Molasses protein tubs.

Cattle problems.
Hardnosecattleco
Cowhand
Cowhand

Molasses protein tubs.

Post by Hardnosecattleco » Thu May 02, 2019 5:47 am

As just before pasture season starts I'm looking to fatten up the cattle before they get turned out to pasture. I'm pushing a 13% protein grain at about 8 pounds a head a day and free choice hay obviously. Am curious if anyone has experience with the molasses protein tubs they sell at the local feed stores? Would eventually like switch to bulk molasses in those lick tanks but for time being considered just those tubs. Any input would be great.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: Molasses protein tubs.

Post by Caustic Burno » Thu May 02, 2019 6:15 am

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=119271

Good discussion on minerals and supplements,tubs discussed on last page.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

Hardnosecattleco
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Hardnosecattleco » Thu May 02, 2019 11:29 am

I read that discussion 3 times and my answer wasn't in there just seemed like a bunch of bickering

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Post by ga.prime » Thu May 02, 2019 1:31 pm

if you did a cost analysis, I think you'd find the tubs are much more costly than the 13% protein grain you're feeding. You should stick with that. Cows love the tubs but all the ones I've seen are way overpriced comparative to buying liquid feed in bulk and loading it in lick tanks or feeding range cubes as a protein supplement.
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Post by Aaron » Thu May 02, 2019 1:33 pm

You don't push protein to make cattle fat, push energy. Throw the corn to them and watch them flourish *cough* I mean founder.

Only people who use protein tubs are people like me that feed garbage hay with 6% protein and have skinny cows with poor calves.
cor durum laborem

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Post by ga.prime » Thu May 02, 2019 1:43 pm

Tubs probably last a while where they stay rock hard frozen.

Hardnosecattleco
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Hardnosecattleco » Thu May 02, 2019 1:47 pm

ga.prime wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 1:31 pm
if you did a cost analysis, I think you'd find the tubs are much more costly than the 13% protein grain you're feeding. You should stick with that. Cows love the tubs but all the ones I've seen are way overpriced comparative to buying liquid feed in bulk and loading it in lick tanks or feeding range cubes as a protein supplement.
So you think pushing the grain is my ticket vs buying the tubs? I know there pricy have bought them before didn't use long enough to see a gain. Also am feeding flaked corn to just to gain something. Cheap alternative to silage since that's not really a option for my operation

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Post by ga.prime » Thu May 02, 2019 1:58 pm

Hardnosecattleco wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 1:47 pm
ga.prime wrote:
So you think pushing the grain is my ticket vs buying the tubs? I know there pricy have bought them before didn't use long enough to see a gain. Also am feeding flaked corn to just to gain something. Cheap alternative to silage since that's not really a option for my operation
As a protein supplement, yes I think you get a lot more for your money with grain rather than tubs. Only drawback is you have to meter out the grain based supplement every day. Lick tanks are the easiest and best way. Lick tanks last a long time.

Hardnosecattleco
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Hardnosecattleco » Thu May 02, 2019 2:17 pm

ga.prime wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 1:58 pm
Hardnosecattleco wrote:
ga.prime wrote:
As a protein supplement, yes I think you get a lot more for your money with grain rather than tubs. Only drawback is you have to meter out the grain based supplement every day. Lick tanks are the easiest and best way. Lick tanks last a long time.
It's been years since I've seen them lick tanks so wasn't sure if they were the thing of the past or not

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Thu May 02, 2019 2:22 pm

Hardnosecattleco wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 2:17 pm
ga.prime wrote:
Hardnosecattleco wrote:

It's been years since I've seen them lick tanks so wasn't sure if they were the thing of the past or not
Lick tank sitting in my pasture right now. Liquid feed is 310 a ton for 185 gallons @ 30% protein. You better have forage or hay if you go that route.
Tub is absolutely the worst value on the dollar for buying protein. You got 60 lbs of protein for 3 dollars a pound.
For the same money spent here you could buy 1000 pounds of 2-1 @ 26% protein in a super sack . For the same money you could have fed 260 lbs of protein. You’re buying convenience .
Much cheaper to build a bulk feeder to supplement.

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Post by gcreekrch » Thu May 02, 2019 2:35 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 2:22 pm
Hardnosecattleco wrote:
ga.prime wrote:

Lick tank sitting in my pasture right now. Liquid feed is 310 a ton for 185 gallons @ 30% protein. You better have forage or hay if you go that route.
Tub is absolutely the worst value on the dollar for buying protein. You got 60 lbs of protein for 3 dollars a pound.
For the same money spent here you could buy 1000 pounds of 2-1 @ 26% protein in a super sack . For the same money you could have fed 260 lbs of protein. You’re buying convenience .
What percentage of this lick is water?

The Orwig 20% tubs we use are touted to have 98% of water cooked out of them. They cost us $1425 per short ton or 7 cents per lb. A lot of that is freight as the are made in North Dakota.

If one were to calculate liquid feed at 80% water your lick is now at 7.75 cents per lb dry matter. I am guessing the water content is higher than that.
We had 700 females of poor quality grass from weaning until we started feeding in mid December last fall. It cost .75 per head per day to keep them rustling and doing well.

I will agree that once one is feeding daily that a grain supplement goes farther to putting on weight and filling bellies.
Last edited by gcreekrch on Thu May 02, 2019 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Thu May 02, 2019 2:42 pm

gcreekrch wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 2:35 pm
Caustic Burno wrote:
Hardnosecattleco wrote:

Not very much if any. I know a big operation that uses liquid in open top tubs, and the rain floats on top of the liquid feed.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Thu May 02, 2019 2:46 pm

Here's why the lick tubs can get expensive, only select animals here get it and only for a limited time
https://photos.app.goo.gl/f5xHhRY86RFxzTGP8
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Post by sim.-ang.king » Thu May 02, 2019 3:53 pm

gcreekrch wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 2:35 pm
Caustic Burno wrote:
Hardnosecattleco wrote:

The Orwig 20% tubs we use are touted to have 98% of water cooked out of them. They cost us $1425 per short ton or 7 cents per lb. A lot of that is freight as the are made in North Dakota.

If one were to calculate liquid feed at 80% water your lick is now at 7.75 cents per lb dry matter. I am guessing the water content is higher than that.
We had 700 females of poor quality grass from weaning until we started feeding in mid December last fall. It cost .75 per head per day to keep them rustling and doing well.

I will agree that once one is feeding daily that a grain supplement goes farther to putting on weight and filling bellies.
Depends on brand but most liquid feed is 50-65% DM as is. Depends on what steep water: molasses/oil ratio they use. The one's that use more urea have a higher DM.
Why should I apologize for becoming a monster?
Did anyone apologize for making me one?

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Thu May 02, 2019 4:08 pm

It’s Westway liquid feed 32% protein 4% fat and a host of other minerals I can’t remember percentages. Their website is down right now.
It’s got my cows looking poorly.
I use it in the spring my grass is almost pure water and again in October to clean up stockpiled pasture.
It’s a grass management tool.