Our President calf lost his mommy today. Very sad moment for us at Brookhill

Cattle problems.
Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Our President calf lost his mommy today. Very sad moment for us at Brookhill

Post by Bright Raven » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:10 am

That is one of the downsides to life. You told me about this. I still think she might have gotten overcentered even on level ground. I saw W.B. also mention that. Your cows are big and heavy. Right now with this nice weather, I notice cows laying over totally on their side instead of on their sternum. A big cow can struggle getting her legs back under her.

BTW: there was absolutely no lightning associated with the storm. It was just a very light rain. I assume it was the same over there.

"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Rydero
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Our President calf lost his mommy today. Very sad moment for us at Brookhill

Post by Rydero » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:04 am

Sorry about the loss, never nice to lose a cow. I'd tend to agree it could have been overcentered especially after last night because we had one here. My calving shift runs to 2 am and I had a heifer calve. I decided to make sure the calf nursed before sleep so I stayed out there till 3. Noticed another calving so when I went to bed I let my wife know. By 4 she was waking me up because the one calving was on her back. Ended up she was in such a pickle I needed the tractor to get her up. Joke is around here that my wife tips them, she's saved 3 or 4 already over the last couple years, we lost a couple too, not always when calving.

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:27 am

Generally if they expired from being on their back there is quite a sign of struggle.
Also, I've found the best way to get them back on their feet (when the tractor isn't immediately handy) is to grab them by the tail and pull towards the head. The downside to this procedure is that cows rescued from this predicament are very seldom thankful towards the rescuer, so it is wise to have an escape plan.

76 Bar
Rancher
Rancher

Post by 76 Bar » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:28 am

Sorry you lost a cow. Looking forward to the autopsy report. Considering she was on flat terrain and aside from the slight depression at her head it doesn't appear she struggled if at all. Considering you'd observed her the previous day and all was well and unless it was usually hot I'd be suspicious of how quickly she bloated.

Rydero
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Rydero » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:46 am

Silver wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:27 am
Generally if they expired from being on their back there is quite a sign of struggle.
Also, I've found the best way to get them back on their feet (when the tractor isn't immediately handy) is to grab them by the tail and pull towards the head. The downside to this procedure is that cows rescued from this predicament are very seldom thankful towards the rescuer, so it is wise to have an escape plan.
Two of us couldn't right her. In a hole, front foot through a panel, head curled up against it, calf feet sticking out. We could've pulled her tail all night, it was a full on clusterfunk, lmao. They can sure get themselves in trouble!

The autopsy will tell. Seen some where there's big sign of trouble, others where there isn't. Hard to say.

W.B.
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by W.B. » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:54 am

The fact she is left side up makes me think that she overcentered. I have seen some that fought hard to stay alive and I have seen some give up rather easily. Just really hard to understand sometimes. I am sorry for your loss Brookhill. Hang in there if this business were easy every one would be doing it. No one is promised tomorrow and that applies to cattle as well.

Davemk
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Davemk » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:54 am

Read this thread. Walked out the door to the barn and there in the feedlot is my sons show steer dead from bloat. Not a good day.

Sorry for your loss Brookhill.

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:00 pm

Davemk wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:54 am
Read this thread. Walked out the door to the barn and there in the feedlot is my sons show steer dead from bloat. Not a good day.

Sorry for your loss Brookhill.

Gosh dang. Very sorry Dave.
Diogenes.

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:21 pm

Sorry to hear that Dave.

I came across a week old calf laying on the ground kicking and grunting bloated up two days ago. Fortunately I had was in time to let the air out and and give her Resflor. Hasn't looked back yet, hopefully she keeps on keeping on.

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Post by gcreekrch » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:27 pm

An old Norsk from this country always said, "He who has must lose."

Never fun to lose them.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:47 pm

Dave and Brookhill.. that sucks for both.
I've actually had a pretty good year, though I've had a lot of close calls, Today a first timer had a 100ish lb heifer calf, both front legs facing the wrong way, a prolapse 4 nights ago, that was a stressful night and I looked like an axe murderer by the end of it, and 2 weeks ago another first timer had a calf I swore I'd pull in half getting it out.. However, they're all doing well

Go watch some calves play.. really helps with the blood pressure.
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:05 am

I finally got the picture to enlarge. The armchair vet in me agrees with the above posts that bloat was the cause. She was obviously flailing her head and feet around.

slick4591
Mentor
Mentor

Post by slick4591 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:14 am

Sorry for your loss, Brookhill.
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Post by Lucky_P » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:19 am

Grass tetany?
Retired, so I'm out of touch with what's going on across the state, but it's that time of year... saw a press release from Dr. Arnold earlier this week, and a Drovers article about numerous GT deaths in MO...

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:23 am

Lucky_P wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:19 am
Grass tetany?
Retired, so I'm out of touch with what's going on across the state, but it's that time of year... saw a press release from Dr. Arnold earlier this week, and a Drovers article about numerous GT deaths in MO...
Lucky,

Our grass over here is still pretty puny. Only in the last 3 days has it started. Plus, Brookhill uses excellent mineral (I think he said he found a mineral better than Vitaferm which he had been using).

Just some information to consider!
Diogenes.