31 pm

Brookhill

Your cows are big, I have not been over to see them on the ground but I don't think they are "morbidly obese". They certainly carry a lot of condition and I think you are feeding them grain when you should not be. I totally agree with the speaker in that video that cattle need proper nutrition.

I had a buyer here on Saturday who bought one bred cow, 2 bulls and 5 heifers. One of the heifers he bought was the Broadway that had a birthweight of 112 pounds. You may remember the picture of her that I posted. The guy was anxious to get a heifer that size. They have over 300 cows and said they range up to 1900 pounds. His preference in a cow is 1450 to 1500 pounds but he does not shy away from larger cows.

In my experience, calves that start out at say 64 pounds, never catch up with the bigger calves.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Hook2.0
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 781
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:55 am
Location: NE Tennessee
Has thanked: 77 times
Been thanked: 111 times

Re: Here's to the "let them eat dirt" crowd

Post by Hook2.0 » Thu May 09, 2019 7:35 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 7:31 pm
Brookhill

Your cows are big, I have not been over to see them on the ground but I don't think they are "morbidly obese". They certainly carry a lot of condition and I think you are feeding them grain when you should not be. I totally agree with the speaker in that video that cattle need proper nutrition.

I had a buyer here on Saturday who bought one bred cow, 2 bulls and 5 heifers. One of the heifers he bought was the Broadway that had a birthweight of 112 pounds. You may remember the picture of her that I posted. The guy was anxious to get a heifer that size. They have over 300 cows and said they range up to 1900 pounds. His preference in a cow is 1450 to 1500 pounds but he does not shy away from larger cows.
I hope they work out well for tt
Proud to be a multiplier

Post Reply