Apple trees in pasture

Cattle problems.
bigsteve
Beginner
Beginner

Apple trees in pasture

Post by bigsteve » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:19 pm

We have a large plot that connects to our property that I am considering fencing in with electric. There is a vacant mobile home and several apple trees. This yard is full of the most lush, thick, green grass we have anywhere on the property. We have been spending hours every time we mow it for years, and we are ready to fence it in. Our cows are known to eat tree leaves. Do any of you have apple trees anywhere in your pasture and do cows eat the leaves? Could it be harmful? Thanks.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Apple trees in pasture

Post by Nesikep » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:42 pm

I have 3 ANCIENT trees in one of my fields.. cows eat leaves they can reach, rub on them, etc... no harm to the cows but if the trees are valuable then they'll be hard on them
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:45 pm

Over on the coast I had 7 or 8 apple trees in the pasture or over hanging the fence. Nothing about apple leaf that will hurt a cow. I hear people complain about cows choking on the apples but I never had a problem with that. And my cows ate a ton of apples every year. people talk about leading their cows with a bucket of grain. I have done that with apples a number of times. Here I have a couple apple trees in the yard. The deer eat any leaf they can reach. They appear pretty darn healthy.

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Post by lithuanian farmer » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:08 pm

Have a couple apple trees in one pasture. Cows love coming to that one in fall when there are plenty of apples on the ground and on the tree itself. They eat everything they can reach- apples, leaves. No harm except of a choking possibility. Never happened here, but it does happen for other people sometimes.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:59 pm

As mentioned, choking is always a potential - but, my cattle have lots of apple trees in their pastures. Did have one get 'drunk" on over-ripe apples.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:17 pm

I lost a weaned steer last year that choked on a hedge apple, little larger than an apple. It does happen. Cows, not as often simply because of their size, it's easier for them to break it apart with a couple good bites.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:18 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:59 pm
As mentioned, choking is always a potential - but, my cattle have lots of apple trees in their pastures. Did have one get 'drunk" on over-ripe apples.
Did you get a video? :lol:

snoopdog
GURU
GURU

Post by snoopdog » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:02 pm

TCRanch wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:18 pm
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:59 pm
Did you get a video? :lol:
I wish I had a video of an ole mallard that ate a bunch of mash, I'd like to know if he was really that funny acting, or if it was me and my cohorts!
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Redgully
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Redgully » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:52 pm

I've been a fruit grower my whole life although now we only have five acres of production left. We used to pack around 60 000 boxes of fruit a year and all the reject fruit went to the cows. You have to be careful, any more than a box of fruit a cow who hasn't had fruit for a month or so can bloat them or even worse cause acidosis. Pears are the worst. But we slowly increased what they ate over two weeks and then we used to dump truck loads in there and they would eat as much as they wanted without a worry, even pears. Over thirty years of doing this we never lost one but we did have a few cysts that the vet reckons may have been caused by the fruit. When eating stonefruit they eat the whole thing and then when they sit and chew cud they leave a big pile of seeds. I had two over the years choke on apples. You see them frothing at the mouth and distressing. Now this will sound stupid but to fix it you chase them around and it makes them cough it out and they can fly a long way when they come out. If cows get access to your apple trees they will remove everything they can reach and if they get hungry or are lacking minerals they will start stripping the bark and kill the tree. If the tree is tall if you put mesh around the trunk and let the cows trim all they can reach they actually look fantastic. But many apple trees aren't tall enough to do that.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:33 pm

TCRanch wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:17 pm
I lost a weaned steer last year that choked on a hedge apple, little larger than an apple. I
The taste of those things alone is enough to kill anything...
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Post by wbvs58 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:00 am

Like most things with livestock, the risk is always higher with hungry animals like if a bin of apples is put out to them they will be fighting to get as much as possible and risk of choke higher. I would think that by just browsing the fruit the risk would be much lower.

Ken

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:21 am

No - it was back when we didn't have our fancy cell phones.
I had one cow, in the fall, would walk up to a fence, observe the height, jump it and proceed to eat all the apples on other side of fence. Drove the rest of the herd nuts. We had an OLD metal yoke, had a maybe 2' bar that came up with a "hook" on end and one that went down. Nasty me - we put it on her, I held out a pan of grain and enticed her to reach over the fence. LOL - she quit fence jumping! Good thing, if she jumped with that on, she might have wiped out all our temp fencing in one jump.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:29 am

Jeanne, when I was a kid, a neighbor of ours made a fence yoke out of wood...heavy wood. The things that old cow would do and positions it would get into to eat was amazing. She did most of her grazing down on knees and head twisted to one side, but she never tried to go thru a fence with it on.
I haven't seen a fence yoke used in decades...
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:39 am

We lost a cow to choking on potatoes.. had to be a beautiful cow too... Yeah, they just get greedy, I think it's especially when they hog them and put 4 in their mouth at the same time.

Redgully, we used to grow veggies... Ever been around a cow that's had her fill of onions?? The stench is something else, you can smell her burps from 100 yards away, upwind of her!.. what's the term, knock a buzzard off a corpse or something?

We had some fence yokes for sheep.. was easier to just get rid of the sheep though.
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:13 pm

YES!!! this was decades ago!! We found the yoke in our barn after moving here to NY in 1978.